Holly or Coach P, who gets to a Final Four first? | The Boneyard

Holly or Coach P, who gets to a Final Four first?

Who makes the Final Four first?

• Holly

Votes: 72 85.7%
  • P

Votes: 12 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Both of these programs have been staples in the Sweet 16 the last 7-8 years, but neither has been able to get over the hump to the Final Four for various reasons. Which coach do you think makes the Final Four first? My money is on Holly--she finally has a legit superstar in Diamond DeShields, a former #1 recruit in Russell, and the McDonald's All American game MVP in Cooper on board for the next 3 years.

Duke should be strong too with an outstanding freshman class this year and loaded class coming in the fall, but Duke has been loaded with talent the entire time McCallie has been at the helm so they'll need more than just talent to make the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Oh in chess they call this a stalemate..... I have confidence in neither..... but given a choice, I will take Holly...... based on Diamond's ability to improvise. And I made promise to myself I was going to be nice to Holly!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
interesting-thread.gif

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I voted for Holly, not because of Diamond, but because she made strides in getting the LVs commited to defense this year. They can't win a NC in this era based on defense only, but they could win an Elite 8 game that way.

On the other hand, Salvadores may get Duke over the hump, but I don't see JPM getting past a certain point. She keeps learning lessons, but can't apply what she has learned.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
tdf - are folks in Durham happy with Coach P? I dunno

Check out this thread in thedevilsden - LINK

Also, CamrnCrz1974 did a masterful job of outlining GG vs JPM records and tourney success, transfers, JPM presser quotes, her every loss to UConn, the usual catchwords and phrases (think "lessons", "experience", etc), loss of asst coaches, and it goes on. IMHO it is a very comprehensive read on why fans are fed up.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd have been more interested to throw Karen Aston into this pool. She got her team as far as the regional semis and may have better luck next season with health/continuity of personnel. She returns most of her kids and has two top 10 national recruits coming to Austin. She hasn't established a track record yet as far as winning the league or matching up with a team like uconn, but it'll be interesting to see.

Reaction Score
I voted for Holly, not because of Diamond, but because she made strides in getting the LVs commited to defense this year. They can't win a NC in this era based on defense only, but they could win an Elite 8 game that way.

On the other hand, Salvadores may get Duke over the hump, but I don't see JPM getting past a certain point. She keeps learning lessons, but can't apply what she has learned.
People keep pointing to Diamond, But Shhhhhh, Salvadores with her international expierience may be just as good. She ate up team USA. The other guards coming in like Lambert are also very good. They solve their greatest need (ball handling and being able to handle pressure) Move Greenwell to here natural position on the wing and with Stevens skill set you have 2 sophomores who also make an impact. Talent isn't the issue with either team coaching is, and maybe seeding could be the biggest factor of all. Next year I think as many as 12 teams have real final 4 ability's.

Reaction Score
People keep pointing to Diamond, But Shhhhhh, Salvadores with her international expierience may be just as good. She ate up team USA. The other guards coming in like Lambert are also very good. They solve their greatest need (ball handling and being able to handle pressure) Move Greenwell to here natural position on the wing and with Stevens skill set you have 2 sophomores who also make an impact. Talent isn't the issue with either team coaching is, and maybe seeding could be the biggest factor of all. Next year I think as many as 12 teams have real final 4 ability's.

Great post. From what I saw of Diamond, Holly will have problems controlling and directing her. When I saw Salvadores recently she was outstanding. IN total agreement that teams have talent, but the coaching is suspect. Right on about the 12 teams and seeding. Luck comes into play here. Final thought---we have all seen in every sport and at every level a select few coaches dominate. Being old school, over the last decade --again at every level (like parenting) it is clear that more teams are being run by the players and not the coach. Tennessee is one of them. Coach P is missing a hard edge or toughness. I have even seen a softening in Rutgers coach (I know she is older now) and IMHO Dawn Staley is tough at times, but coddles more than I would like. Her platooning is an example. Wacht out for Baylor --talent with Mulkey's fire. It's funny, Maryland's coach is super positive and motivating (pre-game and halftime), but her game coaching falls short. Coaches that allow the one-on-one dribble around offense will have a hard time winning it all. Quality 5 player teamwork set up by the coach and executed by a top point guard will continue to win. -- Sorry for being long winded and rambling.

Reaction Score
Is this a trick question because McCallie took MSU to the championship game against Baylor in 2005. It wasn't that long ago. Sophia Young still plays in the WNBA.

Does anybody notice Duke sustains a lot of injuries, especially to key players like Chelsea Gray.

Reaction Score
Good post.....Too bad they do not study from the master (Geno)?........Attend the Olympic teams training camp...........

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Holly in the three years as Head Coach. Three SEC titles win or shared. Two E8 and one Sweet 16. How many head coaches have that after three years? We have seen Diamond as Freshman at UNC. We know what a great athlete she is. To me the key to this season is Russell. She provides some needed size. Also fully healthy we can see her improvement.

Reaction Score
I know you can't post anything here that sounds even a little bit supportive of UT but I feel for Holly having waited all these years for Pat to step aside (even if she only did so after her health concerns required it) and now she is being expected to win like Pat did. And I don't see redeaming qualities in Coach P's approah, but Salvadores is going to make a tremendous difference at Duke. I think they get there while Salvadores is there. On the other hand, Diamond is a wild card and while I think that she will score and have great games along the way, I don't think she gets them to the Emerald City. They both have great talent but Salvadores is special and by '17 I think Duke is in the Final Four.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Holly in the three years as Head Coach. Three SEC titles win or shared. Two E8 and one Sweet 16. How many head coaches have that after three years? We have seen Diamond as Freshman at UNC. We know what a great athlete she is. To me the key to this season is Russell. She provides some needed size. Also fully healthy we can see her improvement.

Walz was on the board quickly.

Reaction Score

In this sport, the season basically begins at the Sweet 16 for a program like Tennessee so I'm not sure why that's such a big accomplishment. They lost to Louisville and Maryland the last 3 years and probably should have won all 3. Not like they were knocked out by a juggernaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom