how good is cincy? | The Boneyard

how good is cincy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm really not sure.

are they a little better than young st? or are they for real?

Reaction Score
Brian Kelly got them on the national stage. They are for real.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing last night. Couldn't figure out if they are that good, or just that Pitt is terrible.

Reaction Score
It's hard to know for sure, but they have a lot of talented kids on O who fit well into their scheme. The D plays fast which indicates confidence and comfort in their scheme as well. We will see as the season goes on but to my eyes, from last nights game, they are definately for real.

Reaction Score
don't forget this was Cinci's first game of the year and Pitt had a short week. i think Cinci is good(25-35), Pitt is lousy(75-85), and the timing exacerbated the difference in talent

Reaction Score
As much as I like to disagree with Pitt homer Mark May ( who totally disrespects our program, IMO ) he did bring up a valid point about Pitt... 4th coach in 21 months... How can u truly jell as a unit without having the stability over time from the top? especially when it changes so much in that short period of time? If that were us, we'd be cellar dwellars for quite some time... But, luckily, that's Pitt... they have a longer history than us, so they'll bounce back soon ( hopefully not any time this season )...

Reaction Score
I hope Pitt's bounce in the ACC is same bounce currently in place at BC. Also, both teams gave up over 400 yards on. Pitt will not do that to us. Cincy could.

Reaction Score
Cinci looked good IMO. They are definitely athletic, and have playmakers that will make you pay if you make a mistake. Their D' always seems to be pretty solid, and they looked that way last night. I thought their WR's dropped a lot of cathcable balls and Munchie was a little inconsistant throwing it. They strike me as a team that is good enough to beat anyone on their schedule (including VT and UL), but inconsistent enough to get beat by several teams on their schedule.

The Big East is going to be a pretty tough league to go undefeated in once again. Teams will need to show up every week. I expect Pitt to improve as the year goes on. Still have them finishing 7th in the league, but they will be a better team by the time they get to the Rent. I think Cuse will struggle and thin out as the year goes on, but with solid QB play, they have the potential to jump up and bite a good team (see WVU last year). Temple will be decent (not great, but not Memphis bad - they are the best team in the state of PA after all), then you can lump USF, Cinci, RU, UConn into a group of pretty even teams. UL appears to be the head of the class, but any one of USF, UC, RU, and/or UConn could jump up and beat them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The four coaches while technically true is a bit of an exxageration as one did not coach one day of practice.

That said, on the first Cincy TD, I've never seen a scheme where a) there were not enough lineman in the box to plug all holes and b) once the RB got through the line there were no defenders left (from 60 yards out no less). Additionally, there were about 85 missed Pitt tackles from the little I saw of that game. OK St would have put 130+ on the scoreboard against Pitt last night.

Reaction Score
I think last night's game was much more of an indictment on Pitt. I think 4 wins may be their ceiling. All preseason I was scratching my head on why some of the so called experts were bullish on this team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Who are the four they can beat?

Reaction Score
Because they were ACC bound, and they had a new HC coming out of the vaunted B1G. The NBE didn't stand a chance.

Reaction Score
Who are the four they can beat?
I have Gardner Webb and Cuse down as a should win, and Buffalo as a could win. After that it's slim pickins'. I do think they will upset one BE team though - just hope it ain't us.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how good Cincy is, but Pitt could not be any more ducked up. Anyother great example of a fanbase and AD getting rid of a pretty good coach (not great certainly) in Wanny and then messing the program up big time. Between Duke, Wake, Maryland, Cuse, BC and Pitt, the ACC has some football programs that are really on the ropes.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Mengus had what I thought was a pretty good indictment of the Pitt football program (in the OBE/NBE) over at bigeastcoastbias

In 1981, Pittsburgh already had a recent national title, a Heisman Trophy winner just five years ago, and Dan Marino. In the 30 years since Jackie Sherrill left, the Panthers amassed a mediocre 186-169-1 record.
If you compare the success cincinnatti has had over an 8 year period, versus the average at best record that Pitt has had over a longer period, I think it's not close. Whether cinci this year will be as good as they have been in the past is a different question, but given the parity of the BE (mentioned by ESPN last night as both a positive and negative) they're definitely a possible contender this year. Unless Pitt turns it around with the new coach in a hurry, they're not.

Reaction Score
I have Gardner Webb and Cuse down as a should win, and Buffalo as a could win. After that it's slim pickins'. I do think they will upset one BE team though - just hope it ain't us.

The most likely wins are Gardner Webb, Cuse, Buffalo, and Temple. Very possible they lose 1 or 2 of these games and also very possible they win one or two that they shouldn't. I think they win 3 games personally.

Reaction Score
Because Pitt is so bad it is hard to judge how good Cincy is. The score was deceptive. It might have been 50-10 if Munchie had a higher completion rate. The announcers showed where his throwing mechanics need adjustment because many balls to receivers ended up in the dirt. I assume this is a fairly easy fix.

In the end they are a very good team, a good candidate to win the BE and Abernathy is really fun to watch. Fast as a hummingbird.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't know.. Pitt is obviously awful... but Cinci giving up over 400 yards doesn't make me think they're world beaters. I do think Pitt got hosed a little bit at the end of the first half with the phantom holding penalty which essentially changed a TD to a Int. That's got to be hugely deflating... that being said it probably wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Reaction Score
Cincy players were ready to bounce off the walls for this game, having to sit an dwatch every single game of opening weekend and not play until the following thursday - those players were peeling the paint of the walls. An offsides on the opening kick? I think they were a bit excited to get out and hit somebody.

More often than not, football, like most competition, becomes less and less about physical differences, and more about simple energy and will as you get into high level competition - league play. I think that Pitt came out and Cincy destroyed them because they were simply more energetic. Somebody got Pitt fired up in the locker room in the half, and they came out iwth better energy, but they're just too screwed up with systems right now, that they play slow and without simple fundamentals, and couldn't do the fundamentals of blocking and tacking on either side of the ball.

I think that by the time Pitt comes to Rentschler, they'll be playing a little faster, but by then, you've got to wonder what their record will be adn what kind of energy they've got left to play the game that hard for.

As for Cincy? They just need to do what we need to do, and that's to remain focused on the day, the hour, the minute at hand, and take care of things focused that way, and if we both do, come Dec. 1st, we've got the potential to be having the biggest game ever at Rentschler.

My hope is that when we get there, it's a title game, and we're both ranked.

On an aside note, that game is scheduled to be a choice for ESPN/ABC broadcasts. Dec. 1st is also the day that the ACC plays it's football championship game. Wouldn't it just be a kicker, if you've got a Big East title game featuring two top 25 teams, taking the primetime ESPN/ABC slot from the ACC featuring .....whoever?

As a fan, I can think of things like that.

But what really matters, is taking care of things properly, focused. and what matters now is NC State.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
i'm really not sure.

are they a little better than young st? or are they for real?

I was wondering - who is better Pitt or UMASS?

Reaction Score
I have no idea how good Cincy is, but Pitt could not be any more ducked up. Anyother great example of a fanbase and AD getting rid of a pretty good coach (not great certainly) in Wanny and then messing the program up big time. Between Duke, Wake, Maryland, Cuse, BC and Pitt, the ACC has some football programs that are really on the ropes.

as i was watching the game last night all i could think was whether it's official yet that firing Wanny was a mistake. he certainly wasn't a world beater, but they've been an absolute side show since trying to replace him. Wanny wasn't a great coach, but i think he was of the mold they should be looking at. a blue collar type with an NFL background to help recruiting. they haven't had any kind of luck at all with the trendy throw it around college OC types.

Reaction Score
Tell you what....Pitt would have never had a first play from scrimmage on defense like they had last night - not a single player lined up correctly to address a run between the tackles on the first play of the game from scrimmage. And the reason is Wanny would have killed someone. Actually, he put good, athletic defenses on the field. This Pitt team is totally and utterly lost.

Reaction Score
Nothing that happened last night told me anything particularly good about Cincy. I don't think we'll know anything about them until they go to Blacksburg at the end of the month.

As to another post, unfortunately, as bad as Pitt sucks if they win at Syracuse and beat Temple at home, neither of which are givens at the moment but neither are they reaches, they will be 4-5, and playing for their lives, when they come to the Rent.

Reaction Score
Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, etc have successfully developed a heck of a program in Cincinnatti. In fact, with W. Virginia gone, it wouldn't surprise me if either Louisville and/or Cincinnatti became the dominant, perennial "powerhouse" teams the talking heads are looking for in the BE. Both have explosive, entertaining offenses.

That is, if they don't get poached later on.

Cincinnatti came out the door in their first game like they were fired by a RPG!
Very explosive. I loved play calls of firing "bombs" from the endzone. I don't think we'd see that type of imagination from either RE or PP. Granted you need the players who can execute that type of offense.

Were they that good! Can't really say. Probably combination of better skilled players ready to rumble against depressed and tired athletes. With proper rest, I don't think Pitt will be as bad as they looked. Moved good between the 20's, but couldn't punch it in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom