Heard on WHUS today... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Heard on WHUS today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Don't think so.

The problems that the Big 12 has in expanding is their complete discord over divisions. They could not come to any agreements on structure.

What you pick up is that some do not want a North-South that almost ruined the Big 12. And that all of the Texas teams and Oklahoma teams want to play one another. And that the Texas crew wants ISU, Kansas, KSU, and WVU together.

The Big 12 North in 2010

Nebraska
Missouri
Colorado
Kansas
KSU
ISU

The good ole boys of Texas and Oklahoma (who own the conference) would just plug FSU into the North and hope that they could take Nebraska's place.

They might plug Clemson in the North, and move OU to the south to keep the Red River Rivalry in tact. Or they would just have the Red River Rivalry game as a cross-divisional game. Either way, that game would stay in tact. And you are correct; Texas would absolutely want ISU, Kansas, KSU, and WVU together, and that's why they would stick with the North / South divisional set up.

Again...5% chance of happening, but that's how it would go down. The Big12 conference forms a straight line currently from North to South, so that's how they would shape themselves...

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Clemson would be as raving as FSU to play ISU, Kansas, KSU, WVU ?

Nah...that line up is no draw for either Clemson or FSU.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Soooo?

Go back to read my North / South breakdown, where you'll find that both Clemson and FSU are in the south. Holy moly...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong - I think the AAC can be good in about 10 years if schools like UCF, SMU, and a few others pour resources into their sports programs, but I can't wait for the day UCONN is no longer part of it...

What resources? The money for the TV deal that pays each school for ALL sports less than the amount UConn was making from SNY for WOMEN'S BASKETBALL ALONE in the old Big East?

Reaction Score
Go back to read my North / South breakdown, where you'll find that both Clemson and FSU are in the south. Holy moly...

Yeah...Like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would allow Texas and the Texas teams to have access to Florida and South Carolina together in a division...

Texas teams getting exposure for recruiting in Florida and the south...while the north teams still compete to pull recruits out of Texas and the paltry grounds of Iowa. Kansas, and Oklahoma?

Never happen that way.

Reaction Score
What I think is important to understand is that Florida State would be just the first step in Big 12 expansion.

First the Big 12 invites Florida State. Then the Big 12 says "We are happy at 11 schools. 11 is such a great number. We can't possibly imagine ever expanding again. But we will continue to monitor the landscape."

Without Florida State, panic ensues in the ACC. Now all the schools are ripe for the picking.

Now the Big 12 invites Virginia. "We couldn't pass up having both Virignia and West Virginia in the same conference. Now that we are at 12, we have the proper 12 to match our name. We are done expanding." says Bowlsby.

The next day, North Carolina and Duke are invited. "Okay, we are really done this time", says Bowlsby. North Carolina and Duke issue a joint statement saying "We had no choice because we heard North Carolina State and Virginia Tech were going to the SEC".

A few days later the Big 12 adds four more (Connecticut, Syracuse, Clemson, and Notre Dame). Notre Dame joins as a full member because no one will have them as a partial, and they don't want to stick with all the rift-raft left in the ACC.

With 18 teams, the Big 12 changes its name to the Big 18 (but also trademarks the names Big 24, Big 36, and Big 128 in case of future expansion) and splits into two divisions:

East: Clemson, Connecticut, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia, West Virginia.

West: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech.

Scheduling is round-robin in each division (8 games) plus 1 cross-division game in football with a championship game pitting the winners of the two divisions, and single round-robin in basketball (17 games).

6 months later, a secret memo leaks that indicates that Boston College, now stuck in a depleted ACC that's considering merging with the AAC, was originally going to be invitee #18, but Connecticut blackballed them.

Reaction Score
Soooo?

Please. Schools that play B.C., Duke, Wake, etc. on a regular basis have no room to talk--oh that's right, you are a Duke fan.

btw Kansas State destroyed Miami the last two times they played and Kansas took down ACC champ VT a few years back in the Orange Bowl. Another ACC champ lost in historic fashion to WVU just a couple of seasons ago. To pretend these ACC schools are too good to be in a conference with these BIG 12 schools is about as far out there as it gets.

Reaction Score
Bucky...it is not personal...Has nothing to do with "being too good for". I am talking about fan interest.

Do you think that Longhorn fans would drool about playing an eastern line up of Duke, Wake, Clemson, GT, NC State and Virginia?

No.

There is no history, no fan interaction at work....it is playing in a different time zone in another area of the country.

Reaction Score
Bucky...it is not personal...Has nothing to do with "being too good for". I am talking about fan interest.

Do you think that Longhorn fans would drool about playing an eastern line up of Duke, Wake, Clemson, GT, NC State and Virginia?

No.

There is no history, no fan interaction at work....it is playing in a different time zone in another area of the country.
Yeah billy again I agree that almost all perception is regional!!! As good as the history is at Texahoma I'd prefer watching schools from my area uncaring of what "outsiders" watch out west!! Like as far as I'm concerned the Pac12 is "invisible" though most westcoasters would disagree.Bucky seems like a decent enough guy and I admire his loyalties and even agree with much of his opinion but not all.

Reaction Score

No.

billy....is Bucky still with us? I sense he's gone !?!

Reaction Score
He may be gone...

I tended to stay away while he ranted.

If I didn't, it became the never ending thread.

Reaction Score
He may be gone...

I tended to stay away while he ranted.

If I didn't, it became the never ending thread.
Funny but I'm gonna miss him....outside of his delusions he seemed a nice decent enough sort !?! When it comes to fandom aren't we all a little nutty?

Reaction Score

No.

I actually agree with you. That is one but not the only reason I prefer UConn to the B1G . The ACC football teams have far less appeal to New England fans than the big teams.
Maybe to younger fans their is some attraction but to older fans the ACC is a basketball league.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with you. That is one but not the only reason I prefer UConn to the B1G . The ACC football teams have far less appeal to New England fans than the big teams.
Maybe to younger fans their is some attraction but to older fans the ACC is a basketball league.
I would prefer the B1G given the choice too, but reality is UConn has more history v ACC schools seeing as 7 of the 15 are former conference mates from the BE....but the one with the most (or second most) combined championships is still on the outside; the one with a winning record in football against SyraPitt and a .500 record against UL is still on the outside. WTF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I think is important to understand is that Florida State would be just the first step in Big 12 expansion.

First the Big 12 invites Florida State. Then the Big 12 says "We are happy at 11 schools. 11 is such a great number. We can't possibly imagine ever expanding again. But we will continue to monitor the landscape."

Without Florida State, panic ensues in the ACC. Now all the schools are ripe for the picking.

Now the Big 12 invites Virginia. "We couldn't pass up having both Virignia and West Virginia in the same conference. Now that we are at 12, we have the proper 12 to match our name. We are done expanding." says Bowlsby.

The next day, North Carolina and Duke are invited. "Okay, we are really done this time", says Bowlsby. North Carolina and Duke issue a joint statement saying "We had no choice because we heard North Carolina State and Virginia Tech were going to the SEC".

A few days later the Big 12 adds four more (Connecticut, Syracuse, Clemson, and Notre Dame). Notre Dame joins as a full member because no one will have them as a partial, and they don't want to stick with all the rift-raft left in the ACC.

With 18 teams, the Big 12 changes its name to the Big 18 (but also trademarks the names Big 24, Big 36, and Big 128 in case of future expansion) and splits into two divisions:

East: Clemson, Connecticut, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia, West Virginia.

West: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech.

Scheduling is round-robin in each division (8 games) plus 1 cross-division game in football with a championship game pitting the winners of the two divisions, and single round-robin in basketball (17 games).

6 months later, a secret memo leaks that indicates that Boston College, now stuck in a depleted ACC that's considering merging with the AAC, was originally going to be invitee #18, but Connecticut blackballed them.

My guess is that ND would remain as a partial member of the ACC rather than join any conference as a full member.

The only thing, again in my opinion, that would change that is a mandated conference champ only playoff access.

Short of that, ND stays with football independence and partial ACC membership.

Reaction Score

Exactly....then you understand why the ACC needs to augment football more then they need to pick up a basketball school.

When a UConn guy poo poos the ACC as a basketball league, then you know that the league really needs to change perceptions.

The B1G, as you say, does seem a better fit for a northeastern school...and again, as you say, regional fan interest plays in both ways...for UConn guys as well as ACC guys.

UConn would only make sense in the ACC if a pod was created with UConn, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt.

pj

Reaction Score
Exactly....then you understand why the ACC needs to augment football more then they need to pick up a basketball school.

When a UConn guy poo poos the ACC as a basketball league, then you know that the league really needs to change perceptions.

The B1G, as you say, does seem a better fit for a northeastern school...and again, as you say, regional fan interest plays in both ways...for UConn guys as well as ACC guys.

UConn would only make sense in the ACC if a pod was created with UConn, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt.

If the ACC didn't want to be perceived as a basketball league and have northeastern schools, why did they raid a northeastern basketball league seven times?

I don't think you would have preferred adding USF and UCF, both southern schools with a football focus. So it seems you are simply regretting expansion.

Reaction Score
The ACC raided the Big East...the BE and ACC shared an eastern footprint and only one would survive. VT and Miami were really not seen as basketball forward schools but as football adds. I am not sure how BC was viewed. But the Doug Flutie thing was still echoing a little.

The ACC took the better football programs out of the Big East but when you raid a good basketball conference, you get some decent basketball schools.

I would like the addition of UCF or USF (FSU just played a baseball series with USF the last two days). But many in the ACC are leery of an expanding Florida base that would have a Florida counterpoint to Tobacco Road, and some football fans at FSU don't want to give a potential Florida school rival for recruiting a platform.

Reaction Score

This perception in large part is because college football in the northeast including New England is Notre Dame and Penn State. Other schools just capture their alumi bases. Both Notre Dame and Penn State have a long history of playing Big Ten schools on television in the Northeast. That just changed with regard to Notre Dame. Notre Dame fans will be seeing a lot of ACC football games. This may go a long way to changing that perception.

At the same time the ACC wants to continue to be a good basketball league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom