Here's what's wrong with baseball.......... | The Boneyard

Here's what's wrong with baseball..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, the Yankees at least.....

Mark Texiera came up with a runner on 1st on 2 separate occasions, once with 1 out and the other with no one out, and he had Cabrera playing SS!!!!! You can't get a hit and they are allowing you to drop a hard bunt down the 3rd, for FN FREE, and have 1st and 2nd and you try to swing away?
BS, take the base, you guys BLOW and need people on any way possible.........Girardi should be ashamed not making him do it and he should be ashamed not doing it to help the team and make them align themselves different.....keep fn doing it!!!!!!

Pitiful baseball team can't go away fast enough............pitching has deserved so much better......especially Kuroda who was sensational!!

Reaction Score
Well, the Yankees at least.....

Mark Texiera came up with a runner on 1st on 2 separate occasions, once with 1 out and the other with no one out, and he had Cabrera playing SS!!!!! You can't get a hit and they are allowing you to drop a hard bunt down the 3rd, for FN FREE, and have 1st and 2nd and you try to swing away?
BS, take the base, you guys BLOW and need people on any way possible.........Girardi should be ashamed not making him do it and he should be ashamed not doing it to help the team and make them align themselves different.....keep fn doing it!!!!!!

Pitiful baseball team can't go away fast enough............pitching has deserved so much better......especially Kuroda who was sensational!!
I'm sure Giardi's response would be something like: "Don't make players bunt who aren't used to it". It isn't just the Yankees, it is most teams especially in the AL. It is a friggin gift and the bunt doesn't even have to be that good to work at least half the time. It would have made Texiera at least a .500 hitter instead of a .250 hitter.
My theory is fundamentals are poor because good players are rushed to the majors too early. Overall , base running also stinks. The players today are bigger, stronger and faster but they aren't better and the game isn't better.
The first drastic shift I can recall was against Ted Williams and he was too stubborn to ever lay down a bunt but he could hit .350 against the shift. There are no hitters in baseball today as good as Williams so maybe he gets a pass.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Girardi was in full "smartest guy in the room" mode yesterday. Fung Wahing the guy who hit Verlander best this year? He figured he would be hailed as a supergenius if it worked.

Reaction Score
[The first drastic shift I can recall was against Ted Williams and he was too stubborn to ever lay down a bunt but he could hit .350 against the shift. There are no hitters in baseball today as good as Williams so maybe he gets a pass.[/quote]
Just so you know, I attended a game at Fenway Park, when Ted Williams was playing. I think it was against the Tigers. On his second at bat, he dropped a bunt down the third base line against the shift and laughed as he jogged safely to first. But the pundits will ask, who won? The Tigers who kept him in the ball park or the Sox who got a base-runner.

Reaction Score
What do I know? I agree with you, mau....but someone who rattles off WAR and VORP and FP+++ will tell us that it doesn't make statistical sense to go free to first base.

Reaction Score
[The first drastic shift I can recall was against Ted Williams and he was too stubborn to ever lay down a bunt but he could hit .350 against the shift. There are no hitters in baseball today as good as Williams so maybe he gets a pass.
Just so you know, I attended a game at Fenway Park, when Ted Williams was playing. I think it was against the Tigers. On his second at bat, he dropped a bunt down the third base line against the shift and laughed as he jogged safely to first. But the pundits will ask, who won? The Tigers who kept him in the ball park or the Sox who got a base-runner.[/quote]
You were lucky, you probably saw the only bunt of his career. Saw Ted hit a HR at Yankee Stadium to win the second game of a double header in his last year. It was my first live baseball game with my little league team. Ted didn't play the first game...still my greatest baseball thrill.
One of my favorite Williams story was from former umpire Ron Luciano's book. Williams was helping out in spring training and Luciano asked him what he thought he could hit in todays game. Ted answered
"about .285.
" Only .285, Luciano asked." Williams replied, "yes, well I'm 56 now." Williams was a piece of work but was the greatest hitter of all time. He had an absolutely beautiful, effortless swing.

Reaction Score
What do I know? I agree with you, mau....but someone who rattles off WAR and VORP and FP+++ will tell us that it doesn't make statistical sense to go free to first base.

People can shove WAR, VORP and all the BS up their respective a**es.....it's baseball plain and simple. Get on base and run around the bases.........can't fn score unless you can reach first safely from what I can see!!!

Lay it down or learn to hit the ball to the left side...........it's pretty easy actually, loved to hit and run with a guy on first as a righty and get the hands in and find the hole.......unfortunately they love to PULL the ball now as stated above - bigger, stronger and shi**ier baseball players!!!

Reaction Score
By the way 60's and danzz I'm impressed you guys got to see Ted play......wow

I saw The Mick and that was a thrill too but Ted ages you guys for me......lol

Reaction Score
By the way 60's and danzz I'm impressed you guys got to see Ted play......wow

I saw The Mick and that was a thrill too but Ted ages you guys for me......lol
This is going to kill you, Mau, but I saw Joe DiMaggio play too. On that day at the Stadium, he had a double. I don't know who won but I am sure that we were rooting for the other team. My Dad hated the Yankees and I inherited that from him.

Reaction Score
Just so you know, I attended a game at Fenway Park, when Ted Williams was playing. I think it was against the Tigers. On his second at bat, he dropped a bunt down the third base line against the shift and laughed as he jogged safely to first. But the pundits will ask, who won? The Tigers who kept him in the ball park or the Sox who got a base-runner.
You were lucky, you probably saw the only bunt of his career. Saw Ted hit a HR at Yankee Stadium to win the second game of a double header in his last year. It was my first live baseball game with my little league team. Ted didn't play the first game...still my greatest baseball thrill.
One of my favorite Williams story was from former umpire Ron Luciano's book. Williams was helping out in spring training and Luciano asked him what he thought he could hit in todays game. Ted answered
"about .285.
" Only .285, Luciano asked." Williams replied, "yes, well I'm 56 now." Williams was a piece of work but was the greatest hitter of all time. He had an absolutely beautiful, effortless swing.[/quote]
I can do better than that Danzz. I worked for Winchester in New Haven in the early 70's. One of our bigger customers was Sears. After he retired from baseball, Ted became a representative for Sears. He would travel around to various distributors and give them supplier awards. Once he came to Winchester and we had a management dinner which he attended. He spoke at the dinner and in response to a question, indicated that he thought that no one would be able to hit .400 again unless he was a great hitter with excellent speed. I raised my hand and reminded him that he had hit .388 at age of 38. He laughed and said that was a strange season for him. In July he was in the midst of a battle with Mickey Mantle for the batting title which Ted ended up winning. He said in August and September everything he hit fell in for a base hit. Ironically, with just 5 more hits, he would have hit .400 again. He also had 38 home runs that year. The Mick ended up at .365 with 34 HR's. We can only speculate on what Ted would have done if he had not missed almost 5 full years in WWII and the Korean War or what the Mick would have done with two good legs.

Reaction Score
60's, amazing. You have to figure Williams was in his prime those 5 years and would have hit 30+ home runs. I had the complete collection of Ted Williams baseball cards which my mother threw out when I was in college. Saw Mantle play a lot more. His strength was amazing and maybe the only hitter I've seen with as much power was Bo Jackson. Mantle hit mammoth home runs from both sides of the plate with a deader ball and bigger ball parks. He struck out a lot and was a average CF with an outstanding arm (really a RF by his own admission). Mantle played with a lot of knee pain for most of his career.
Most of the best athletes played baseball in those days because it was the sport where players made the most money. If a young player missed the cutoff man or made a base running mistake he would be on the next bus back to the minors. Now the contracts are so big that they rush players to the majors before develop all of their skills.Just think of how much Williams, Mays, Mantle or Aaron would be making today. Griffey is the only recent player I can think of who could play with those guys.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So far this post season ARod is batting .1000 in phone number procurement.

Reaction Score
I had the complete collection of Ted Williams baseball cards which my mother threw out when I was in college.

This must be a happy memory you look back on;)

Reaction Score
Hmmm Another team looks like it needs to be rebuilt. CC choked Yanks 2 hits thru 8...

Reaction Score
Hmmm Another team looks like it needs to be rebuilt. CC choked Yanks 2 hits thru 8...

UConner and The Viking....2 of the biggest dipsh*t Sawks fans ever........when's the last time we heard from your sorry a** Uconner.......now you show up? Piece of !!!

No they sucked.....imagine they won 30 more games than your favorite teams a**?? Best thing to do is shut up!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I love to feel your pain. It was a good year with A-Rod humilated. It will be fun winter

Reaction Score
I love to feel your pain. It was a good year with A-Rod humilated. It will be fun winter

The Sox were the biggest embarrassment the last two years (On and off the field) in probably all of baseball. Yet they talk like champions.

Reaction Score

Amazing, lost all of your offense in AGon and lost 90 some odd games and it's going to be a fun winter.......demented f'er!!!

I don't have any pain by the way, not sure of you joined us much this year since you're a front-running pc of crap but my expectations were very, very low all year for this team. They had very low BA's except for Cano and Jeter and lived off the HR which to seemed to be doom come playoffs against solid pitching. Lord knows I would never expected them to gag as much as they did offensively but knew they would struggle........no biggie at all it's college hoops season and Giants football now.............and even as painful as it was got to watch some October baseball something your a** hasn't seen in a real long time........yet you're going to have a great winter....what a dope!!!

Reaction Score
Amazing, lost all of your offense in AGon and lost 90 some odd games and it's going to be a fun winter.......demented f'er!!!

I don't have any pain by the way, not sure of you joined us much this year since you're a front-running pc of crap but my expectations were very, very low all year for this team. They had very low BA's except for Cano and Jeter and lived off the HR which to seemed to be doom come playoffs against solid pitching. Lord knows I would never expected them to gag as much as they did offensively but knew they would struggle........no biggie at all it's college hoops season and Giants football now.............and even as painful as it was got to watch some October baseball something your a** hasn't seen in a real long time........yet you're going to have a great winter....what a dope!!!
The Yankees have one big advantage over the Red Sox. Cashman is excellent at assembling a team. I don't know the details but I would guess that he had nothing to do with Arod's contract which has to be one of the dumbest deals in all of baseball history. The Sox on the other hand have Ben Cherrington whose claim to fame was unloading a ton of talent. Almost everything else he has done has been bad.

Reaction Score
What's wrong is they are still marketing the sport as the national pastime. Top tier college football was already huge before MLB ever became popular enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom