How does all of this affect immediate future? | The Boneyard

How does all of this affect immediate future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

If I'm not mistaken there are a lot of moving parts to all this.

1) Uconn has been pumping donor $$ into a new BBall facility. Yet the appeal of playing in the big east is now subpar to the other conferences... Recruiting will drop... Is moving forward with this a lost cause?

2) A still fairly new fb stadium and recruiting facility both a result of mucho $$$ being pumped into the program. Edsall helped to sell the dream before sprinting out of town as fast as he could. It has to be assumed Uconn will fall even further behind in recruits.

3) the bball program has a coach that the AD can't commit too... Recruiting is suffering on top of the dagger news of ville to acc... Given the current landscape coaching at Uconn is no longer as valued as it is in a conference that means something... So if Ollie doesn't work we won't be getting that big name coach

4) A sub par losing record near retirement fb coach

5) a dwindling fan base with empty seats everywhere

6) an unproven AD who Has accomplished what to date?

7) a president who has hired IMO a sub par AD from a crappy athletic school

8) new down town storrs is being build which is the only positive I see in all this. I had originally thought it would help with recruiting but either way the campus needed it.

The 5 top conferences will be generating revenue at a rate that Uconn can't keep up with. As fan attendance and support start dropping does Uconn shift it's focus and revenue away from athletics into other areas such as research?

Reaction Score
How does this affect the immediate future? "Do you want a starboard or portside life boat seat", said the Titanic's hospitality director.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken there are a lot of moving parts to all this.

1) Uconn has been pumping donor $$ into a new BBall facility. Yet the appeal of playing in the big east is now subpar to the other conferences... Recruiting will drop... Is moving forward with this a lost cause?

2) A still fairly new fb stadium and recruiting facility both a result of mucho $$$ being pumped into the program. Edsall helped to sell the dream before sprinting out of town as fast as he could. It has to be assumed Uconn will fall even further behind in recruits.

3) the bball program has a coach that the AD can't commit too... Recruiting is suffering on top of the dagger news of ville to acc... Given the current landscape coaching at Uconn is no longer as valued as it is in a conference that means something... So if Ollie doesn't work we won't be getting that big name coach

4) A sub par losing record near retirement fb coach

5) a dwindling fan base with empty seats everywhere

6) an unproven AD who Has accomplished what to date?

7) a president who has hired IMO a sub par AD from a crappy athletic school

8) new down town storrs is being build which is the only positive I see in all this. I had originally thought it would help with recruiting but either way the campus needed it.

The 5 top conferences will be generating revenue at a rate that Uconn can't keep up with. As fan attendance and support start dropping does Uconn shift it's focus and revenue away from athletics into other areas such as research?

There is a time to stop whining. A rant would be fine. But this girlie sobbing into a hankie is unbecoming.

Reaction Score
Hopefully in the immediate future a few UConn fans that have nothing better to do than cry "oh woe is me" will stop their constant bitching.

Reaction Score
While it hurts the ego to know that you are not wanted, I don't think this is the end of the world( however, only a fool would not consider this a dissapointment and a blow). Bottom line, we need to step it up in football before a premier conference will let us in. We need to increase our national reputation for football and the only way we get that is to go all in and win. The big east has essentially become a developmental conference for major college football. Uconn cannot and will not be able to rely on the big east for its reputation. The automatic bcs slot is gone, and almost all of the prestigous football schools have departed.

Bottom line the OOC schedule needs to be seriously beefed up. This is the only way to turn heads, create excitement, and judge the performance of the team against top programs. No more buffalo, umass, fordham, Western Michigan, ect. playing these programs only helps to develop their programs, their is absolutely no upside for uconn in playing those games, if we win, its means nothing, but if we lose or its a close game we look inferior and lose prestige. I would much rather be playing miami, Tennesse, ohio state, oregon, usc, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, ect. No more cupcakes, no more FCS teams. Even if we get our teeth kicked in, it will be better for the fanbase than playing the MAC, Conference USA, FCS, MW, Sun belt, recruits will know that they will get a chance at exposure (well be on national tv more). And god forbid, what would happen if uconn actually beat these teams or plays very well, Uconn would actually earn national respect as a football school. Right now, this is not the case. Need to step it up. Stop being scared to go all in.

Reaction Score
While it hurts the ego to know that you are not wanted, I don't think this is the end of the world( however, only a fool would not consider this a dissapointment and a blow). Bottom line, we need to step it up in football before a premier conference will let us in. We need to increase our national reputation for football and the only way we get that is to go all in and win. The big east has essentially become a developmental conference for major college football. Uconn cannot and will not be able to rely on the big east for its reputation. The automatic bcs slot is gone, and almost all of the prestigous football schools have departed.

Bottom line the OOC schedule needs to be seriously beefed up. This is the only way to turn heads, create excitement, and judge the performance of the team against top programs. No more buffalo, umass, fordham, Western Michigan, ect. playing these programs only helps to develop their programs, their is absolutely no upside for uconn in playing those games, if we win, its means nothing, but if we lose or its a close game we look inferior and lose prestige. I would much rather be playing miami, Tennesse, ohio state, oregon, usc, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, ect. No more cupcakes, no more FCS teams. Even if we get our teeth kicked in, it will be better for the fanbase than playing the MAC, Conference USA, FCS, MW, Sun belt, recruits will know that they will get a chance at exposure (well be on national tv more). And god forbid, what would happen if uconn actually beat these teams or plays very well, Uconn would actually earn national respect as a football school. Right now, this is not the case. Need to step it up. Stop being scared to go all in.

Gonna be extremely difficult with the blow to recruiting that this mess will cause. The better players will go to better conferences. UConn's recruiting was suppose to get better after the new facility was built, after they beat Notre Dame, after they beat South Carolina, after they had a schedule that included Michigan and Tennessee coming to the Rent, after they went to the Fiesta Bowl. UConn kept their end of the deal, but this whole mess is gonna put them back to the pre Rentschler days of playing Ball State.

Reaction Score
There is a time to stop whining. A rant would be fine. But this girlie sobbing into a hankie is unbecoming.

Based on our present situation, it all looks pretty accurate to me!!

Reaction Score
Hopefully in the immediate future a few UConn fans that have nothing better to do than cry "oh woe is me" will stop their constant bitching.

Huh? Do realize what has happened? This is bigger then Football. The entire Uconn Sport franchise is being systematically undermined. This impacts EVERY SPORT. It impacts licensing revenues, merchanizing, gameday sales, local businesses, and on and on. I even harms academics by reducing general applicant interest which has raised UConn's competitive acemdic standing. This is an unmitigated economic disaster for Connecticut. You have rank amatuers at the helm that have FUBAR'd this. It is literally criminal incompetence. Malloy should stand at the top of the list for allowing this to happen. This was very avoidable. Herbst and Manuel have to go. They alone will have cost this state tens of millions if not ultimately hundreds of million. TOTAL INCOMPETENT AS in STORRS.

IF IT SOUND LIKE IM RAGING, ITS BECAUSE I AM.

Reaction Score
Huh? Do realize what has happened? This is bigger then Football. The entire Uconn Sport franchise is being systematically undermined. This impacts EVERY SPORT. It impacts licensing revenues, merchanizing, gameday sales, local businesses, and on and on. I even harms academics by reducing general applicant interest which has raised UConn's competitive acemdic standing. This is an unmitigated economic disaster for Connecticut. You have rank amatuers at the helm that have FUBAR'd this. It is literally criminal incompetence. Malloy should stand at the top of the list for allowing this to happen. This was very avoidable. Herbst and Manuel have to go. They alone will have cost this state tens of millions if not ultimately hundreds of million. TOTAL INCOMPETENT AS in STORRS.

How many of the BOT have been here longer than SH and WM?? Do they bear no responsibily for the past sins of the previous administration?

Check out this Yahoo piece from this afternoon.... http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--louisville-s-move-to-acc-a-sporting-miracle-192050157.html

F

fortebleedsblue

How many of the BOT have been here longer than SH and WM?? Do they bear no responsibily for the past sins of the previous administration?

Check out this Yahoo piece from this afternoon.... http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--louisville-s-move-to-acc-a-sporting-miracle-192050157.html

So what I get from that article was that ville was more corrupt and a larger dump than Uconn ever has been but they had a few good seasons and are now a better option for the acc than Uconn... Academics aside this makes no sense.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

Ragging or Raging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Wasn't really a yes or no question but I'll say the former.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score

You act as if we were just sentenced for life. I agree it sucks, but it's not permanent. If we just keep doing what we're doing we'll be fine. Personally I'm not worried because I'm confident it'll be announced we're on our way out of the BE before Tulane and ECU make their way onto the schedule.

One thing I don't get is how Tulane and ECU were added, did we vote on this? It seems like such a mismatched pair. A top notch academic school with lousy athletics, and a school with decent to good football but is the #4-5 public school in North Carolina. It's like a poor man's version of Vanderbilt and the poor man's version of Louisville.

Reaction Score
You act as if we were just sentenced for life. I agree it sucks, but it's not permanent. If we just keep doing what we're doing we'll be fine. Personally I'm not worried because I'm confident it'll be announced we're on our way out of the BE before Tulane and ECU make their way onto the schedule.

One thing I don't get is how Tulane and ECU were added, did we vote on this? It seems like such a mismatched pair. A top notch academic school with lousy athletics, and a school with decent to good football but is the #4-5 public school in North Carolina. It's like a poor man's version of Vanderbilt and the poor man's version of Louisville.
If u keep doing what you'r doin u wont be fine, it's that kind of thinking that's going to turn Uconn into Umass !

Reaction Score

It is a death sentence for my favorite football program.

Reaction Score
Huh? Do realize what has happened? This is bigger then Football. The entire Uconn Sport franchise is being systematically undermined. This impacts EVERY SPORT. It impacts licensing revenues, merchanizing, gameday sales, local businesses, and on and on. I even harms academics by reducing general applicant interest which has raised UConn's competitive acemdic standing. This is an unmitigated economic disaster for Connecticut. You have rank amatuers at the helm that have FUBAR'd this. It is literally criminal incompetence. Malloy should stand at the top of the list for
allowing this to happen. This was very avoidable. Herbst and Manuel have to go. They alone will have cost this state tens of millions if not ultimately hundreds of million. TOTAL INCOMPETENT AS in STORRS.

So true. Our legislature and state and Federal reps & senators need to not rest til they've pitch a huge fit down in DC. This is war with every state in the ACC: Mass, PA,NY,VA,NC,GA,
SC, Fl and now KY. Throw a wrench in any bills and initiatives they are interested in. Ally with any states in competition with them.

Oversimplification by an angry fan, but the intent is there and our folks need to figure out hownto stick it to them and our good corporate neighbor ESPN.

Reaction Score

Good God some people just don't get it..

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter if UConn voted on Tulane or ECU. Tulane was clearly added by the basketball schools - they have a huge majority of votes and fit their profile. ECU if you a need a football only was the best available school that would accept.

In all the craziness those two things make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom