Hats off to ND | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hats off to ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought Reimer played much better this game than the last 2. She doesn't seem to mind the dirty work.

I agree, she has been playing tough of late
Has a surprising burst of speed
Handles the ball well
still lacks some basic skills.
And Butler will also prove an able defender and a difficult match-up ofr her or anyone else.
I also have had the political incorrect view that she (Reimer) is too heavy
But I'm an old ballet guy…and in that discipline, keeping weight down is a must.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I take it you do not feel as if other top teams like Baylor, Maryland, South Carolina, etc. play the game intelligently? What do teams like Dayton, Gonzaga, and Green Bay do to lead you to your high BB IQ assessment? What did Notre Dame do in last night's game that have you so enamored of their high intelligence quotient? and what does "Hebrew the talent" mean? It is a term with which I am totally unfamiliar. Never heard it before, ever.
Hebrew was
I take it you do not feel as if other top teams like Baylor, Maryland, South Carolina, etc. play the game intelligently? What do teams like Dayton, Gonzaga, and Green Bay do to lead you to your high BB IQ assessment? What did Notre Dame do in last night's game that have you so enamored of their high intelligence quotient? and what does "Hebrew the talent" mean? It is a term with which I am totally unfamiliar. Never heard it before, ever.
Hebrew was an error- it was supposed to be have. My type settings must have grabbed the word in error. Notre Dme held us to a season low in points, low enough to possibly win that game. They are the only team that comes close to playing like we do in every facet of the game every year. Those 2 nd tier teams have figured out a way to compete with and beat teams with much better talent- or higher ranked recruits. I think if a lot of those coaches switched to higher talent teams, they would be very dangerous, providing the kids have/had the BB IQ required to grasp the concepts. Notre Dame usually impresses- they are usually a mirror image of us.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd say that Turner shut down Breanna in the second half or maybe it had to do with her having turned her ankle and being somewhat gimpy. I agree that she's a very talented lady but I think the compliments may have been a little bit too generous.

Stewart had 4 points before the ankle injury and 4 points after. I thought Turner defended her better than anyone else in the country has. She can match up with Stewart because she is quick enough to close Stewart on the perimeter, keep up with her on the bounce and has size to block shots if Stewart posts up. If you look at the rebounding differential and post player production from the 1st game to the 2nd, it's amazing how different it is.

UCONN Game 1 (3 posts combined): 46 points, 36 rebounds, 17-34 FG
Notre Dame Game 1 (3 posts combined, no Turner): 14 points, 18 rebounds, 6-18 FG

UCONN Game 2 (3 posts combined): 24 points, 22 rebounds, 10-23 FG
Notre Dame Game 2 (3 posts combined, with Turner): 20 points, 21 rebounds, 10-20 FG

Part of it comes down to players just having good games vs. bad ones, but Notre Dame went from -18 on the boards to +10, and they were able to prevent UCONN's post players from dominating offensively. Other factors contributed, but Turner's presence was the biggest factor.

Reaction Score
I have always been a big Muffet fan..... a wonderful coach..... and her jabs.... well we can take it.... we dish out enough of those as well.... that is all part of the mind games and it doesn't offend me.....

She is going to have to do a great coaching job next year..... totally rehauling her strategy minus Jewell.... plugging in Lindsay and running more sets for Turner

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
I must say, MM showed a ton of class. If they fouled, it could have been a 20 point game. Regardless, I gained respect for her and her program!

Reaction Score
Well, she did have 17 in the 1st half of the game in December and 31 overall. I suppose you could say a game in December is not a big game :)
If you looked at the number of shots, it was the SOFTEST 31 points you'd ever want to see. Her shooting percentage against UConn in her career is pathetic though I've seen her enough against other teams to realize she's a heckuva player. Her athleticism and quickness is very, very impressive but for the most part, she's done very little against UConn. As mentioned, there have been times where if you are only looking at points scored, you might have the illusion she's had quite a bit of success at the Huskies but when you are shooting a horrific field goal percentage, you aren't making nearly the impact. Beyond that, if you're jacking up that many shots it sometimes takes your teammates out of the game.

Reaction Score
Stewart had 4 points before the ankle injury and 4 points after. I thought Turner defended her better than anyone else in the country has. She can match up with Stewart because she is quick enough to close Stewart on the perimeter, keep up with her on the bounce and has size to block shots if Stewart posts up. If you look at the rebounding differential and post player production from the 1st game to the 2nd, it's amazing how different it is.

Notre Dame Game 1 (3 posts combined, no Turner): 14 points, 18 rebounds, 6-18 FG

Notre Dame Game 2 (3 posts combined, with Turner): 20 points, 21 rebounds, 10-20 FG

Part of it comes down to players just having good games vs. bad ones, but Notre Dame went from -18 on the boards to +10, and they were able to prevent UCONN's post players from dominating offensively. Other factors contributed, but Turner's presence was the biggest factor.
I didn't suggest that Brianna Turner playing wasn't a factor in this game being closer but there was almost a subliminal suggestion that she "shut down" Stewie and my impression was that most of the difference in her scoring was resulting from her gimpy ankle that would be a nice liability when playing against a very quick and talented defender. Then too, she ended up helping the Huskies with her rebounding and her own defensive play.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I must say, MM showed a ton of class. If they fouled, it could have been a 20 point game. Regardless, I gained respect for her and her program!
So you earned respect for someone who packed it in with 2.5 minutes to go? It's a national championship game, you don't give up that early. You're right, it could have been 20, but what if it wasn't? And is it that big of a deal if you lost by 10 or 20? You still lost. You do everything you can to win. She gave up too early in my opinion. Looking back at her pre-game comments about how they weren't supposed to be there, it almost sounds like she gave resigned herself to defeat before the opening tip.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
So you earned respect for someone who packed it in with 2.5 minutes to go? It's a national championship game, you don't give up that early.

What did she do that indicated that she gave up? What would you have had her do?

Reaction Score

I've agreed with a lot of your past posts these last few days on best teams etc -- but here I don't agree in regards to a small part. Turner gave the 3 to BS anytime BS wanted it. Unlike the days Ewing went against Olajuwon you can see Olajuwon altered his jump shot. In this scenario you could see Stewie's length could get that shot over Turner without Turner being able to affect it. I'm interested to see next time they meet.

Unfortunately I missed the USC vs ND game. I had other work to do before the UCONN game. How was Wilson able to score? Anyhow, I'm thinking this game UCONN vs ND squeezed the paint. No other team has been able to have us struggle as much in the 1st half as ND did. Heck- MoJeff was 1-5 from 3. It wasn't because they were draped over her. They were giving UCONN something in order to take away something. And if Turner could affect BS in the manner you speak - then there would be no reason for them to play a triangle-and-two for example. Why play a triangle-and-two when as you say Turner can matchup with Stewie So you can give MoJeff even more wide open shots?

I agree Turner did a great job defending but I thought it was a lot of team help as well. Which is why Mabrey didn't play as much? I'm not saying I agree with Mabrey not playing as much as you alluded to in a prior post at one time. But maybe her help defense and lack of size would have hurt the team more? I don't know. Just saying I think it was a lot of team too.

And from what I saw- Turner isn't tall enough to close on Stewie from shooting the ball while affecting her shot thus imo she can only affect her shot if she can get in her grill. From the perimeter can she consistently get in her grill for a most of the game? Nah. Anyhow, Stewie has way too much length to affect her on a closeout. I think her ankle was bothering her. I guess we'll see next time they compete. I also think the ankle bothered her.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
What did she do that indicated that she gave up? What would you have had her do?

Not sure she gave up, but a previous post indicated that based on the number of team fouls and time remaining, it wouldn't have been worth fouling to first, get UConn in the bonus, and then second, try to score points yourself in between all this stuff.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I recall watching at the 2:30 mark and thought that she needed to start fouling. She needed to get the clock stopped and hope that UCONN misses some free throws, once they're in the bonus. Even the commentators said afterwards that they were surprised she didn't foul. But she did nothing and let UCONN use up most of the clock as they saw fit.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I recall watching at the 2:30 mark and thought that she needed to start fouling. She needed to get the clock stopped and hope that UCONN misses some free throws, once they're in the bonus. Even the commentators said afterwards that they were surprised she didn't foul. But she did nothing and let UCONN use up most of the clock as they saw fit.

Tell me about other times you've seen a team start fouling w/ 2:30 to go.

The commentators were dumb. Saying she didn't foul with about a minute to go with a 10-point deficit is just talk. Ten points is four possessions. You just aren't making up 10 points in a minute. Virtually any five people can hold onto a 10-point lead with a minute to go.

Remember how astounding it was when UConn scored 18 points in 3:30 against Texas? That's nine points in 1:15 and you're still not making up the deficit -- Texas scored four points in that 3:30, so, that's a bucket in 1:15 -- meaning you've only made up seven points.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
In my mind, they had to start fouling early given how far behind they were and because UCONN was not in the bonus yet. I'm not saying it would work and I don't know if I've seen it before and certainly could have ended up being a 20 point loss, but they needed to try something to win the game. To let UCONN run their offense and using the full shot clock is essentially surrendering.
Your numbers in the Texas show exactly why it had to start at the 2:30 mark if not sooner. They shaved maybe 7 in in 1:15, so to cut it down from 11 or 13, wherever it was, required an earlier start.
If Geno didn't try something when down by 11 in a championship game, would we say he had class for not fouling? I doubt it. Geno never quits and most certainly would have tried fouling the weakest FT shooter to get back in the game.

Reaction Score
In my mind, they had to start fouling early given how far behind they were and because UCONN was not in the bonus yet. I'm not saying it would work and I don't know if I've seen it before and certainly could have ended up being a 20 point loss, but they needed to try something to win the game. To let UCONN run their offense and using the full shot clock is essentially surrendering.
Your numbers in the Texas show exactly why it had to start at the 2:30 mark if not sooner. They shaved maybe 7 in in 1:15, so to cut it down from 11 or 13, wherever it was, required an earlier start.
If Geno didn't try something when down by 11 in a championship game, would we say he had class for not fouling? I doubt it. Geno never quits and most certainly would have tried fouling the weakest FT shooter to get back in the game.

I don't think with2:30 left he'd start to foul.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I don't think with 2:30 left he'd start to foul.
What do you think he'd do? Do you agree he'd do something? Press the inbounder, leave the inbounder and double the ball. He'd do something, right?

Reaction Score
What do you think he'd do? Do you agree he'd do something? Press the inbounder, leave the inbounder and double the ball. He'd do something, right?

With about 2:30 minutes left ND had the ball. I would have told them not to commit a stupid turnover. Of course I'm being flippant but at the 2:30 mark ND had the ball down 13. Now at the 2 minute mark if I'm ND I'm okay with a missed jumper. I would have told my team to get the rebound which UCONN got despite wiping out UCONN on the glass- I couldn't have anticipated UCONN would get the rebound. With 1:30 left I hit a 3 and now I press- down by 10. MoJeff missed a shot and ND came down and missed two threes, one of them with 1:07 left. If at 1:07 I hit that 3, I set up mypress again and it's possible I can get a steal. My team is good at steals. I get a steal and hit a quick shot -- not that crazy to think -- I'm down by 5 or 4 with 50 second left. Maybe then I foul. But I know I'd put on the press again.

Remember two years ago Dolson being called for that outrageous call at ND in the backcourt? And ND forcing us into another trap on another play?

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I personally think that there was an aberration in the final six minutes of the ND-SC game in that a comfortable lead was given up by the Irish that had little to do with anything on the part of SC. I'm not sure what was the cause but I'm very comfortable it wasn't anything to do with coaching. If they played ten times, Notre Dame would win ten times in my mind. Those other nine games would not be as close as this game was. Its pretty apparent that I'm not on the Dawn Staley bandwagon. I think she's a good coach but not a premier coach and maybe history will bear me out or make me look like a jerk.

And perhaps with more history and experience, Dawn will become a premiere coach. I suspect Geno, Muffet, Kim, etc would all say they are better at their jobs now then they were ten years into their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom