Herbst Stepping Down | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is no time to rejoice. Replacing her will not be easy. Susan has been our greatest President and those who've been critical will soon come to miss her incredibly dynamic, forward looking leadership.

LOL. Who will spend all the money?!?

Make UConn Sports Great Again.

Bye bye Suzie Lax.

Reaction Score
This is no time to rejoice. Replacing her will not be easy. Susan has been our greatest President and those who've been critical will soon come to miss her incredibly dynamic, forward looking leadership.
Well no one has ever gone broke betting against you and I'm not sure this time will be any different.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I am not going to say she has been the greatest president and I am not fully convinced that she is even been "good"
I am glad she is not just diving overboard but has done the right thing in giving the system time to search for her replacement.
She has made some mistakes - the whole Warde "rock star" crap comes to mind and not sure if closing Torrington was the right call but she has had to deal with some very trying budget issues.
Her calling Malloy as a positive for the state and University has my head spinning
I'm not sad seeing her leave but am concerned at the quality of candidates UConn can expect seeing the financial crisis that the state is in currently. I always felt that she allowed her liberal political slant to be too evident.
I do find it "quirky" that she will be teaching PS at UConn-Stamford
Thought for sure her next step would be a president at a private college without being hassled with state BS

Reaction Score

Can’t wait for your post in 5 years after we’ve dropped football and several other sports, cut academic spending, and raised tuition by 50%. No doubt you’ll be pining for Susie reminding everyone how great she was.

She’s getting out before her chickens come home to roost.

Reaction Score
When looking for the next president, maybe bring someone from Texas A&M, where sports, academics, relationships with the business community all are priorities. We need to get the endowment to over $1 billion, closer to $2 billion, and get UConn into a Power 5 conference soon. UConn should be a cornerstone for ensuring the state gets a 21st century economy.

Reaction Score
When looking for the next president, maybe bring someone from Texas A&M, where sports, academics, relationships with the business community all are priorities. We need to get the endowment to over $1 billion, closer to $2 billion, and get UConn into a Power 5 conference soon. UConn should be a cornerstone for ensuring the state gets a 21st century economy.

Lol so get someone from an old money oil rich gold mine to come in and run the university with a reduced budget and mediocre to poor endowment? This is the worst idea yet

Reaction Score
The worst idea would be to get someone like John DiBiaggio again, who puts lots of political pressure on state politicians and is unable to raise significant private funds. We need to get someone who has experience in dealing with the business community and can communicate effectively to them why UConn is a key solution to the state's economic woes. UConn has to provide the business community with the graduates and research that will help businesses succeed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can’t wait for your post in 5 years after we’ve dropped football and several other sports, cut academic spending, and raised tuition by 50%. No doubt you’ll be pining for Susie reminding everyone how great she was.

She’s getting out before her chickens come home to roost.

I'm ignorant as to what she could have done different to better manage UConn financially over her tenure. I view all our state's deep fiscal problems as created by those in power in Hartford (where they see the boat is sinking - but are only willing to debate what color the bubble gum should be to plug the hole rather than making real changes to the ship).

What strategic capital spending and other decisions she should have done differently? I'm not looking to argue, I just honestly don't know what decisions she could have made to materially improve the landscape.

Reaction Score
It's not just Herbst but UConn in general which has basically failed to set up research programs which lead to economic development. UConn also has yet to evolve into a major research university. No surprise we are not in AAU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom