Help me build the all-time "all glue" UConn team | The Boneyard

Help me build the all-time "all glue" UConn team

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
How do you define "glue player"? Well, it's not easy to do, but you probably know such a player when you see him/her. For one thing, s/he (and I'll just use "she" going forward in this post) does the canonical (if not cliched) "all the little things" to help a team win. She makes a team better without posting the gaudiest numbers...even though her statistics are never shabby. She can have an average statistical game that always manages to be productive. She certainly focuses on defense and in some cases is effective defending multiple positions.

Scottie Pippen was such a glue player in the NBA. He might have dropped eight points or 40, but in any case he made the Bulls better that night. He was a tremendous defender and could be assigned to defend positions one through five. If you like men's BB, in fact, you'll enjoy this clip of Scottie on defense:

Given all of this, who would make the all-time Huskies "all-glue team? I can think of three obvious players:

• Jamelle Elliot
  • Kalana Greene
  • Kelly Faris

In addition, Moriah Jefferson is well on her way, and I think an argument could be made for Stefanie Dolson.

I view this thread as a fun and potentially meaningful way to celebrate the contributions of a number of UConn girls we know and love. Join me by doing all of the little things to make this thread better. You could contribute with the name of one glue girl or with seven, but somehow, you improve a thread with every post...

Reaction Score
How do you define "glue player"? Well, it's not easy to do, but you probably know such a player when you see him/her. For one thing, s/he (and I'll just use "she" going forward in this post) does the canonical (if not cliched) "all the little things" to help a team win. She makes a team better without posting the gaudiest numbers...even though her statistics are never shabby. She can have an average statistical game that always manages to be productive. She certainly focuses on defense and in some cases is effective defending multiple positions.

Scottie Pippen was such a glue player in the NBA. He might have dropped eight points or 40, but in any case he made the Bulls better that night. He was a tremendous defender and could be assigned to defend positions one through five. If you like men's BB, in fact, you'll enjoy this clip of Scottie on defense:

Given all of this, who would make the all-time Huskies "all-glue team? I can think of three obvious players:

• Jamelle Elliot
  • Kalana Greene
  • Kelly Faris

In addition, Moriah Jefferson is well on her way, and I think an argument could be made for Stefanie Dolson.

I view this thread as a fun and potentially meaningful way to celebrate the contributions of a number of UConn girls we know and love. Join me by doing all of the little things to make this thread better. You could contribute with the name of one glue girl or with seven, but somehow, you improve a thread with every post...

Carla Berube

Reaction Score

• Jamelle Elliot
  • Kalana Greene
  • Kelly Faris

Still new at posting, but I have to give props to Ms. Gardler. A coaches kid who led her class in floor burns, I believe she has the coaching gene in her dna and she will come up again some day when we discuss Geno's coaching tree. We are nearly at the point where talking about his numbers doesn't have any context. His final and most permanent mark will be felt when more of his players age out of professional WBB and enter the coaaching ranks. IMHO

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is fun to think about the less than star quality players - great thread.
Barb Turner, Jessica Moore, Kelly Schumacher, CD the younger.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
James Harden's sister Epoxee is the ultimate glue player. :)

Reaction Score

• Jamelle Elliot
  • Kalana Greene
  • Kelly Faris

Jamelle Elliot is my first pick, followed closed by Asjha Jones.

Reaction Score
DT, Shea, Stef, and Jen are not glue players. All-Americans are not glue; they are things glue sticks to.
Everyone knows that Stef made every player on the court better with her blockouts, passing and unselfish play. Just because she was a star doesn't mean she can't be the glue.

Reaction Score
It is fun to think about the less than star quality players - great thread.
Barb Turner, Jessica Moore, Kelly Schumacher, CD the younger.
Lets go back away and add Amy Duran - if you have to absolutely make a free throw, the girl was MONEY

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
The first two that came to my mind are Jamelle and Maria Conlon.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying, but consider how DT took a fairly motley supporting cast and glued them together into a NC team. That is what I was thinking of.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Everyone knows that Stef made every player on the court better with her blockouts, passing and unselfish play. Just because she was a star doesn't mean she can't be the glue.

Okay. Name a UConn All-American that didn't make every player on the court better. Couldn't you call every significant player on the '13-'14 team a glue player? None of them were selfish. They all played good team defense. They all tipped rebounds they couldn't get to teammates. They all set screens.

Stefanie wasn't a glue player. She was an All-American who was recognized for everything she did on the court.

This does bring up that I have a problem with the initial example of Scottie Pippen as a glue player. He was named one of the NBA's 50 greatest players of all time. He was a Dream Teamer. He was the second-best player on some truly great teams. He was the #2 scoring option on the Bulls. Yes, he could pass and defend, too, but so could Michael Jordan.

Was Jordan a glue player, too? If we're calling Jordan a glue player, than it loses all meaning, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom