OT: - Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke? | The Boneyard

OT: Have any of you had a kid that applied to......Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are compiling a list of potential schools for the younger son. As the list of factors grows, so does the relative appeal of Dook. But, man, it is tough to imagine one of my kids wearing a Dook sweatshirt. Has anyone else already been down this road? How did it turn out?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You can get a great education at Duke while remaining a tried and true UConn fan. Just make sure he doesn't go over to the dark side. Send him down with a bevy of UConn gear so he doesn't need to buy anything from their coop.

Reaction Score
I hear you, Paesano. My son was briefly interested in Duke but decided he wanted to stay closer to home and ended up liking the small liberal arts schools better anyway. But the thought of my son going to Duke was a little tough to think about at first. But Duke is a great school so if your son likes it and gets in then you let him go while holding your nose (you'll be doing that anyway when you write the first tuition check!). And telling him that you will never be rooting for any of the sports team of his college.

There is someone on here whose son or daughter ended up going to Duke and he posted about the same dilemma. Maybe they're still on here and can share their story.

Reaction Score
If he's into girls Duke isn't the place for him, it's like the Notre Dame of the South.

Reaction Score
I know a dozen or so Duke grads. Most went to grad school there and they are totally fine. Just another annoying person about their favorite team (just like I am about UConn). The handful of undergrads I know (plus their college friends) are insufferable except one. That being said, they are all very successful and had a great time at school. If your son can get in, and you can afford it, and you don't let him become a , you'll be proud. You may even wear a t shirt... in the house.

My son plays lacrosse and is a UNC fan so he wears UNC lax gear. It bothers a friend of ours (a grad school guy) so much that he bought my son some Duke lacrosse gear. My son is refusing to wear it. It's a bit of a social dilemma.

Reaction Score
We are compiling a list of potential schools for the younger son. As the list of factors grows, so does the relative appeal of Dook. But, man, it is tough to imagine one of my kids wearing a Dook sweatshirt. Has anyone else already been down this road? How did it turn out?
My daughter applied to Duke and was semi-interested. I told her if she went I would pay for everything other than basketball season tickets. As it turns out, she ended up at Georgetown, which I was totally ok with as their hoops don't really bother me that much. I will say the tour of Duke campus made my skin crawl.....took everything I had to not run over and piss on Cameron.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seriously! I understand our passion for a particular team, but I can't ever imagine putting sports ahead of academics. If your son has the qualifications to get into Duke, gets accepted and wants to go there find ways to cope with your love of UConn men's bb and his desire for an education. And if he goes to the dark side, that is roots for Duke over UConn disinherit him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I bought a couple souvenirs when I visited Duke and UNC. Doesn't mean I'm a fan of them.
I grew up and have lived in Storrs my entire life, went to UConn. Wouldn't discourage my kids from going to any university in the country. If they wanted to go to Duke and could get in, hell I'd be thrilled.

Reaction Score

I love love love that you used the word "had" a kid that applied to Duke, because of course as one should you'd disown said kid if they disappointed you in such a manner.

For the record, joking, obviously Duke is a great school and it would be an honor for your child to be accomplished enough to get in and attend, but man if it were my kid they'd be raised on such a steady diet of Duke-hate that they'd know it earnestly peeved me if they were to do it

(in my 30's no kids yet but workin on it now)

Reaction Score
Here's the deal. If the kid is paying their own freight they can go wherever they want (highly doubtful)
If you are paying a good part of it you calmly explain to them that if they can get into Duke they can get into plenty of top notch colleges.
I can't believe we are having this discussion
What the hell is wrong with you people.
I have two boys and they know that if they asked if they could go to duke it would basically be them stabbing me in the eyes with a machete repeatedly.

Reaction Score
I bought a couple souvenirs when I visited Duke and UNC. Doesn't mean I'm a fan of them.
I grew up and have lived in Storrs my entire life, went to UConn. Wouldn't discourage my kids from going to any university in the country. If they wanted to go to Duke and could get in, hell I'd be thrilled.
I bought a UNC hat and shirt......would NOT go in the Duke bookstore though.

Reaction Score
I hear you, Paesano. My son was briefly interested in Duke but decided he wanted to stay closer to home and ended up liking the small liberal arts schools better anyway. But the thought of my son going to Duke was a little tough to think about at first. But Duke is a great school so if your son likes it and gets in then you let him go while holding your nose (you'll be doing that anyway when you write the first tuition check!). And telling him that you will never be rooting for any of the sports team of his college.

There is someone on here whose son or daughter ended up going to Duke and he posted about the same dilemma. Maybe they're still on here and can share their story.
I hope that person sees this. I would be interested to hear their experiences. It is interesting that you mentioned your son liking the smaller liberal arts schools. My son attended a basketball clinic at Williams last summer and really liked it. However, he also likes warmer weather and it is COLD at Williams.

Reaction Score
Seriously! I understand our passion for a particular team, but I can't ever imagine putting sports ahead of academics. If your son has the qualifications to get into Duke, gets accepted and wants to go there find ways to cope with your love of UConn men's bb and his desire for an education. And if he goes to the dark side, that is roots for Duke over UConn disinherit him.
My head says academics. My heart says, ewwwww......

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Is this REALLY a dilemma in your life? Or just useless sports fan message board fodder? Or a Humblebrag?

- If this is REALLY a dilemma I feel bad for you and your family. I mean really? If a kid, ANY kid, wants to and has a chance to go to a top school and they think its the best fit for them and you are feeling anything but ecstatic for them, pox on your house.

- If its useless sports fan message board fodder, well Im a fan of useless threads. have created many myself. Please continue. Dook sux.

- If it is a humblebrag thread that you made to indicate to all of us that your kid is academically gifted enough to consider Duke seriously, well Im a fan of that too. humblebrag away. But remove the Humble. Its more fun to be boorish. trust me.

I just want to know which way to play this.

Reaction Score
A lady I used to work with's son went to Duke and rooted for UConn during the 2004 NCAA. Never missed a beat.

He ended up going to UConn Law so balanced out. Sounds like a great school and that area is great in general

Reaction Score
I hope that person sees this. I would be interested to hear their experiences. It is interesting that you mentioned your son liking the smaller liberal arts schools. My son attended a basketball clinic at Williams last summer and really liked it. However, he also likes warmer weather and it is COLD at Williams.
Davidson, Washington and Lee, Pomona and Claremont McKenna are all excellent small liberal arts schools that are in warmer climates. But yes, most of the better liberal arts colleges are in cold climates.

Reaction Score
Is this REALLY a dilemma in your life? Or just useless sports fan message board fodder? Or a Humblebrag?

- If this is REALLY a dilemma I feel bad for you and your family. I mean really? If a kid, ANY kid, wants to and has a chance to go to a top school and they think its the best fit for them and you are feeling anything but ecstatic for them, pox on your house.

- If its useless sports fan message board fodder, well Im a fan of useless threads. have created many myself. Please continue. Dook sux.

- If it is a humblebrag thread that you made to indicate to all of us that your kid is academically gifted enough to consider Duke seriously, well Im a fan of that too. humblebrag away. But remove the Humble. Its more fun to be boorish. trust me.

I wouldn't call it a dilemma. Like I said, my head says it is the academics that matters, along with other factors that would make him happy and comfortable. It is just tough for the heart. I mean, it IS Dook! Just for the record I graduated from UConn in 1990. Perhaps that provides some perspective. Luckily, I don't think it will end up as his top choice but it is moving toward the top. I am happy that this is a possibility but I am hoping for a coping mechanism. I like what JSM said. And, if all goes incredibly well, this won't be an issue. None of these schools are a given so you never know which school will be the best one that they get into..

Reaction Score

I think you're smart enough to answer this one on your own.

Reaction Score
Davidson, Washington and Lee, Pomona and Claremont McKenna are all excellent small liberal arts schools that are in warmer climates. But yes, most of the better liberal arts colleges are in cold climates.
Pomona is on the list. I was surprised to find out how much more the climate swings there versus, say, in Westwood. It isn't that far inland but the climate is quite different. And it would be tough to have him that far away. He is also looking at Stanford. We will be headed out to CA this summer to check it out. I have been there. I know he will love it. We are also torn on this one due to the distance. Head says great. Heart will miss him. His brother is already killing us with an internship in the LA area this summer.

Reaction Score
Pomona is on the list. I was surprised to find out how much more the climate swings there versus, say, in Westwood. It isn't that far inland but the climate is quite different. And it would be tough to have him that far away. He is also looking at Stanford. We will be headed out to CA this summer to check it out. I have been there. I know he will love it. We are also torn on this one due to the distance. Head says great. Heart will miss him. His brother is already killing us with an internship in the LA area this summer.
If he gets into Stanford, that's a no brainer. School is incredible and you will be blown away by the campus.

Reaction Score
My son was recruited by the Duke track/cross country team. He took an official visit and I'm not sure what they did but when he came back that is all that came out of his mouth Duke Duke Duke.

At the time there were no track scholarships for the men but they guaranteed him admission. He went but remain a UConn fan. He graduated in 2003, the track team had a tradition where the track team alum from the previous year return to roast the seniors. The senior's parents are invited and it's a fun party. Well it just so happens Duke was playing UConn in the 2004 final four at the sametime of the party.

My wife and I were in San Antonio and were quite excited after the game and we called my son. Seems he was got pretty excited while watching the game and some of the parents were taking offense. He said one particular parent was ready to get into a fight with him. Knowing my son and how obnoxious he can get I can see how things could escalate. Nothing became of it but a good story.

Bottom line he survived, got a great education and ended up going to UConn law school.

Reaction Score
I know a dozen or so Duke grads. Most went to grad school there and they are totally fine. Just another annoying person about their favorite team (just like I am about UConn). The handful of undergrads I know (plus their college friends) are insufferable except one. That being said, they are all very successful and had a great time at school. If your son can get in, and you can afford it, and you don't let him become a , you'll be proud. You may even wear a t shirt... in the house.

My son plays lacrosse and is a UNC fan so he wears UNC lax gear. It bothers a friend of ours (a grad school guy) so much that he bought my son some Duke lacrosse gear. My son is refusing to wear it. It's a bit of a social dilemma.

Played against both Carolina and Duke in college (lacrosse). The Duke guys were entitled tools, Carolina guys just the opposite.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My daughter is too young yet, but I've toured the Duke campus a bit and I would have no problem if she wanted to go there.

Reaction Score
Maybe your kid can be like the Maryland fan who infiltrated the Cameron Crazies and got them to chant "Myron Piggie" at a Duke home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom