Here we go ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Here we go ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guys who leave to go pro early don't count against the graduation rate, but guys who transfer do I believe.

Reaction Score
Guys who leave to go pro early don't count against the graduation rate, but guys who transfer do I believe.

Did any of those guys graduate from the schools they transferred to?

Reaction Score
The school is doing everything it can to fight the ban. Everyone knows this, doesn't mean the NCAA is going to be reasonable. They never seem to be reasonable.

They seem to want to make UConn the poster child for the new emphasis on graduation rates. Everyone knows this is grandstanding to make the NCAA look like they are doing something about student athletes being real students. Fair or unfair it seems unlikely the NCAA will reverse its position.

A one year ban will not ruin the program; Syracuse was banned for 1993, made the tournament the next 3 years in a row, making it to the Final Four in 1996.

Reaction Score
Everybody counts, when you leave you have to be in good academic standing, that's all it is. If a guy leaves and doesn't finish the semester, gets all or I's, it hurts the APR. It doesn't matter why they leave.

Reaction Score
Did any of those guys graduate from the schools they transferred to?

Good question.

Through quick google searches, it appears that Eaves and Marcus Johnson did by looking at their respective school websites.

Reaction Score
Everybody counts, when you leave you have to be in good academic standing, that's all it is. If a guy leaves and doesn't finish the semester, gets all or I's, it hurts the APR. It doesn't matter why they leave.

I know about the APR. I'm saying that I think transfers count towards graduation rates.

UConn only had 9 guys who have stayed for 4 years out of high school. Considering that Beverly and Austrie graduated, along with Okafor and probably Walker, it would be hard for UConn to have a 14% graduation rate for black basketball played if they didn't count transfers.

Reaction Score
I know about the APR. I'm saying that I think transfers count towards graduation rates.

UConn only had 9 guys who have stayed for 4 years out of high school. Considering that Beverly and Austrie graduated, along with Okafor and probably Walker, it would be hard for UConn to have a 14% graduation rate for black basketball played if they didn't count transfers.

The reason why transfers are counted as non-graduates in grad rate has little to do with academics. Grad rates are an assessment of the relative financial health of the schools themselves. This is why transfers are counted as non-grads. Because the financial health of a school is tied in many ways to its alumni. That's why grad rate is relevant, but only as an internal measure. Academically, the relevance of a grad rate is near zero precisely because the grad rate itself is almost always tied to the characteristics of the demographic (i.e. student income, financial aid, working hours, etc.). Granted, there are many dysfunctional schools out there that are not monitoring students efficiently, but for the most part, the rate should not diverge far from national means. Student parental income will be a much bigger factor in determining grad rates than anything else.

Reaction Score
This whole nonsense is essentially a punishment for being a transfer heavy-school. It's not surprising at all that Arizona has a worse graduation rate than us and IU and Michigan are the ones mentioned after us. All three of those schools have had a ton of transfers the last few years but that's in part to coaching changes and rebuilding projects.

The NCAA can spin this situation in whichever way they choose and right now they're spinning it in the worst and least-logical way possible. They're ignoring anything circumstantial or looking further into the situation. If a kid withdraws from school in early October to transfer they get all in UConn's side yet their own personal grades do not reflect those when they enroll in their next school. Could the NCAA be an dumber?

Reaction Score
Very little difference Beverly/Trice but if you are going to recruit borderline Div 1 players like them you can expect transfers and transfers kill the APR. Not a wise choice if your APR is already in trouble.Chalk it up to poor evaluation or poor strategy.Either way the coaching staff has to take the responsibility.

Reaction Score
^^ That's why retroactively enforcing the APR is idiotic. If these rules were in place it very may well have affected the recruiting decisions back then. We could have just kept a scholarship instead of throwing one out to a mid-major prospect that had sliver of hope of being a diamond in the rough but would likely transfer.

Reaction Score
Very little difference Beverly/Trice but if you are going to recruit borderline Div 1 players like them you can expect transfers and transfers kill the APR. Not a wise choice if your APR is already in trouble.Chalk it up to poor evaluation or poor strategy.Either way the coaching staff has to take the responsibility.

Don't forget that Calhoun had to talk Beverly out of transferring. Beverly was huge in the title run, good 3 pt. shooter and played big minutes in the title game when Kemba, Lamb, Oriakhi and Roscoe were all out with 2 fouls with 6 minutes left in the half. You had Beverly, Giffey, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Olander and Okwandu out there for a good portion of the half, and unbelievably people were railing about how poor the NC was being played.

Reaction Score
Awesome. Really super. Can't wait to not watch it.

I'm with you. I really can't be bothered watching this drivel. As I mentioned in another thread, if this story had been aired in the middle of the summer no one would pay attention. Doing it on Final Four weekend; and using the defending National Champion as the "poster program" so to speak, this is clearly a ratings/advertising dollars driven opportunity for CNN at UConn's expense. Like most of the news today, there are only nominal attempts to provide objective, balanced coverage regardless of the issue involved. It is all about entertainment and getting the attention of our information overloaded society to make money. An interview with Jon Mandeldove is all you need to know about their intent. Why not Emeka or Kemba who finished their degrees in three years?! Why not the years and years and years of former players whose lives away from basketball(regardless of whether or not they had NBA level talent) were enhanced by being part of this program?! How about an in depth examination of anything and everything that is wrong with the NCAA which would make any transgressions in Storrs look like a Sunday school picnic?!

I am really sick and tired beyond my ability to express it in words, with the exploitative, exaggerated, advertising dollars influenced nature of the news media in every aspect of our lives. And, in a world where the real scales measuring the quality of everything accomplished in both academics and athletics are tipped so heavily in favor of the University of Connecticut, we need to find a way to fight back. I am not at all suggesting that accountability for academic performance by athletes should be ignored or undervalued. But I will not tolerate the suggestion,implication or direct accusation that UConn is getting it wrong. Quite honestly, if the NCAA punishes this team whose roster does not include a single player who was here during the time the data was collected, they are simply highlighting their need to find any target they can use to make it look like they are doing their job...like they are doing the right thing... like they are protecting the game. It really is beyond pathetic!

GO HUSKIES!!! THE NCAA BLOWS!!!

Reaction Score
^^ That's why retroactively enforcing the APR is Fecunditying idiotic. If these rules were in place it very may well have affected the recruiting decisions back then. We could have just kept a scholarship instead of throwing one out to a mid-major prospect that had sliver of hope of being a diamond in the rough but would likely transfer.
Excellent point.

Reaction Score
Joe Zone the clown on ch.3 just said it's a no for Uconn next year and also the ban on the Big East Tourney holds up. I know he is an ******* and the next thing he says that is right will be his first has been anti- Huskies since his tenure started. Don't know if this is accurate but he did say this.

I've heard from "very reliable" sources that Joe Zone needs help tying his shoes in the morning. I'm not sure what that says about network execs that put maroons like him in front of a camera and pay him a salary for anything other than washing their cars.

GO HUSKIES!!!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The GSR was 25%. The FGR was 8%.

The FGR is the 6-year non-adjusted rate.

The GSR which the NCAA uses (is defined below)

The NCAA report is attached

Graduation Success Rate

The NCAA developed the Graduation Success Rate to more accurately assess the academic success of student-athletes.

The rate holds institutions accountable for transfer students, unlike the federal graduation rate. The GSR also accounts for midyear enrollees and is calculated for every sport.

Under the calculation, institutions are not penalized for outgoing transfer students who leave in good academic standing. The outgoing transfers are included in the receiving institution’s GSR cohort.

By counting incoming transfer students and midyear enrollees, the GSR increases the total number of student-athletes tracked for graduation by 37 percent

Attachments

• 164.pdf
    3.6 KB · Views: 47
Reaction Score
^^ That's why retroactively enforcing the APR is Fecunditying idiotic. If these rules were in place it very may well have affected the recruiting decisions back then. We could have just kept a scholarship instead of throwing one out to a mid-major prospect that had sliver of hope of being a diamond in the rough but would likely transfer.
A fair conclusion but as you may suspect the NCAA is unlikely to give your argument any merit.

Reaction Score
The one thing I do get furious about is that you can't use the 2011 team as a symbol of what's wrong with the system or college sports in general - last year's upperclassmen (Kemba, Donnell Beverly and Charles Okwandu) graduated. Everyone else is/was doing fine academically, based on current APR scores, with the possible exception of Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and the points he cost us when he transferred. So don't you dare taint the accomplishment of those kids based on what people before them did.

The 2009 Final Four team? OK - that falls smack dab in the middle of our problem years. But let's look closely. Kemba, Beverly and Okwandu graduated - so did Dyson and Austrie. Robinson (7), Price (6) and Thabeet (6) were not in school for the full eight semesters (Price maybe had 7, if he came back to school the spring after his brain surgery, but if he did it was a very light courseload). But depending on what Thabeet did academically after he declared, all three might be heavy points against us. Gavin was reportedly close, but fell short. Not sure about Adrien - I suppose if our numbers are that bad, then odds are he didn't, but he made it to the NBA as a marginal prospect, so any time he took off school at the end to focus on workouts, etc. paid off for him (my apologies if he did graduate). There was also Miles, Majok and Haralson from that team, who weren't around long enough to pick a major. And the ill-fated Mandeldove Project fits in there somewhere.

Graduation rates have always been terrible for us because of retention - the end of our bench has been a revolving door and the one part of our program that I really have never liked. We never get the happy towel wavers who graduate - we get guys who can't cut crack the rotation and farm them out to mid-majors before taking flyers on some new guys on the end of the bench (out with Haralson, in with Trice, etc.).

And not for nothing - if Jonathan Mandeldove is the figurehead for the academic problems at UConn, you can't exactly use a "win-at-all-costs" cliche. Even if he was a train wreck of a student, he still had more textbooks than points in his UConn career.

Reaction Score
That btch at the end of the documentary was dumb. She had no clue what UConn was in trouble for or what their appeal was about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom