How good is UConn really | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How good is UConn really

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, not in this case. She's listed 6'3" with ND and when she played for U.S.A. Basketball in the 3x3 tourney. She's both taller and more solid than older sister, Kat (who was 6'1" and change). Take a look Saturday.
I defer to your assessment. However, Westbeld will have her hands full on Saturday. She’ll be matched up with UConn’s “power forward,” who is currently playing at a level above and beyond her performance 3 seasons ago when she was the consensus NPOY.

Reaction Score
After yesterdays blow out it is becoming expected by some fans to blow out everybody, because UConn is playing at a different level. UConn is playing suffocating defense and enjoying it. UConn is playing with high energy, intensity and confidence and having fun doing it. Because theyre having fun they are relaxed confident and can operate and doing it. Alot of fans are saying the BE is weak. Well Creighton and Marquette are are ranked in the top 25 and we play them twice during the season, not once like some teams in other conferences. How many top conferences have teams at the bottom of their conference that are close in caliber to the bottom teams in the BE conference? Most do. I look at other conferences and see teams that arent very good just like the BE. I dont see the top teams in those conferences beating the bottom teams by 30+ let alone 40+ consistently. I look at UConn with 5 top players on the bench winning by 30+ pts against some pretty good teams and some not such pretty good teams and some of those teams are top teams in other conferences and UConn is doing this with 5 of their top players on the bench. Then I look at teams with one top player on the bench and they struggle and some have been loosing games to unranked teams.

UConn fans are excited about UConn again. We have a suffocating defense. We have alot of players who look to score and are not dependent on Paige and Aaliyah where most teams direct their attention. Have you noticed are balanced scoring in the past few games. Look at box scores of other teams. Look at UConns shooting percentages. Look at UConns starting 5-7 players and notice the decreased turnovers made and the increase in turnovers by opponents. We are reaching our stride.

We have games coming up that will be a real test. A much improved ND team that has gotten Westbeld and Citron back. ND too has suffered alot of injuries. How will they hold up against UConns defense. We have SC down the road. When we play these teams one thing will stand out. How well their ball handlers handle UConns defense. Alot of UConns success has been directly related to opponents not being able to handle UConns defense because they dont have the ball handlers and passing to release the pressure to operate their offense. I dont care how good a team is, trying to operate and run your offense under duress is very difficult and thats how UConn has been blowing teams out. Playing under duress affects the way you think and causes panic and panic causes you to speed up loosing your poise. Will opponenets down the road be able to make adjustments? We will see. ND now has some scorers and so does SC. These games will be a good test for UConn. Both teams have more height then UConn but the one thing imo they dont have is UConns defense
I believe UConn is better than the record indicates but the lack of a dominating post is hard to overcome if the opposing team has a really physical post player. South Carolina, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, Texas, LSU, have very physical post players and will all pose a problem for any team they play without physical post play. UConn needs a physical presence in the post position to be a serious NC contender.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I believe UConn is better than the record indicates but the lack of a dominating post is hard to overcome if the opposing team has a really physical post player. South Carolina, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, Texas, LSU, have very physical post players and will all pose a problem for any team they play without physical post play. UConn needs a physical presence in the post position to be a serious NC contender.
Your right UConn does not have a physical post player however UConn has a terrific defense that causes opponents to rush their shots and get rid of the ball like theyre holding a hot potato. UConns defense causes duruss which forces turnovers and rushed shots. This is what has helped UConn since the Texas game blow out opponents. I believe their 4 guard offense promotes UConns quickness, energy and breeds intensity. This will help make up for their lack of physicality. The key for UConn is Aaliyah Edwards must stay out of foul trouble against top teams. UConn starters are shooting the ball over 50% from the floor. Opponents have their hands full defending UConn. We play SC in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to seeing that game which will be a barometer showing where we are.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
How good is UConn?
after watching significant stretches of creative and effective BB, last night....they're very good.
I'm not in the least worried about Notre Dame.

I have a terrible record of prognosticating when they're going to dominate...somewhat better when I sense they're vulnerable.

But if they play like the best of last night; they can make most teams look like amateurs...as they have been doing.

And the Notre Dame game could look just like any of our recent dismantling of the Big East...

I really liked that Nika realized. after not shooting much in the last game, that she might be the key to
unlocking our offensive potential...which was a bit stagnant...which opened up Ash (who had also been very circumspect about shooting early on).

How smart of Nika to realize it mid-game...they left her wide open...just what she feasts on.

I wouldn't relish being Niele, a fine defensive player in her day...on a plan to disrupt our offense.

Should be an interesting game...and a most satisfactory one if my analysis is correct.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Last nite Paige did what Geno has been talking about. Shoot more and shoot early. She got UConn going along with Aaliyah No one else was involved early on. Once we got off to that good start everybody else got involved mainly because Paige set them up. Reminded me alot of how DT played. Remarkable

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I defer to your assessment. However, Westbeld will have her hands full on Saturday. She’ll be matched up with UConn’s “power forward,” who is currently playing at a level above and beyond her performance 3 seasons ago when she was the consensus NPOY.
It's not my assessment...it's the records of both ND and U.S.A. I saw Maddy once in person this year (NJIT game) and didn't have my tape measure handy.;) However, I'm 6'2" and from 20 ft. away, she's at least my height or a tinge taller.

Per my other post, I don't think you'll see Maddy much on Paige Saturday. Maddy can't match her foot speed. Could be a zone (2-3 or match-up). If Irish go man, expect them to move Maddy to the middle (Aaliyah Edwards) and Paige will see KK Bransford or -- if audiences are lucky -- Sonia Citron.

Reaction Score
We have a suffocating defense. We have alot of players who look to score and are not dependent on Paige and Aaliyah where most teams direct their attention. Have you noticed are balanced scoring in the past few games.

Yet Geno mentioned at the half that he would like to see Paige be more aggressive taking shots rather than giving the ball to players in poor position. I think we have, depending on the draw, E8 to S16 capabilities. Any further would be phenomenal!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Rankings are a result of a snapshot in time. A ranking is determined at a given time based on the data points available at that time. Things on the ground are fluid and are changing all the time. I do believe that at the beginning of the season after major losses to UConn's expected starting lineup began occurring UConn deserved its 81 ranking. However, since Geno has gone to his 4 guard lineup I am quite sure that number is trending downward. Currently, SC is ranked in scoring defense #5 and UConn is ranked number 64.

Reaction Score
Drama Club No GIF by Nickelodeon

Reaction Score
We can beat good teams by applying our suffocating defense. If we dont have a suffocating defense we will have problems. Our defense causes duress when played with intensity and energy as a team. I feel we can beat any team when we create duress including SC. So when we play ND we have to put pressure on Hidalgo and make her play under duress. The harder we make it for her the more chance that she will make mistakes. Heres a blerb from the Virgina ND game.

The Irish led by 20 late in the third quarter and 66-49 inside of eight minutes to go in the fourth, but the pressing Hoos (8-9, 0-6) scrapped to as close as 76-70 at 2:52 remaining.

We can beat ND with good pressure defense.
I don't think we can beat ND if they play as they did yesterday. Our only hope, as has been pointed out, is that our three seniors play an effective 40 minutes each. Can't be done ( fatigue factor ) and , at the same time, Ash and KK have to be at their best. They weren't close to that yesterday. Ice seems a light year away from being an effective post player, but what choice do we have? She is the one Geno brought to the dance, and we have to keep her active. But yesterday, she reverted to the DeBerry-like three point shot, and lost all one v one battles under the hoop. Q is lost on offense at the moment. Good hustle elsewhere, however. But our freshman aren't good enough to win when four of them are on the floor at the same moment. We don't have four Hidalgos. Shooting was off, decision making was poor. Someone said the team was not ready. But let's not grade the coaches on this one.

Reaction Score
How good is UConn?
after watching significant stretches of creative and effective BB, last night....they're very good.
I'm not in the least worried about Notre Dame.

I have a terrible record of prognosticating when they're going to dominate...somewhat better when I sense they're vulnerable.

But if they play like the best of last night; they can make most teams look like amateurs...as they have been doing.

And the Notre Dame game could look just like any of our recent dismantling of the Big East...

I really liked that Nika realized. after not shooting much in the last game, that she might be the key to
unlocking our offensive potential...which was a bit stagnant...which opened up Ash (who had also been very circumspect about shooting early on).

How smart of Nika to realize it mid-game...they left her wide open...just what she feasts on.

I wouldn't relish being Niele, a fine defensive player in her day...on a plan to disrupt our offense.

Should be an interesting game...and a most satisfactory one if my analysis is correct.
ASH does tend to " back off" a bit when her first shot doesn't go in. Such as was the case yesterday. And several her shots ( which did go in ) were wiped away due to some unidentifiable offensive foul called, elsewhere, on UCCNN

Reaction Score
I don't think we can beat ND if they play as they did yesterday. Our only hope, as has been pointed out, is that our three seniors play an effective 40 minutes each. Can't be done ( fatigue factor ) and , at the same time, Ash and KK have to be at their best. They weren't close to that yesterday. Ice seems a light year away from being an effective post player, but what choice do we have? She is the one Geno brought to the dance, and we have to keep her active. But yesterday, she reverted to the DeBerry-like three point shot, and lost all one v one battles under the hoop. Q is lost on offense at the moment. Good hustle elsewhere, however. But our freshman aren't good enough to win when four of them are on the floor at the same moment. We don't have four Hidalgos. Shooting was off, decision making was poor. Someone said the team was not ready. But let's not grade the coaches on this one.
Listen to Geno starting around the 6:30 mark.

Reaction Score
So... Dawn Staley is magnanimous and noble when she schedules pre-conference cream puffs, Kim Mulkey is manipulative and cowardly when she does the same thing?

(I have no issue with Coach Staley, who may be the best coach in the game right now. I just find the juxtaposition of the two takes regarding scheduling low ranked opponents in the preseason interesting.)
Were you really doing some kind of riff on S.C. doesn't schedule aggressively?

Hard to believe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Were you really doing some kind of riff on S.C. doesn't schedule aggressively?

Hard to believe.
Reread my post and try again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom