Hawkins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dilemma is expectations from what DH was saying preseason and at Atlantis that UConn needs Hawkins because of Hawkins' scoring. And then you have that juxtaposed against what we see on the floor from Hawkins and how Hurley is utilizing Hawkins. Hurley is playing him like a spot role player not like someone the coach identified as a crucial scorer.

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be a bad idea to sit him for the first half of the next game, sort of like a reboot. He's lost confidence. Having to think about "If he'll play" is better than whatever he thinks about now when he's on the floor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dilemma is expectations from what DH was saying preseason and at Atlantis that UConn needs Hawkins because of Hawkins' scoring. And then you have that juxtaposed against what we see on the floor from Hawkins and how Hurley is utilizing Hawkins. Hurley is playing him like a spot role player not like someone the coach identified as a crucial scorer.
Isn't this a chicken/egg thing? Are you saying his recent poor shooting on the coach for the way he's being used? Or is it, make some shots and then you'll get more run?

Reaction Score
We just saw a vaunted freshman have a coming out game on the women's side (Ducharme). Maybe the same can happen with Hawkins. Jury's still out.
I keep saying he is work in progress. We all want Hawk to improve and be there by March to provide as someone said some minutes for our starters to rest. Hopefully productive minutes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Isn't this a chicken/egg thing? Are you saying his recent poor shooting on the coach for the way he's being used? Or is it, make some shots and then you'll get more run?

It's more an expectations thing. Hurley has made it clear he doesn't think Diggins is ready and Diggins' minutes reflect that.

On more than one occasion Hurley has stated how crucial Hawkins' offense is for the Huskies to be real good this year. Hawkins' minutes and use don't reflect that.

That being said (fancy weasel way of saying 'but'), a coach has to assess real game conditions and adjust accordingly. From what we have seen over the past several games, Hurley no longer considers Hawkins' offense to be crucial or else he'd be playing Hawkins like he plays Polley.

All that being said, i don't know what any of it means other than us fans shouldn't expect Hawkins to be a consistent contributor this season. He will probably have a few games where he shows what he can be in the future, but he's not one of those players who is always going to contribute when he's only getting 10 mpg.

Even last night when he had his fast break layup blocked you could see him going to the bench with his head down and shoulders slumped. Kid is trying to learn how to be a role player at a much highler level of basketball and isn't close yet to figuring it out.

Reaction Score
Play Hawkins, if he hits shots leave him in. If not, sit him the rest of the game and put Polley in. If he hits shots, leave him in. If not, sit him the rest of the game. Don’t ever sub both in together.

Reaction Score
Just use your eyes

The kid is going to be great and just needs a shot of confidence. And a booster. Yes, I do believe he will have games that he will make an impact this season. He has the skills. When you go back ... think Albert Mouring, Rashad Anderson, Tony. Hawkins has better presence than any early on. But he - like most - needs to hit a few to gain confidence. Like kids today, he probably thought he was NBA within the year or 2. Like Bouknight. It probably won't happen and that's ok.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Albert Mouring the guy who would step of bounds all the time when take a 3?

Reaction Score
He will be good…and not just in the future, but this season. There is very little to worry about with Hawkins

Reaction Score
There are guys playing in the NBA that went to UConn and had their own freshman year adjustments to the CBB game as Hawkins is now.. He will be fine with reps and as he matures with on-court successes.

BTW. With Martin back and performing well and the emergence of AJ as a solid contributor-- PT for Hawk -at least in the short term-will probably be dictated by his productivity/efficiency when on the floor.In other words-we are back at full strength. With the right match ups and his confidence restored-- He'll win some games for us going down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Hawkins will be 20 years old this spring. He's playing like a freshman, but he's also too old to be playing like a freshman. So in a sense, it's a good thing because there's little chance of him leaving next year.

Reaction Score
My take on Hawkins is defensive play and body strength are a problem when Hurley is trying to shut down an opponent's offense. So naturally if he's not making shots he gets pulled. He has to get tougher stronger and be aggressive with the ball. Passing it around the perimeter doesn't get it. He has to drive and create his shot. We need him to give us something this year kinda like " the microwave" of old.

Reaction Score
My knock really isn’t on Hawkins, it’s on all you guys that were so ready to anoint him the next great thing at UConn. He deserves more minutes, Hurley can’t coach, blah blah blah jargon that you all use is getting old. The kid has put up 0 points in 3 of the last four. Will he be a good player for us down the road, that has yet to be seen, but at this point in time everyone needs to chill their expectations and let the season play out. If I posted this after a loss you would all agree with me but considering I posted it after a win you all think it’s stupid. It’s the total bipolarness of this board and it’s quite entertaining!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hawkins will be 20 years old this spring. He's playing like a freshman, but he's also too old to be playing like a freshman. So in a sense, it's a good thing because there's little chance of him leaving next year.

Why does his age matter? High school coaching is often times awful compared to college coaching the same way college coaching is pretty bad compared to NBA coaching. He was in high school therefore he is going to play like a high schooler.

Reaction Score
Why does his age matter? High school coaching is often times awful compared to college coaching the same way college coaching is pretty bad compared to NBA coaching. He was in high school therefore he is going to play like a high schooler.
Because if you're an American aged 21, and still in college, the chances of you getting drafted by the NBA has dropped, to where you start realizing that you aren't going to be drafted. Some here knock Bouk for not returning. In the meantime, he just turned 21 this past fall, and even then he was old by NBA draft standards.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Because if you're an American aged 21, and still in college, the chances of you getting drafted by the NBA has dropped, to where you start realizing that you aren't going to be drafted. Some here knock Bouk for not returning. In the meantime, he just turned 21 this past fall, and even then he was old by NBA draft standards.

What does that have to do with him playing like a freshman? He is in college right now of course he is going to play like a freshman regardless of his age. If he takes a huge leap next year he could easily get drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom