How nervous were you | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How nervous were you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am incredibly nervous fan - really bad. Probably should be medicated during games.

I wasn’t nervous at all in the second half. We really did not even play that well on offense and Purdue couldn’t really get any traction. Game was pretty much over a few minutes after halftime.

Reaction Score
I was very nervous -- always am in this type of situation, that's how I am -- I had the game on but could barely watch, only listen, until about the 10 minute mark in the second half. The more we started pulling away, of course I felt better. At 1 AM I was still awake and thrilled/amped, so I watched the replay of the game on CBS Sports in relative peace!

Reaction Score
Not at all. You’re also misremembering tbe game. UConn took a double digit lead with 15 minutes left to go, it got down to 9, but UConn immediately went up 11 with 13+ minutes to go and never let it go under double digits. UConn was never losing that game. The Purdue guards were too small, too slow, couldn’t do anything with the pressure our guards put on em.
Came here to say the same. Last time it was close as 7 was 41-34 with about 16:30 remaining.

Reaction Score
I started doing that math at the under 8 TO. How many possessions was UConn up by, how many points to make it impossible for Purdue to overcome the deficit.

Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Was more relaxed last season's tournament run than this year. Struggled with thinking the fickle finger of fate would bite us preventing an historical accomplishment of back to back championships.

That early Tristen foul had me nervous.

That first foul on Clingan had me nervous.

The two quick fouls on Slamson had me nervous.

Clingan getting that third foul in the second half with a lot of time remaining had me nervous until Slamson made Edey nervous with those back to back dunks. And then he gets number four so I'm nervous again.

The second and third fouls called on Cam made me nervous.

That was my theme. I felt the refs would decide this game. Thankfully they didn't.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm always thinking worst case scenario, yet last night the rational side of my head was talking me down. Their guards were nothing, Spencer seem to do whatever he wanted. Edey was gassed 8 minutes in. Even worst case scenario me couldn't conjure up how they could fight back.

Reaction Score
I wasn't nervous at that point. Typically I pace around my living room for big games; I stood for a few minutes during the electric start from both teams but I was still pretty calm. I was sitting on my couch for most of the tournament, it was very odd to feel so calm and confident but when you've seen the same movie over and over again you start to trust your instincts on how it will end. Same as the Illinois game, same as the Alabama game.

Once I saw Edey tire out in the first half I knew Purdue was done. I didn't expect him to be gassed that quickly.

Reaction Score
When Clingan and Johnson both had 4 fouls and there was about 7 minutes to go and the lead was 7 or 9?

I felt a lot of anxiety.

Hurley is a genius for going small with Karaban, who got fouled so many times and no whistle blown.

I thought Hurley might go with Stewart, but he needed Karaban's offensive potential.

The refs did everything they could on jump balls to give possession to Purdue. It was obvious
I respect exactly what you said in your last line about the refs .... what the hell is that about the refs in both the UConn womens loss and these men's game? Everyone should love the Huskies or at least respect them and treat them as such ....

Reaction Score
I wasn't really nervous at all, and it's funny, because I'm a worrier. (Hey, I grew up a Red Sox fan, what can I say), but I was extremely confident. Edey was gassed and could only score by bulling through Karaban and the team kept scoring. As soon as I saw that Hurley and the team was sticking to "let the big guy get his, but shut down the 3-pt line", I knew they would be fine.
Purdue has an efficient offense, but they aren't explosive as in putting up big numbers and short amounts of time, and they hadn't faced the pressure of Castle, Newton, Diarra and Spencer before last night.

Reaction Score
I wasn't comfortable until it was about 4 minutes left with the double digit lead. I was doing quick math "even if we don't score any more and Purdue does, if we take 30 seconds off the shot clock"... blah blah.

I kept waiting for Purdue to make a run - obviously they were going to ride Edey as far as they could. He got them far. But we had too much talent at all other positions (1-4) and they could not overcome that.

Like some said, it was great seeing Karaban battle Edey. I thought Edey fouled Karaban on almost every offensive possession. None of it was called.

All's well that ends well. But I was still nervous till the 2 minute mark. Only then did I start celebrating.
Love the stats at the end of your post, showing all the years UConn has won one {or two) championships and if that isn't the most amazing show of dominance in the history of college basketball??????

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Love the stats at the end of your post, showing all the years UConn has won one {or two) championships and if that isn't the most amazing show of dominance in the history of college basketball??????
thank you. obviously i need to update mine but when i try, i get a message that the "signature is too long", so i need to get a mod to fix it...

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I must admit the past 2 NCAA runs have been drama free, but kind of felt a bit void of some adrenaline that went thru previous runs. I guess that's good too!

Reaction Score
The edibles kicked in by that time so I was quite relaxed and had not a single worry.

Reaction Score
Going into the stadium it looked like we UConn fans were out numbered 10 to 1. The Purdue fans were loud and excited. We UConn fans seemed reserved. By the middle of the second half the rolls had turned, we were loud and excited and they were quite and seemed to accept their teams fate. So I would say a lot of us at the game very confident and not nervous.

Reaction Score
I was shook last year and shook this year. Kept having flashbacks of Duke vs MD 99 and hoping catastrophe was avoided. In the afterglow, it was fruitless to worry. We cruised. What a beautiful run. And it ain't over yet...

Reaction Score
If you read my post on Sunday after watching Purdue on Saturday.
Their Big‘s baskets didn’t break NCS
it was his kicks out to the. wide open three point Shooter . With Clingan just harassing him in single coverage he was 13-25 on two pointers by they only managed 1 three on a broken plays He could’ve scored 40 and it didn’t matter.
Even with our bigs sitting our lead was safe because they were exhausted and couldn’t get stops . Our motion and guard size is difficult to get stops even when fresh .
Zero 3 ‘s + No stops and they’re done.
I wasn’t 100% but I was pretty sure we had it at the half . I ran into some UConn fans in the corridor and we fist bumped an we both said we have this .

Reaction Score
I was nervous a few months ago when Clingan looked like he'd be another jumbo, injury prone big man. This tournament was light work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was extra focused during the Alabama game because they were hitting crazy shots and there was a chance we would run out of time for a reversion to the mean of their shooting.

Illinois is the only team UConn faced the whole tournament that I think matched up reasonably well with UConn, but then 30-0 happened and that was that.

Edey played out of his mind for the game to be as close as it was. I was not worried at any point last night.

Reaction Score
The Bama game made me very nervous because of Nate Oats history with Hurley and Alabamas athletes and 3 pt shooting.

The Pudue game I was nervous during the day just because of the history at stake going for back to back championships knowing historical teams have come up short. I had a few negative thoughts in my mind thinking that I would be devasted to see these guys come short.

I ate a burrito around 5 knowing I wasn’t going to eat the rest of the day, and my nerves went away. Picked up a 24 pack of Miller light and then decided that maybe I shouldn’t have a Miller Lite since I didnt drink one during a game in March, so I figured don’t mess with the mojo. You find out mojo is just a myth or maybe this team was just to damn good mojo or no mojo.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t nervous before or during last nights game. They did exactly what I thought they’d do only I had a 17 pt win instead of a 15 pt win.

Before the game I was nervous about Illinois.
During the game I was nervous about Alabama.

5-6 minutes into the second half of both games erased those nerves.

Reaction Score
I was nervous until Edey got tired at 23-23. You could see that even though he was borderline dominant, he was working harder than usual because of Donovan. He was gassed, they subbed him out, and immediately we went inside to DC for a three point play. Purdue knew they couldn’t sub him and we were able to suffocate them. I knew we had a couple of small runs in us that would push it to 10+ and then we would cruise.

Reaction Score
When Clingan and Johnson both had 4 fouls and there was about 7 minutes to go and the lead was 7 or 9?

I felt a lot of anxiety.

Hurley is a genius for going small with Karaban, who got fouled so many times and no whistle blown.

I thought Hurley might go with Stewart, but he needed Karaban's offensive potential.

The refs did everything they could on jump balls to give possession to Purdue. It was obvious
That was the only time I was even slightly concerned in the game, but didn't last long.

Even in the first half when they were keeping it close, I wasn't worried. Especially once I saw Edey shooting free throws for the first time and he was sweating and breathing hard. Knew we had them at that point, was just a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom