Hornets decline Bouknight's fourth-year option | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hornets decline Bouknight's fourth-year option

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
It doesn’t seem like you could have read the SI article. Read that, that opinion with backup is unrelenting and makes our musings favorable by comparison.
I didn’t. I’ll admit that. And I will. But I’ll still support Huskies in need.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It doesn’t seem like you could have read the SI article. Read that, that opinion with backup is unrelenting and makes our musings favorable by comparison.
Reading James Plowright's opinion piece was pretty painful, but not because it offered very little I did not know. If anybody doubts that this type of "SI" post gets published without proofreading or editing, then they either haven't read with care or cannot write well enough to recognize so many errors that it'd be difficult to regard this as a meaningful story from a trustworthy source.

I'm not shocked that Charlotte made their unfavorable decision about the 4th year contract, and current circumstances make Bouknight's road ahead an uphill climb.

Still, I always root for former UConn players to do well, so the news makes for unhappy reading.

But I don't feel any need to add to the criticism, prescribe what he needs to do, or make any predictions. If he's able to marshal resources to improve things, I'll be happy for him, and I imagine others will feel similarly. If he doesn't or can't, I won't feel badly that I missed out on an opportunity to say, "Told ya so."

Reaction Score
Those who follow me closely will know I have long been a Bouknight skeptic. His body language and maturity stuck out to me early as not only immature, but outright disinterested. His lack of attention to detail on the court and decision making often left me shaking my head. However, this isn't the victory lap I ever wanted to run.

I was crucified by many for not liking his on court demeanor when he wasn’t playing well. He moped, made negative facial expressions at teammates if there was a turnover or a play he didn’t agree with. I mean I hope he figures something out, but there were always signs especially beginning year 2.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Bouk changed the program for the better in his time here so I hope they’re at least trying to get him on the right path behind closed doors. It’s frustrating to see his career go like this, but making him feel like he has nobody in his corner will only make things worse.

Reaction Score
Other than the issue before his first season, do we know that Bouk's "character" what is an issue at Connecticut? It he didn't seem like he was a selfish player or poison in the locker room to me.
I don’t know everything but he was well liked by his teammates and students on campus and he did work somewhat hard on his game outside of practice. But he had several incidents that were not made public and continued to drink heavily and get into problems despite usually saying the right things to everyone afterwards. In Charlotte, I believe it got even worse.

Reaction Score
I don’t know everything but he was well liked by his teammates and students on campus and he did work somewhat hard on his game outside of practice. But he had several incidents that were not made public and continued to drink heavily and get into problems despite usually saying the right things to everyone afterwards. In Charlotte, I believe it got even worse.
If alcohol is an issue he will need to deal with that first before he can be successful on the court.

Reaction Score
I don’t know many that have turned their lives around without help from others. Hope he finds and is able to accept those supports.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Bouk needs to go to a team that has good leadership in place that can help him mature as a person and player.

Reaction Score
Bouk needs to go to a team that has good leadership in place that can help him mature as a person and player.
Ship has sailed.

He is gonna have to G League and work his way back, maybe even Europe it. He may get one more shot, but nba teams don’t like to waste money or time.

And, it is contrary to what we think giving someone money they would try and cocoon a guy…nba feels like if they pay you gotta figure your own stuff out. They don’t have support programs, mentors, anyone looking up on you. They expect you to be an adult. They don’t really want to hear it.

It is literally, shoot around at 10. Film work and scouting report is in email. Be ready to play.

Reaction Score
His behavioral record has given a lot of people here a lot to work with as the story unfolds, the back story back fills, speculation runs rampant, and most people mirror their own trauma & imperfections. It's like playing with house money, but it's also a naked display that given an opening and the opportunity, men like to dish and gossip too.
You are mounting your horse a bit high imo. We are flawed if critical or expressing disappointment in someone that played basketball at UConn but you are fine with casting aspersions on posters and mankind in general?
It is at least equal to post negative things about posters (which I'm also doing now!? ;) who you KNOW are reading it vs anonymously expressing one's opinion about a basketball player.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You are mounting your horse a bit high imo. We are flawed if critical or expressing disappointment in someone that played basketball at UConn but you are fine with casting aspersions on posters and mankind in general?
It is at least equal to post negative things about posters (which I'm also doing now!? ;) who you KNOW are reading it vs anonymously expressing one's opinion about a basketball player.
Thank for your thoughtful pushback. Where I disagree, it's for specific reasons:

1) My primary point was that men dish & gossip, when it's more commonly thought that it's a thing that women do. If that's what you meant by something said against "mankind," I'll acknowledge that it's a tweak toward men vis-a-vis men. If it raises hackles or consciousness, that's okay with me. I thought the point was observable and worth considering.

2) I regard nearly all aspersions, innuendo, and criticism directed toward current UConn players, and much-to-most directed toward former players (especially younger/less mature ones, or of any age seemingly in trouble for which they are nonetheless be held responsible) as 'punching down,' whereas my aspersions, innuendo, and criticisms toward Boneyard folk is offered openly in a semi-closed environment (with the odd built-in element of anonymity-via-handle) toward my peer group, and, in the main, only in response to postings by others that have already 'opened the door' to imply endorsement of critical judgment as something that's okay to do.

Who am I to be, in effect, acting to 'protect' women and/or young men?

There's nothing I can reasonably object to in somebody raising such a question. I imagine some people dislike what I do. I can see that it's arguably arrogant for me to speak on others' behalf, or that these matters are none of my business, or that most broadly they might be flawed as any criticism might be. I'n only asking that what I'm up to be accurately described, though I do allow that my motives could be missed by many if I didn't articulate them.

I also admit that I'm flawed and petty enough at times to talk trash against opponents' foibles, outrages, and other things I find objectionable.

I exercise my prerogative to be a homer in support of the players, the coaching staff, and the program as a whole. Some people exercise their prerogative to complain and criticize wherever they see fit.

Criticizing the criticizers just strikes me as a logical extension of their chosen angle. It often puzzles me when they object, especially when its offensiveness arrivees as a surprise to them.

Again, I appreciate your speaking up. If nothing else, you box me into being more of a jerk for those oriented toward seeing me that way. And it does keep me more honestly aware of and in line with my values. It's all part of preparing for another successful season for all who contribute to & benefit from UConn Men's Basketball.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
That should've been his wakeup call. He stole the girls car, was drunk, crashed it, and then tried to drive away on the cop before running on the cop. No DUI, no stolen car charge because the girl hooked him up by changing her story. Sometimes a slap on the wrist isn't the best thing but as far as we know he didn't have other problems with the law until the NBA.
He was a jerk who got away with crap all his life because he was a good athlete is my guess. Only problem is if you do that in the NBA you best be one of the top players in the league. If you are a borderline player who bounces between the Hornets and the Greensboro Swarm and averages 5 ppg you are easily replaced and nobody is wasting time and resources saving you from yourself.

Reaction Score
Thank for your thoughtful pushback. Where I disagree, it's for specific reasons:

1) My primary point was that men dish & gossip, when it's more commonly thought that it's a thing that women do. If that's what you meant by something said against "mankind," I'll acknowledge that it's a tweak toward men vis-a-vis men. If it raises hackles or consciousness, that's okay with me. I thought the point was observable and worth considering.

2) I regard nearly all aspersions, innuendo, and criticism directed toward current UConn players, and much-to-most directed toward former players (especially younger/less mature ones, or of any age seemingly in trouble for which they are nonetheless be held responsible) as 'punching down,' whereas my aspersions, innuendo, and criticisms toward Boneyard folk is offered openly in a semi-closed environment (with the odd built-in element of anonymity-via-handle) toward my peer group, and, in the main, only in response to postings by others that have already 'opened the door' to imply endorsement of critical judgment as something that's okay to do.

Who am I to be, in effect, acting to 'protect' women and/or young men?

There's nothing I can reasonably object to in somebody raising such a question. I imagine some people dislike what I do. I can see that it's arguably arrogant for me to speak on others' behalf, or that these matters are none of my business, or that most broadly they might be flawed as any criticism might be. I'n only asking that what I'm up to be accurately described, though I do allow that my motives could be missed by many if I didn't articulate them.

I also admit that I'm flawed and petty enough at times to talk trash against opponents' foibles, outrages, and other things I find objectionable.

I exercise my prerogative to be a homer in support of the players, the coaching staff, and the program as a whole. Some people exercise their prerogative to complain and criticize wherever they see fit.

Criticizing the criticizers just strikes me as a logical extension of their chosen angle. It often puzzles me when they object, especially when its offensiveness arrivees as a surprise to them.

Again, I appreciate your speaking up. If nothing else, you box me into being more of a jerk for those oriented toward seeing me that way. And it does keep me more honestly aware of and in line with my values. It's all part of preparing for another successful season for all who contribute to & benefit from UConn Men's Basketball.

Go Huskies!
Thanks equally for the thoughtful response, my intention was pretty much as you took it - to acknowledge there are pros & cons with lots of gray areas in much of this discourse.

While I do find your points about gossip, punching down and criticisms generally valid - I think in this particular case the criticism, albeit harsh is supported by cruel facts. Mostly people are trying to figure out why a player so observably good at basketball didn't succeed and looking for insider knowledge here. The public incidents are well known and when these are added to the non-public and applied to performance it becomes negative. Yet in the past some players for example Uncle Cliffy (RIP) were revered and embraced for being able to balance having a good time and still succeeding in an incredibly competitive professional environment. Paradoxically Cliff was drafted in the 2nd round, perhaps out of off-court concerns but MAYBE moreso b/c he came from UConn which at the time didn't have the track record of putting guys in the pros. The player under discussion here rode the path 'blazed' by our esteemed almunus Uncle Cliffy and MAYBE was drafted higher than off-court concerns dictated b/c he went to UConn.

Generally we (UConn fans) were wrong like the scouts were wrong and we are looking for reasons why being a Husky didn't translate to future successes, surpassing expectations like it does more often than not for Alumni as is the general goal of everyone who passes thru Storrs.
Onto the new season.
LET'S GO HUSKIES!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I been trying to get more into jazz lately. There's a term for what the greats did when it wasn't working out - woodshedding. Bouk needs to do the hoop equivalent. It's all on him now.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I been trying to get more into jazz lately. There's a term for what the greats did when it wasn't working out - woodshedding. Bouk needs to do the hoop equivalent. It's all on him now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ship has sailed.

He is gonna have to G League and work his way back, maybe even Europe it. He may get one more shot, but nba teams don’t like to waste money or time.

And, it is contrary to what we think giving someone money they would try and cocoon a guy…nba feels like if they pay you gotta figure your own stuff out. They don’t have support programs, mentors, anyone looking up on you. They expect you to be an adult. They don’t really want to hear it.

It is literally, shoot around at 10. Film work and scouting report is in email. Be ready to play.
Hindsight being 20/20 and all, it's much easier to see the red flags, but for all of his physical skill, I remember thinking that Bouknight needed another season to sort out the head game.

That said, and maybe the glimmer of the National Championship is blinding reality, but perhaps he was encouraged to enter the draft by Hurley to relieve the program of a degree of toxicity.

Reaction Score
Hindsight being 20/20 and all, it's much easier to see the red flags, but for all of his physical skill, I remember thinking that Bouknight needed another season to sort out the head game.

That said, and maybe the glimmer of the National Championship is blinding reality, but perhaps he was encouraged to enter the draft by Hurley to relieve the program of a degree of toxicity.
  • There is no chance Hurley actively wanted him to leave for the sake of the program
  • I'm sure Hurley encouraged him to leave because he was going to be a lottery pick
  • Another year in college would not have helped him mature, he either has it or he doesn't, and, well...

Reaction Score

I do not think Hurley wanted to get rid of him. At the practice for donors last month, I was able to ask Hurley about his expectations for getting the program back to prominence when he first took the job. He didn't specifically say he thought Bouknight should have stayed. He did say that things might have been different if he had Bouknight playing at a junior level. Hurley might have recommended he enter the draft because he was going to be a lottery pick but not because he wanted to exile him.

Husky25

Reaction Score
  • There is no chance Hurley actively wanted him to leave for the sake of the program
  • I'm sure Hurley encouraged him to leave because he was going to be a lottery pick
  • Another year in college would not have helped him mature, he either has it or he doesn't, and, well...

I didn't say "actively," but I also tend to think Hurley didn't stand in his way. I think the prevailing notion at the time was another year would only hurt Bouknight's draft stock. I also recall him projecting as a 1st round talent, but being a fringe lottery pick, falling outside the top 14 in some mocks leading up to personal workouts and the Combine. At the end of the day he was selected at the tail end of the lottery.

At 20 years old, him being better served with a more nurturing college environment for one more year is valid. The business of the NBA doesn't inherently offer that outside of a few teams that have the right player and/or coaching leadership. The G League certainly doesn't, as pretty much every player is out for themselves and are trying to get (or back) to The Show. They are or were all young up and comers and generally have no motivation to help out another other than to prop up their own stat line on the court.

I hope he finds his way, and I hope he hasn't carelessly burned through his rookie contract earnings.

Reaction Score

What would another season have done? He might have blown his chance tbh. His demeanor when he fell in the draft was the first pro red flag. He was pissed about going to Charlotte and acted like someone died.

Hurkey may have been the only one who could talk to him, but sometimes maturity can only be gained from school of hard knocks. The fact he is so awful in the g league is also a red flag. Not talent. Motivation.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What would another season have done? He might have blown his chance tbh. His demeanor when he fell in the draft was the first pro red flag. He was pissed about going to Charlotte and acted like someone died.

Actually, the red flags popped prior to Game 1 of his freshman year when he ran over a stop sign and fled the scene, but that is neither here, nor there. I believe we are on the same page.

Hurkey may have been the only one who could talk to him, but sometimes maturity can only be gained from school of hard knocks. The fact he is so awful in the g league is also a red flag. Not talent. Motivation.
Which is why maybe Hurley didn't feel an overwhelming desire to stand in his way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reading the tea leaves, that 40 point game was the worst thing that ever happened to him.

Reaction Score
I certainly rooted for Bouk. He helped bring UConn back to the tournament and the national stage. But it's not like I know him personally. I don't know if he's a good guy, has a substance abuse issue, mental health issues, if he's immature or just a jerk. He definitely seems to have some issues that I hope he deals with.

When watching him sporadically for the past few years as well as checking box scores, the big thing that stands out is that he sucked. He just did. I wouldn't want him on my favorite team. He shot terribly and didn't bring anything else to the court. Doesn't mean he doesn't have talent or can't ever put it together, but not having his fourth year picked up is a product of sucking as much or more than off court stuff.

One great thing about Bouk making it three years with Charlotte is that it appears he is pension eligible. From what I quickly found, that gives him a monthly payment ($2,400 per month starting at age 50 and more if he starts taking later), lifetime healthcare coverage, college tuition reimbursement ($33k per year) and other stuff. That may be just as important as the money he made over his three years.

Reaction Score
Actually, the red flags popped prior to Game 1 of his freshman year when he ran over a stop sign and fled the scene, but that is neither here, nor there. I believe we are on the same page.

Which is why maybe Hurley didn't feel an overwhelming desire to stand in his way.
I remember joking with someone at the time in the administration about it. I said…Bouknight running away was first time running from the cops actually worked out for the better.

It was a pithy unserious line, but may have been true. He would have faced much worse with a dui than evading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom