How did Samuel look? | The Boneyard

How did Samuel look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He didn't get a lot of run but when he did I liked what I saw. He has legit size, moves his feet quickly on D and looks to be a natural point. Had a smooth pull up J off the dribble but there wasn't anyone within 5 feet of him. I think we have a lot more than we thought in this "lost" class with Facey, T Sam and 'Mida

Reaction Score
He didnt do much really but i left the game thinking i can't wait to see more from him....He seemed to have great ball handling skills to go along with good distribution skills. And hes got a big body (looked like a right handed Donnell Beverly out there with way better ball handling and passing skills).....

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
DB really wasn't that bad of a passer. His A:T was always decent and he had a couple of 7 assist performances off the bench. The only really painful Beverly ball handling moments were the dropped pass on Senior Day and the time he tried a behind-the-back pass that ended up directly in the hands of (I think) Siva.

Reaction Score
DB really wasn't that bad of a passer. His A:T was always decent and he had a couple of 7 assist performances off the bench. The only really painful Beverly ball handling moments were the dropped pass on Senior Day and the time he tried a behind-the-back pass that ended up directly in the hands of (I think) Siva.

I think DB was a below average ball handler and an average passer. As well as a below average shooter although he did progress throughout his years.

His plus skills in my book would be; very hardworker, do-anything-for-the-team kind of guy, good defender and a pretty heady player.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think DB was a below average ball handler and an average passer. As well as a below average shooter although he did progress throughout his years.

His plus skills in my book would be; very hardworker, do-anything-for-the-team kind of guy, good defender and a pretty heady player.

The 2nd half of your statement is why I'd love to see DB on our staff in some capacity one day. I think he and Austrie would both make excellent coaches somewhere.

Reaction Score
The 2nd half of your statement is why I'd love to see DB on our staff in some capacity one day. I think he and Austrie would both make excellent coaches somewhere.

It's amazing how the stars are rarely the good or great coaches in mostly any sport..........it's always the guys who needed to work for their time or hardly ever even played! Must be the fact they get to study it more and understand the fundamentals while learning from watching the best.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's amazing how the stars are rarely the good or great coaches in mostly any sport..........it's always the guys who needed to work for their time or hardly ever even played! Must be the fact they get to study it more and understand the fundamentals while learning from watching the best.

True. It's kind of like how the infield utility guys in baseball tend to make some of the best managers.

Reaction Score
People have such low expectations for Samuel and it makes me laugh. In the scrimmage he looked like he had great handle and hit a really smooth step-back from the free throw line. That may not make highlight films, but is a much more valuable in-game play.

He didn't overpenetrate, generated space with a fall-away, nothing but net. I am bullish on a 6'4 PG with good ballskills and great defense and a terrific motor, don't know about you guys.

Kind of sounds like the same profile as... dare I say... Doron Sheffer? or Kevin Ollie?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
People have such low expectations for Samuel and it makes me laugh. In the scrimmage he looked like he had great handle and hit a really smooth step-back from the free throw line. That may not make highlight films, but is a much more valuable in-game play.

He didn't overpenetrate, generated space with a fall-away, nothing but net. I am bullish on a 6'4 PG with good ballskills and great defense and a terrific motor, don't know about you guys.

Kind of sounds like the same profile as... dare I say... Doron Sheffer? or Kevin Ollie?
The funny thing is he has the sway back of Donnell. But based on the scrimmage and based on @caw comments I agree with you. He definitely is a point guard looking to pass! Before the step back shot there was a play in which he had driven to the basket and set it up to pass. Of course no one was there because this was a fun scrimmage. But his mindset is a pass first PG. He and Purvis can be quite the pair in the future!

Reaction Score
In watching him play for all of 5 minutes you can tell that Samuel is 10X the athlete Donnell was.

Samuel will be an awesome, physical, solid 4 year program building block...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
First Night was a blur of Purvis and Daniels dunks and Shabazz knocking down threes. Hard to stand out against that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom