Houston Press: What Would a 4 Team Super Conference College Football Structure Look Like | The Boneyard

Houston Press: What Would a 4 Team Super Conference College Football Structure Look Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn IN the ACC. Oklahoma St., K-State and Iowa State OUT of this 64-team structure. Highly unlikely, but interesting take nonetheless.

link

big12_graphic.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If this were to all happen, that would seal off the B1G from northeast penetration. The combination of UConn, Syracuse and ND would lock up NYC for the ACC for year-round sports and UConn/BC combo would lock up New England. The ACC would begin playing its conference hoops tournaments at MSG in the not-so-distant future and I would guess we'd see quite a few neutral ACC football games in high profile northeast venues like Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Citi Field, Met Life, Gillette, etc. The ACC is easily the best basketball conference in the country and the football would be better, in most years, than the B1G and PAC.

Oklahoma St being left out somewhat surprises me. Kansas State being left out mildly surprises me. I'm most surprised about BYU being left out. I think BYU could replace Texas Tech rather easily and deliver MUCH more to the PAC. There must be tremendous political pressure in Texas for the Longhorns to take as many of Texas' "little fish" as possible.

Reaction Score
I don't see how Oklahoma State gets left out, they are much, much, much, much more valuable than a Texas Tech for example.

UVA is not going to the SEC either due to academics. UVA will stay in the ACC or go to the B1G.

Reaction Score
If this were to all happen, that would seal off the B1G from northeast penetration. The combination of UConn, Syracuse and ND would lock up NYC for the ACC for year-round sports and UConn/BC combo would lock up New England. The ACC would begin playing its conference hoops tournaments at MSG in the not-so-distant future and I would guess we'd see quite a few neutral ACC football games in high profile northeast venues like Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Citi Field, Met Life, Gillette, etc. The ACC is easily the best basketball conference in the country and the football would be better, in most years, than the B1G and PAC.

Oklahoma St being left out somewhat surprises me. Kansas State being left out mildly surprises me. I'm most surprised about BYU being left out. I think BYU could replace Texas Tech rather easily and deliver MUCH more to the PAC. There must be tremendous political pressure in Texas for the Longhorns to take as many of Texas' "little fish" as possible.

OK State will never be left behind cause of two words and a letter:

T. Boone Pickens.

He will write whatever check necessary to keep OK State with the Big Boys.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
OK State will never be left behind cause of two words and a letter:

T. Boone Pickens.

He will write whatever check necessary to keep OK State with the Big Boys.

Good point. I forgot about him. Every single Cowboy fan should be kissing that dude's feet wherever he goes. Without him, they're playing in the AAC with us right now.

Reaction Score
Well one thing would be for sure - the NCAA implodes. Then Emmert and the rest of the empty suits running the NCAA would have to find real jobs.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Gotta love how they used the old logo. Since we're in the AAC nobody even knows we changed.

Reaction Score
I'm just looking at the NE Corridor and thinking about the HUGE gap in the Northeast if you take our logo off the map...... It kind of
makes you say WTF!!!.... to our current situation

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Zero chance of happening this way. Any scenario that has OSU out, UVA in the SEC and WVU in ACC deserves to be in Non-key Tweets.

Reaction Score
I'm just looking at the NE Corridor and thinking about the HUGE gap in the Northeast if you take our logo off the map. It kind of
makes you say WTF!!!.... to our current situation

The best thing about this, though, is that some reporter deep in the heart of Texas is rating us in the big boy club.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

None of those schools will be left out. A four conference structure can't work unless the number of teams in each one goes up to 20. It simply won't happen.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
C'mon, guys! I know we are grasping at straws, but this is just newspaper filler. Some reporter had some inches to fill so he came up with something crazy. Read the disclaimer in the bottom left. "The geography of four superconferences is easy, but the politics are nearly impossible."

Like a lot of you, I've played with what the conferences SHOULD look like. If I had my way, there would be a dozen conferences of 10 teams each. 9 football games (round robin); 18 basketball (home and home). That ship has sailed. Look what we are left with:
The PACIFIC 12 has 2 teams from the ROCKY MOUNTAINS.
The Big 12 has 10 teams.
The Big 10 has 14.
The SOUTHEAST CONFERENCE has teams from the SOUTHWEST and the MIDWEST.
The ATLANTIC COAST Conference has two teams that are more than 600 miles from the Atlantic Coast.

We are where we are, and it's fun to speculate. I do believe the administration is working very, very hard to try to improve our conference affiliation. But it's going to be other people who are going to make that decision. We still have to concentrate on being the flagship program of the American to have a chance to go anywhere and the fans have got to support us with arses in seats

Reaction Score
We are where we are, and it's fun to speculate. I do believe the administration is working very, very hard to try to improve our conference affiliation. But it's going to be other people who are going to make that decision. We still have to concentrate on being the flagship program of the American to have a chance to go anywhere and the fans have got to support us with arses in seats

Screw the AAC. The conference blows.

UConn might officially have to play nice with everyone but the fans can and should dream of when we get the hell out of this $

Reaction Score
UVA is not going to the SEC either due to academics. UVA will stay in the ACC or go to the B1G.

It will depend on whether the SEC would be able to put together an academic consortium similar to the CIC. They already upped their academic credentials with Missouri and Texas A&M over the Big 12. They won't be able to overtake either the PAC or B1G but they could put a big hurt on the ACC by taking the flagship schools of Virginia and North Carolina. An academic consortium involving schools from the SEC, ACC, Rice, Tulane, Emory would be an interesting development. Then add to that an appeal to the schools' Southern roots and it could be done.

As for Tejas, having a division with several former SWC Texas schools would be ideal to them. The question is whether the Pac 12 can accept the private, religion-affiliated schools. However, it would open up California recruiting pipes for them, which helps alleviate stress on in-state Texas recruiting.

Putting Oklahoma in the B1G East is pretty clever. I hadn't thought of that angle. That would help sell season tickets in Norman by having Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State on their schedule, then a crossover with Nebraska. That's already better than their Big 12 schedule. The downside is Bedlam and Red River may not be both played because of scheduling issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom