How much more can Stewie improve in 2014-2015..?? | The Boneyard

How much more can Stewie improve in 2014-2015..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
stewie dressed up.jpg

On the surface, that might seem a silly question. Having won back to back National Championships, in which she was twice the Most Outstanding Player, maybe Breanna Stewart doesn't need to improve much at all. On the other hand, if Geno is right about Stewie, she may have a chance to become one of the greatest players ever in WCBB with that rare combination of unstoppable offensive production and unlimited defensive talent. A player who dominates the game at either end of the court, pretty much whenever she wants. Geno is probably right, there is always room for some improvement. ;)

From her freshman to sophomore seasons, Stewie improved in virtually every statistical category. Offensively, her scoring total went from 497 points to 777, a 56% rise. Even more remarkably, her assists rocketed from just 35 to 122, an astounding 248% improvement. Her 291 made field goals were 51 more than 2nd place Bria Hartley and her 147 made free throws were 62 ahead of 2nd place Hartley. Those 147 made free throws were more than the 112 she attempted from freshman year. Stewie also led the team in offensive rebounds w/ 92, up from 78, which was only 3rd on the team.

Stewie led UConn in scoring 22 times, including 9 of the last 11 games of the season. That streak covered the last two regular season games, all three AAC tournament games and 4 of the 6 NCAA tournament contests. She was dominant offensively despite being the focus of every opponent's game plan. :cool:

Defensively, she was a monster on the best defensive team in the nation. Rebounds went from 229 to 324, 41% better. Blocked shots jumped from 74 two years ago to 110 this past season. Even steals improved from 41 to 63. Remarkably, Stewie had those 324 rebounds, 110 blocked shots and 63 steals while only committing 62 personal fouls, less than 1.5 fouls per game. It is hard to imagine those gaudy numbers won't improve further w/ another season of strength conditioning, maturity and added confidence. The thought of a stronger, smarter and more confident Stewie must give opposing teams nightmares.

Stewie's field goal accuracy from inside the 3 point line was 54.5%. From 3 pt range it was "only" 34.3%. Both can probably improve this coming year. (By comparison, MoJeff made 2 pt shots at a 64% rate and 3's at 42%.) The graduation of Hartley and Dolson, who together took 878 shots and scored 1,145 points, should give Stewie plenty of additional offensive opportunities. Geno has indicated she is working on "scoring off the dribble" to go along w/ her shooting and cutting ability. With Dolson gone, her 122 assists should go up as well with more of the offense running through her at the top of key.

Can Stewie get even better this season? Probably, but not just because every player can improve some part of their game. Stewie herself has said her goal is to constantly refine and improve how she plays. That motivation, along with Geno & staff's coaching, is a combination that just might make the best player in WCBB, even better. One last thought, Stewie won't turn 20 years old until August 27th. At some level, it almost becomes unfair. :rolleyes:

Go Stewie..!! Go Huskies..!!

P.S. One of my favorite pictures of Breanna, who as a young lady and role model doesn't need to improve at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good report David. Some games, Stewie wouldn't have many points in the first 15 minutes and then she'd start putting it in the bucket to end up with 20+ points. When she is "on", she is scary good offensively. That said, I think I like her defense even better.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this and your provocative thoughts. I respectfully believe Stewie can run up as many numbers as necessary for the team to be successful. However, her stats may not be as gaudy 'cause, given the level of competiton in many of our games, it's probable she will spend time on the bench cheering the others on. Just a thought.....................

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Thanks for this and your provocative thoughts. I respectfully believe Stewie can run up as many numbers as necessary for the team to be successful. However, her stats may not be as gaudy 'cause, given the level of competiton in many of our games, it's probable she will spend time on the bench cheering the others on. Just a thought......

cookie....thanks for your thoughts. Not sure if Stewie plays less than her 1,221 minutes from last year or more. Dolson is gone and the 4 new players are 3 guards and a wing. Kiah probably starts and is not available to give Stewie a breather. Much depends on Morgan Tuck's health. Any time Stewie is sitting, UConn is "going small." You're right that against many teams Geno won't need Stewie's talents. Can't wait to see how it plays out...!! :)

Reaction Score
Thanks for this and your provocative thoughts. I respectfully believe Stewie can run up as many numbers as necessary for the team to be successful. However, her stats may not be as gaudy 'cause, given the level of competiton in many of our games, it's probable she will spend time on the bench cheering the others on. Just a thought......

I agree with your level of competition analysis. However, the problem could be Tuck's health. If she is not able to play to a high enough level, that would leave Stewart, Stokes and KML up front. When either Stewart or Stokes sit, you would have to move
KML to the 4 and have one of the freshman play the 3. I don't see this as a problem during conference games but it would be in the NCAA's. Let's just hope that Tuck will be healthy this year.

Reaction Score
cookie....thanks for your thoughts. Not sure if Stewie plays less than her 1,221 minutes from last year or more. Dolson is gone and the 4 new players are 3 guards and a wing. Kiah probably starts and is not available to give Stewie a breather. Much depends on Morgan Tuck's health. Any time Stewie is sitting, UConn is "going small." You're right that against many teams Geno won't need Stewie's talents. Can't wait to see how it plays out...!! :)
You beat me to it.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't compare MoJeff's three point shooting with Bre's. Breanna took many more and with people knowing she was the number one option. Moriah doesn't get that kind of attention when she's behind the arc. Not a fair comparison.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Geno said he wants Breanna to improve on beating people off the dribble. That is a skill that, if she develops, will make her truly unstoppable.

Reaction Score
After she recovers from her sophomore slump, puts on a little muscle, grows out of her gangly "goofiness"a little and starts to 'get it' like upperclassmen do, she could be really good :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It would be nice if she could improve her 3-point accuracy to the high 30's, and be more consistent generally with her jump shooting to cut down on the "feast or famine" syndrome. But I still think her game will be mostly inside.

I agree with Geno and the previous poster about improving her ball handling so that she can penetrate more effectively.

Simply growing up as a person (as Tina did and as Kiah appears to be doing) should greatly improve her consistency. If her mental state is less affected by whether she missed her last two shots, what Geno said, or how the crowd is reacting, that will lead to greater consistency.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Improved free throws would be nice ;)

01Neag.....agree improved free throw shooting is always nice. Of interest, Stewie shot 77.4% this past year and 77.7% as a freshman. Shooting 80% this year would have meant only 5 more made free throws. The key this year was she went to the line 190 times vs 112 two years ago. The result was 60 more points. As teams fail to stop her from scoring, they will continue to foul. Trips to the line, as well as percentage made is key. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
01Neag.....agree improved free throw shooting is always nice. Of interest, Stewie shot 77.4% this past year and 77.7% as a freshman. Shooting 80% this year would have meant only 5 more made free throws. The key this year was she went to the line 190 times vs 112 two years ago. The result was 60 more points. As teams fail to stop her from scoring, they will continue to foul. Trips to the line, as well as percentage made is key. :)
Well proven by the UConn men this past year in the NCAA's...

HGN

Reaction Score
UConn is going to be a hard out either way you look at it. But Morgan Tuck is the key.........If Tuck is healthy and can provide a breather to either Stewie or Kiah , Uconn is truly going to be difficult to handle.

David's analysis is mostly dead on.........If Stewie adds a dribble-drive to her game , I don't see any stopping her either. She becomes more dangerous outside because opponents will give her room, afraid of the blow-by. If they get too close she can use that blow-by and get inside the lane/paint where its 2pts or 2 free throws....Or she can choose the option of passing it back out to a WIDE open KML or Ekmark.

That added skill is going to improve Stewie's game as well as UConn's ability to score and win games.

It may be hard to imagine , but the added skill of a dribble-drive by Stewie , and good health of Morgan Tuck , could offset the loss of Dolson and Hartley and put UConn right back in the FF.

Reaction Score
How about 1000+ points, 100+ offensive rebounds, AND 2 times running the length of the court to block shots.

Reaction Score
Is there a stat for saves? In this years final she saved at least three possessions, I remember two on the offensive end where she saved balls from going out and flicked them to teammates, and one she saved by bouncing it off an opponent.

Reaction Score
The only person that is capable of stopping Breanna Stewart this year is Breanna Stewart. This year without Dolson and Hartley means that Stewart will be looked to for more of a leadership role and {along with KML }as the main scoring option. As long as she does not try to do too much, plays relaxed, and lets the game come to her which I think she will then there is no limit as to how good she can be.

Reaction Score
1. Improve her free throw percentage. I think its a matter of concentration. I have always thought less than 85% is poor.
2. Find a way to get as psyched up for the routine games as she does on the big stage.
3. Grow another 2 inches.:p

Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She needs to dunk, of course!! :)

I'm just kidding, though Geno said he expects it.

You guys covered most of what I was thinking:

1. Get stronger. It will help her get position better, score with contact (whether called or not), and grab more rebounds.

2. Improve her FT shooting. I think Maya has improved over the past 4 years or so. Stewie is good, but I'd love to see 82-86%.

3. Improve 3-point shooting. Again, she's good, but 38-42% would be better.

4. Learn the game more. Nothing specific, just things that come from experience and listening to Geno.

5. Shooting off the dribble better would be great. I thought her pull-up jumper was the weak spot in her repertoire.

6. As Maya often did, take over games from the onset. One of Maya's goals was to give her team a big lead in the first few minutes. Last night, she had 15 in the first quarter. I'd love to see a score of Stewie 8 v. the other guys 4 at the first TO.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
1. Improve her free throw percentage. I think its a matter of concentration. I have always thought less than 85% is poor.
2. Find a way to get as psyched up for the routine games as she does on the big stage.
3. Grow another 2 inches.:p
Replying to you, but also to others having the same expectations of free throw accuracy. In the history of the Uconn program, only eight players have a career average of 80% or better and only three above 85%. Sweat shooting Maya Moore - career average a miserable 79.8%. In fact there have only been 5 players who topped 85% for a single year and only one of those players shot more than 100 FTs. (Sue with 104.)
80% is a much more realistic expectation for a great shooter, and 75+% is very very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom