How did you become a UConn fan? | The Boneyard

How did you become a UConn fan?

Reaction Score
I’m sure this has been done before, but what better time to reminisce than now.

For me it was after the ‘99 title. We had a student teacher who was a manager for the team, seeing the pictures and hearing his stories were mesmerizing. It felt like I could touch it, like I was a part of it too.

Caron Butler lured me further, only for the ‘03 and ‘04 squads to lock me in for life. I was hooked. I would sneak college basketball magazines, and newspapers into class and read them religiously. I started writing my own college basketball previews, and spending free time drawing terrible tracings of said magazine covers.

After the latter Ollie years, I remember wondering if we had already been blessed with the best years of UConn basketball many of us would see in our lifetimes.

I never imagined that the best was yet to come

Cheers.

Reaction Score
It’s funny, I think I have a pretty unique introduction to becoming a UConn fan.

Born in ‘96, so was too young to really know much about the ‘99 team.

I had 2 Huskies growing up (my favorite dogs) and both sides of my parents family are from/lived in Connecticut (We lived on Long Island).

I remember being a die hard fan from about 6 years old on. I loved the jerseys, the undershirts Ben Gordon wore, always played with them in NCAA Basketball on my playstation. Just like the rest of you goons, i’ve become an insane fan. Not a bad team I got hooked on though…

Reaction Score
My father used to take me to games. Some of my earliest childhood memories are eating cracker jacks at the field house even though I had no idea about the game.

Been a fan ever since. Haven't seen a game in Storrs since the 70's, but have met up with my father to see them play in MSG, the Palestra in Philly and the Wells Fargo Center in Philly. Always good to see them beat Villanova.

Reaction Score
In 1960 my cousin Vic went to UConn, his brother Joe went the next year, my older brother went soon after. My brother took me to a game in the old field house in 62, I was ten. I eventually went, my younger sister went. My wife's parents also went to UConn. You get the idea.

Reaction Score
From Greenwich, CT. Huge sports family. Mom and Dad met at UConn. Older brother went to UConn. I went to Uconn 97-01. Sister went to UConn 99-03. I'm a huge Tampa Bay Rays and Denver Broncos fan but nobody comes to close to my Huskies bball. Men and Women.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Since the NIT Championship. Since the days of Cyrulik. You youngsters have no idea of the struggle and pain we went through to get to 1999. “The Peoples Elbow” was the crucial spark. We almost formed militias and marched down to North Carolina Lol. #6

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Grew up in Connecticut all my life, got accepted to the University of Connecticut in 2013. Made a boneyard account my senior year of highschool 2013. Won the championship my freshman year (which is why no player can ever touch Shabazz for me,) the rest is history!

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My dad was a avid fan dating back to the Fieldhouse days. I was born in 1992, so I grew up watching Ray, Kirk, Rip, and Selvie.

He also made me rewatch every game from 1986 onwards so that I didn’t miss anything. Him and my mom’s favorite beer is Rolling Rock, it’s always in the fridge.

So you can see how this developed into a massive addiction.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I listened to UConn games on the radio when I was a teenager growing up in West Hartford in the 1950s. I went to college in Vermont and moved to New York after college, but I bonded with the team as a teenager and have been a fan ever since.

Reaction Score
my dad went there. i was born in 1991 so have some memories of dad going crazy during the 1999 championship run.

i followed along when i was younger, but to be honest, i fell out of love with sports for a long time when i got into skateboarding and playing music in middle school and high school.

my twin brother and i graduated in 2014, so we were there for two titles. i started following the '14 team pretty closely and got completely hooked during the '14 - '15 season, living in new haven. it's been a crazy ride through the dark ages of the late ollie years, although, as a young twentysomething at the time, i certainly appreciated how cheap the tickets were back then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom