Here we go ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here we go ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NCAA has decided it's UConn's turn to be punished. Almost every good program has had a bad time with the NCAA at some point. Some notable programs that were banned in past years:

Kentucky 1990 & 1991
Ohio State 2005
Syracuse 1993
Kansas 1961,1962, 1973, 1989
Louisville 1957 & 1958

It's a bump in the road, learn from it, move forward.

List of schools that have been put on probation for men's basketball at some point:
http://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/ncaa-probation-and-division-i-college-basketball/

Reaction Score
The 25% graduation rate does not include players who left for the NBA. The NCAA has rules and whether or not you agree with them, the rules apply to everyone. Uconn's performance was horrible. One of the other schools noted by CNN with a less than stellar record was Indiana at 47%....almost double Uconn's grad rate. We have (or had) a big problem at Uconn and blaming the NCAA or anyone else doesn't change that.

Remarkably, Arizona's is even worse than ours.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the other day. Students who enjoy the arts can major in music or theatre. The chances of these students becoming major actors/actresses/singers/musicians is probably the same if not less than those who try to be a professional athlete after spending at least one year in college. They have majors designed specifically for them. They'll get credit through their performances and taking classes relevant to help them perform better. Why can't the same be done for athletes? I know there are sports management majors and such, but a specific major with a curriculum designed for athletes would make sense. If they called the major athletics, what difference would that degree have in the "real world" from a theatre major? They still would need to take requirements that every student must take, but classes in their major would be designed especially for them, such as a wealth management class. Games/Practices would be able to count as credit. For the players who do go to college with a specific major in mind that they would like to take, then extra props to them. I believe a guy like AD would be much better prepared taking money management classes, negotiation and communication classes, and other classes of that nature.

There's a reason why so many professional athletes end up broke and with other problems similar to that. If they were educated in classes that were more applicable to them, it would benefit them far more, than a criminal justice degree.

Any thoughts?

I think you answered the question yourself. There are majors dealing with sports already. Just like theater majors who aren't given credit for appearing onstage, athletes don't get credit for playing sports. Instead, the degree deals with all aspects of theater. The study of it.

Besides, the number of courses required toward your major are smaller than the number of total courses, which means they would still have to take classes in various fields regardless. Just like the theater majors.

Reaction Score
NCAA has decided it's UConn's turn to be punished. Almost every good program has had a bad time with the NCAA at some point. Some notable programs that were banned in past years:

Kentucky 1990 & 1991
Ohio State 2005
Syracuse 1993
Kansas 1961,1962, 1973, 1989
Louisville 1957 & 1958

It's a bump in the road, learn from it, move forward.

List of schools that have been put on probation for men's basketball at some point:
http://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/ncaa-probation-and-division-i-college-basketball/

Ridiculous post. This is not punishment for cheating.

Reaction Score
The 25% graduation rate does not include players who left for the NBA. The NCAA has rules and whether or not you agree with them, the rules apply to everyone. Uconn's performance was horrible. One of the other schools noted by CNN with a less than stellar record was Indiana at 47%....almost double Uconn's grad rate. We have (or had) a big problem at Uconn and blaming the NCAA or anyone else doesn't change that.

What do those rules have to do with education? NOTHING.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous post. This is not punishment for cheating.
You are aware UConn is on probation for cheating right now. But go ahead and tell yourself that has no bearing on UConn's efforts to get the ban waived.

Reaction Score
You are aware UConn is on probation for cheating right now. But go ahead and tell yourself that has no bearing on UConn's efforts to get the ban waived.

Your post is so full of wrong one can't even begin to address it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Your post is so full of wrong one can't even begin to address it.
Oh relax - he simply made the point that lots of high profile programs have been banned from the tourny for one year and bounced back. He was being supportive. Fact is we are on probation and we are facing a tourny ban unless something changes. Doesn't matter if the two are unrelated, they are both relevant. Both are a negative influence on the program from anyone looking in who isn't better versed in the details like a few hundred of us here.

Reaction Score
What do those rules have to do with education? NOTHING.
It sounds like you are saying that you don't want to see any rules. Maybe we could designate scholarship athletes as "resident athletes" instead of students and they wouldn't even be required to go to class. Instead of a degree they could get a athletic participation certificate. Graduation means you fullfilled the academic requirements to earn a degree. I think that has a lot to do with academics.
Nobody is out to screw us, we did it to ourselves.

Reaction Score
Looks like some of us have reached #5 while some of us are still at earlier stages.

The stages, popularly known by the acronym DABDA, include:[2]

Denial — "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."
Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of possessions and individuals that will be left behind after death. Denial can be conscious or unconscious refusal to accept facts, information, or the reality of the situation. Denial is a defense mechanism and some people can become locked in this stage.

Anger — "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; '"Who is to blame?"
Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy.

Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."
The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just do something to buy more time..."

Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon so what's the point... What's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"
During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.

Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
In this last stage, individuals begin to come to terms with their mortality, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Few top athletes these days go to school planning on being there four years. The NCAA needs a reality check or to make an agreement with the pro leagues that kids have to be three years memoved from high school to play in the pros. Fortunately, since this was on CNN, I doubt many saw it...

Reaction Score
It sounds like you are saying that you don't want to see any rules. Maybe we could designate scholarship athletes as "resident athletes" instead of students and they wouldn't even be required to go to class. Instead of a degree they could get a athletic participation certificate. Graduation means you fullfilled the academic requirements to earn a degree. I think that has a lot to do with academics.
Nobody is out to screw us, we did it to ourselves.

Didn't say that.

Reaction Score
Oh relax - he simply made the point that lots of high profile programs have been banned from the tourny for one year and bounced back. He was being supportive. Fact is we are on probation and we are facing a tourny ban unless something changes. Doesn't matter if the two are unrelated, they are both relevant. Both are a negative influence on the program from anyone looking in who isn't better versed in the details like a few hundred of us here.

Disagree totally. UConn should not accept this ban as though they were guilty of cheating. They should fight it, regardless of getting in trouble for text messages.

Reaction Score
Calhoun may or may not have known, but the program did cheat and was caught doing so. Was the rule stupid? Of course, and while others surely broke the same rule, we have to deal with the consequences, and one of those consequences is a tainted image which doesn't help when the NCAA is throwing out this APR bullsiht.

Did transfers count against the graduation rate. Based on caws' breakdown, which seemed mostly accurate to me, it seems that if you come to UCONN you either transfer, go pro, graduate or do whatever Dove did. Not the end of the world IMO.

Reaction Score
Calhoun may or may not have known, but the program did cheat and was caught doing so. Was the rule stupid? Of course, and while others surely broke the same rule, we have to deal with the consequences, and one of those consequences is a tainted image which doesn't help when the NCAA is throwing out this APR bullsiht.

Did transfers count against the graduation rate. Based on caws' breakdown, which seemed mostly accurate to me, it seems that if you come to UCONN you either transfer, go pro, graduate or do whatever Dove did. Not the end of the world IMO.
I believe that transfers count and entering the NBA draft doesn't otherwise Kentucky would be in deep dodo.
The coaching staff and thier recruiting decisions played a big part in this by signing kids that had little chance of getting PT. It is one thing to sign a Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and have him transfer but there have been too many Trice's who were not major Div. 1 players. The transfers buried us.

Reaction Score

Falling afoul of APR isn't cheating.

Reaction Score
The coaching staff and thier recruiting decisions played a big part in this by signing kids that had little chance of getting PT. It is one thing to sign a Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and have him transfer but there have been too many Trice's who were not major Div. 1 players. The transfers buried us.

What's the difference though between Beverly and Trice?

Reaction Score
Falling afoul of APR isn't cheating.

Of course not. But being on probation for cheating, however minor the transgressions were, does the school no favors in this public image battle, which is aiding the NCAA while they try to pull a fast one and ban us from the tourney.

Reaction Score
I believe that transfers count and entering the NBA draft doesn't otherwise Kentucky would be in deep dodo.

That's one of the silly things. A large reason the school is suffering from the APR nonsense and the low graduation rate is because of poor recruiting.

Reaction Score
Of course not. But being on probation for cheating, however minor the transgressions were, does the school no favors in this public image battle, which is aiding the NCAA while they try to pull a fast one and ban us from the tourney.

Still doesn't mean you have to meekly accept it.

Reaction Score
Still doesn't mean you have to meekly accept it.

Venting on a message board does nothing to help, does it? We both understand the situation and realize it is completely BS, but what can you do other than "meekly" accepting it?

Reaction Score
Venting on a message board does nothing to help, does it? We both understand the situation and realize it is completely BS, but what can you do other than "meekly" accepting it?

Argh, I was referring to the initial post I responded to, from which this part of the discussion derives. Accept that the NCAA is going to screw you as they have others because you're already on probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom