Hokies were 'strongest candidate' for SEC expansion in 2012 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hokies were 'strongest candidate' for SEC expansion in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would a WVU/UConn combo work for the SEC? Both state flagships schools and would give that conference access to key Eastern markets, not to mention the basketball for the SECN.

WVU would. West Virginia is somewhat southeast even if Morgantown is Pittsburgh-centric. If Connecticut were in the southeast, UConn would too. A WVU / ECU combo is something the SEC should really look at IMO.

Reaction Score
Calamitous...FSU IS a Flagship school...one of the three so designated in Florida in Florida by the Florida Legislature.

The term "Flagship" is pretty undefined (in legal terms)...leading folks to make up their own lists based on perception. Dr. Bergdahl probably offers the best interpretation.

As far as legal definition goes....The Florida Legislature officially has designated Florida, FSU, and USF as the state "flagship universities". And this has some actual meaning......in terms of increased state funding versus other state public universities.

But those of us in the know will tell you that the official Florida Flagship is in Key West.

"
TALLAHASSEE — The Florida Legislature has OK'd the schooner Western Union as the state's official flagship.

The House on Wednesday voted for the bill (SB 326) by 115-0. The Senate already approved the measure.

The Western Union is a 130-foot-long ship based in Key West, where it is being turned into a floating museum.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calamitous...FSU IS a Flagship school...one of the three so designated in Florida in Florida by the Florida Legislature.

The term "Flagship" is pretty undefined (in legal terms)...leading folks to make up their own lists based on perception. Dr. Bergdahl probably offers the best interpretation.

As far as legal definition goes....The Florida Legislature officially has designated Florida, FSU, and USF as the state "flagship universities". And this has some actual meaning.in terms of increased state funding versus other state public universities.

Understood. I believe the original move in 2010 was that UF was trying to establish themselves as the sole flagship as the state didn't have an official flagship school. Then FSU and others jumped in and wanted to be part of the party. Am I close on this assumption? Anyway, didn't mean to disrespect FSU's flagship status.

Reaction Score
Understood. I believe the original move in 2010 was that UF was trying to establish themselves as the sole flagship as the state didn't have an official flagship school. Then FSU and others jumped in and wanted to be part of the party. Am I close on this assumption? Anyway, didn't mean to disrespect FSU's flagship status.

Yep...Florida politics have been an arm wrestling match between FSU and Florida...

Florida has tried for some years to have their university named as the state's "flagship" university....But ran into powerful politicians connected with FSU.

Senator John Thrasher (FSU booster) was Chair of the Republican Party of Florida and is Vice Chair of the Subcommittee for Higher Education Expenditures and Chair of the Rules Committee...He was one that stopped the Florida lobby along with the Speaker of the House, Alan Bense.

Bense is current FSU Board Chairman and Thrasher is a front runner for the FSU President position which has been vacant since Barron accepted Penn State's presidency.

Weatherford, the current Speaker of the House is the son in law of Alan Bense and his brother played quarterback at FSU....

Reaction Score
Yep...Florida politics have been an arm wrestling match between FSU and Florida...

Florida has tried for some years to have their university named as the state's "flagship" university....But ran into powerful politicians connected with FSU.

Senator John Thrasher (FSU booster) was Chair of the Republican Party of Florida and is Vice Chair of the Subcommittee for Higher Education Expenditures and Chair of the Rules Committee...He was one that stopped the Florida lobby along with the Speaker of the House, Alan Bense.

Bense is current FSU Board Chairman and Thrasher is a front runner for the FSU President position which has been vacant since Barron accepted Penn State's presidency.

Weatherford, the current Speaker of the House is the son in law of Alan Bense and his brother played quarterback at FSU....

I think Texas (aTm, UT, Houston, North Texas) is like Florida, but with even more schools identifying themselves as flagship universities. There may be some other states like this too. I don't see Purdue or Clemson listed as flagships, but I've heard they're considered flagships in their states as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom