Hopefully BIG administators take note of Rutgers v Virginia today @ Barclays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hopefully BIG administators take note of Rutgers v Virginia today @ Barclays

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
The question is if the leadership at UVA, who clearly have their own issues to deal with right now, are less committed to the ACC due to the on-going fiasco at their partner, UNC, and the circus that FSU has turned into.

Don't forget the academic cachet that Louisville has brought.

By the way, I don't think any Virginia politicians are worried about Va Tech. It will have a good home regardless, Virginia is such a valuable turf in the cable network era, and they've proven they belong in football. Virginia politicians might be pleased if UVa left for the B1G and Va Tech for the SEC, bringing an extra $40 mn/yr or more into the state university system.

I don't think UVa has been motivated by money, historically, and I think culturally they like the ACC better than the SEC or B1G. But, when budgets get tight, money talks. It's easier to accept a $45 mn check than to cut jobs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, you can. Just like our 2011 run. However, these don't happen all the time and the cartel is out to destroy UCONN.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
The cartel? The cartel? Oh man, just got real.

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:

The biggest hurdle is our geography and lack of high school football recruits. However, how else would you describe the P5? If we were in the P5 I would feel the same.

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:

The biggest hurdle is our geography and lack of high school football recruits. However, how else would you describe the P5? If we were in the P5 I would feel the same.

Reaction Score
We didn't exactly set Barclays on fire when we played UMD there but hey we're not the school with 600k fans in NYC!

Edit: Just looked at the ESPN.com gallery of the game and there was legit 2000 people there. 1950 wearing orange.
one thing to consider is that Rutgers football was playing Maryland on Saturday and that there approximately 6 or 7,000 RU fans at College Park.

Reaction Score
one thing to consider is that Rutgers football was playing Maryland on Saturday and that there approximately 6 or 7,000 RU fans at College Park.
That doesn't account for the 593,000 other RU fans from NYC.

Reaction Score
paco gee said:

Uconn had a home football game in Hartford on the same day the basketball team played MD at Barclays, and probably sent more fans to Brooklyn than the total attendance to the UVA/RU game the other day.

Reaction Score
Just to give you some supporting numbers, since 1990 UVA is 15-8 against Maryland in football and 23-25 against Maryland in basketball. Note that this includes the entire tenure of the Gary Williams glory years in basketball. If you want to call that owning, go ahead. Prior to 1980 Maryland did own Virginia, but they had a well run athletics department then. I missed it all as it was before my time of paying attention.

As for that Barclays tournament, UVA basketball fans are hard pressed to get excited over Vanderbilt, La Salle, and Rutgers. The team probably was too as they played poorly in Brooklyn, especially on offense. I don't understand the B1G folks obession either. I wish it would go away. UVA isn't interested at this point.

History is never selective when it comes to all-time results, cherry picking is not only absurd bias on your part, but a waste of space. I'm sure Maryland fans would not trade their AP football title nor their basketball title for more wins against Va, regardless of decade.

I understand the obsession, it's certain schools who wish to further their national footprint in football recruiting. VA is a fine school for sure, but I've never been impressed, athletically speaking. And the pretensions that run rampant on its campus are quite laughable. You are not some southern intellectual stronghold, nor are you even remotely as passionate as SEC football fans - you've got too many Yankees on that campus to do-be either. It's also a school that noticeably drops off on the graduate level as well, minus some strong programs. In other words, it doesn't really pull it's weight in that area that matters most - transferable research, public and private sectors.

Reaction Score
When the most recent wave of conference alignment hit, who knows for sure what Virginia's conference preference was. Obviously, you can't base it on what one or so fans say. But after the ACC decided to up their exit fee to an insane amount, and have their members commit to a GOR, Virginia had clearly decided to stay in the ACC, at least for the near term. While I understand Virginia fans wish that other fans would stop obsessing about it, I don't understand their own obsession over this whole thing as well.

On another note, I had the pleasure of meeting a UConn alum/fan at a bar across from MSG before the Rangers game, who was also kind enough to treat us to a shot. We talked about the ups and downs of UConn football, the ups and ups of UConn basketball, Maryland's disaster against Rutgers on Saturday, how UConn got passed over by BC and Louisville somehow. Before we left, I asked him, ACC or Big Ten? His answer was definitively Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Our football facilities are the first the nation to be certified as "green", meaning they will be of historical value in the future. UConn's future is secure. When you have houses from the 1600s around you, you know the area will be fine.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati. Established 1819. Schools of Law, Business, Medicine. Over 41k students. $1.2 billion endowment. 2nd largest school in the great state of Ohio. I hate our situation and I really believe there is no way UCONN and Cinci get shut out. No way.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati. Established 1819. Schools of Law, Business, Medicine. Over 41k students. $1.2 billion endowment. 2nd largest school in the great state of Ohio. I hate our situation and I really believe there is no way UCONN and Cinci get shut out. No way.

I like your thinking. No bashing of Cincy. We can only take care of UConn. We didn't get 4 NC by belittling the competition. We beat them on the court

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like your thinking. No bashing of Cincy. We can only take care of UConn. We didn't get 4 NC by belittling the competition. We beat them on the court

I feel a little silly here - I've been belittling the competition nonstop for, like, twenty years now. Why, I was just belittling the Boston College oaf earlier this evening - I thought that was our thing.

We really all need to be on the same page with this stuff.

Someone put out a memo.

Reaction Score
Our football facilities are the first the nation to be certified as "green", meaning they will be of historical value in the future. UConn's future is secure. When you have houses from the 1600s around you, you know the area will be fine.
I gotta give it you. You find the most obscure things to point out as positives. I have to say, I never had a second thought on whether or not our facilites were green.. Said Sue Herbst to Jim Delany "Now Jim get this, these football facilities are totally green my man!!!"

Reaction Score
I feel a little silly here - I've been belittling the competition nonstop for, like, twenty years now. Why, I was just belittling the Boston College oaf earlier this evening - I thought that was our thing.

Someone put out a memo.

BCU, Cuse, and Rutgers are not the competition, they are the help.

Reaction Score

Someone put out a memo.

I have no problem with on the court put downs. I'm the first to laugh at coach lemon and his Dec record. My point is there is a reason (combined with geography and Blumenthal) that we are screwed We need to build bridges, not burn them (except when there are fishys under the bridge)

Reaction Score
History is never selective when it comes to all-time results, cherry picking is not only absurd bias on your part, but a waste of space. I'm sure Maryland fans would not trade their AP football title nor their basketball title for more wins against Va, regardless of decade.

I understand the obsession, it's certain schools who wish to further their national footprint in football recruiting. VA is a fine school for sure, but I've never been impressed, athletically speaking. And the pretensions that run rampant on its campus are quite laughable. You are not some southern intellectual stronghold, nor are you even remotely as passionate as SEC football fans - you've got too many Yankees on that campus to do-be either. It's also a school that noticeably drops off on the graduate level as well, minus some strong programs. In other words, it doesn't really pull it's weight in that area that matters most - transferable research, public and private sectors.

I'm just saying 25 years is long enough to look back. UVA is also 1-9 vs University of Pennsylvania in football, but I wouldn't say they owned us in football now. We last played in the 1950s. The Maryland football title is in the 1950s. If you're celebrating that time frame in college sports history, good for you. The Big Ten is right there with you.

Reaction Score
When Michigan and Villanova played earlier this week, I was shocked at the turnout by Michigan fans. Nova brought some noise as well, but Michigan fans were absolutely in the house. I actually realized the indirect justification for adding Rutgers at this point, which plenty of critics argued during the last expansion, there are in fact plenty of Mi alum in NYC, other BIG schools as well.

I've been saying this day 1.
Adding RU provided a connection between the BiG schools and their NYC alums, of which there are many. And ensured decent attendance.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I've been saying this day 1.
Adding RU provided a connection between the BiG schools and their NYC alums, of which there are many. And ensured decent attendance.

No question. RU provides B1G NYC area alumni a chance to see their schools compete again. MD does the same for DC area alumni.

UCONN is in a similar position. We offer NYC and Boston area B1G alumni a chance to see their schools compete. Plus, we add the extra benefit of actually being really good at basketball. B1G alums can fight for tickets inside MSG with UCONN fans and actually see a meaningful, good game as opposed to the 40 point blowout win they'd see in a half empty Garden playing against Rutgers. Same goes for TD Bank Garden in Boston. And with hockey reaping immediate benefits in the elite Hockey East, UCONN could be in the unique position of scheduling B1G powerhouses like Minnesota or Wisconsin for area alumni.

Reaction Score
Agree that UVA wants to stay in the ACC and the politicians want the UVA to stay in the ACC after spending so much capital to force the ACC to take V tech years ago during the first Big E raid instead of Syracuse (reportedly). If UVA was to leave, then they have to dive in again to find a safe spot for V Tech, which I doubt would be too hard as I suspect that the SEC would jump at a chance to get a proven football program in the DC market.

The question is if the leadership at UVA, who clearly have their own issues to deal with right now, are less committed to the ACC due to the on-going fiasco at their partner, UNC, and the circus that FSU has turned into.

UVa owes nothing to the Commonwealth of Virginia or Virginia Tech in regard to ACC or B1G membership. They can come or go as they please. They prefer to stay in the ACC with their UNC brothers IMO. The UVa - UNC relationship is the one that matters. As for UVa being tied to Virginia Tech… they are academically on some fronts, but they do not consider one another peers. Casteen and Warner did their best to help Tech find a good landing spot in the P5. UVa doesn't have to stay in the ACC and they are not tied at the hip with Tech unless the ACC disintegrates entirely. If the ACC falls apart, I could see Tech and UVa needing each other equally. Bottom line… right now UVa wants to stay put with the ACC and UNC.

Reaction Score
I stopped trying to figure it out. It is like trying to figure out why government pays $20 for a screw. I now just watch the games, get frustrated with hoops recruiting and hope the athletic department doesn't fall apart over the next three years.

I can tell you why they pay $20 for a screw. What I can't tell you is why we've been screwed for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom