Has Omar ever dunked in a regular season game? | The Boneyard

Has Omar ever dunked in a regular season game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have watched almost every husky game the last 2 years. I cannot recall even one time that I have seen Omar Calhoun dunk. Does anybody else have any recollection? I really dont think he has ever thrown one down during a game. Looked terrible on that alleyoop tonight

Reaction Score
To answer your question, he hasn't thrown one down in a game yet.. well, not to my knowledge. The closest I've seen him was at USF last season where he missed on the fast break but had a wrist sprain, I believe..

Reaction Score
Shabazz missed his only attempt a few years back.. it may have been freshmen year. Somebody here prob remembers specifically.

Reaction Score
after watching that alley oop attempt I think something is seriously wrong with his lower body, in HS Omar was throwing down reverses and tomahawks with ease. He could barely get off the floor to catch that one tonight. And to answer your question, no, the closest was the backdoor one hander that he tried to yam on USF and he backrimmed it.

Reaction Score
Omar showed a lot of toughness tonight, especially 1st half rebounding and scrapping…….too bad he started trying to force his way tot the hoop because he was fine!

Reaction Score
Nah. Look at the video above. OC has average hops at best, and below average at worst. Most of the dunks shown in that video he is just above the rim at dunk time, barely getting it in.
This is from a guy with a current 18" vertical, so f--- me. But the point is, Omar never had mad hops. For a 6/4 guy he simply doesn't get off the floor quickly or greatly. Not his game. Magic couldn't either, but he had a hell of a career, so I could care less.

If he pounds his 3s, he's good with me.

I made that up. Cite me please, if you use it.

:)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think at this point we have to realize something is off with Omar either physically from the surgery or mentally ( in a basketball sense).

I hope he guts it out this season and comes back next season all set to go.

Reaction Score
Nah. Look at the video above. OC has average hops at best, and below average at worst. Most of the dunks shown in that video he is just above the rim at dunk time, barely getting it in.
This is from a guy with a current 18" vertical, so f--- me. But the point is, Omar never had mad hops. For a 6/4 guy he simply doesn't get off the floor quickly or greatly. Not his game. Magic couldn't either, but he had a hell of a career, so I could care less.

If he pounds his 3s, he's good with me.

I made that up. Cite me please, if you use it.

:)

I don't know. Watch the reverse in the first 10 seconds of this video and rethink that.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Watch the reverse in the first 10 seconds of this video and rethink that.
Thank you for the reference video.
I don't know. Maybe I'm just down on Omar. He's about 6/5, right? That means that his standing reach is probably around 8'6", which means he needs about 24" of jump to dunk. I think he might have 30" of vertical. Not shabby, but by no means explosive.

I have nothing against him, really, but I guess I've just never been fond of his game, as I see him as a tunnel vision gunner. Nothing aggravates me more as a fan (old fart now, but formerly as a decent player) than seeing a kid miss a pass to a wide open shooter. OC commits that sin far too often.

So him not getting up on the OOP didn't surprise me. He's been at UConn for 1.5 years now and, as somebody pointed out in another thread, the kid never seems to throw down a dunk. Olander is out dunking him. Why is that? What explains that?

We've given him leeway for his hip surgery, as we should, and I hope KO gives him a chance to prove himself next year all over again . . . buuuuut, I think the OC era at UConn occurred primarily last year, and I would be very surprised if he ended up being much more in the next two years than he has been this year, particularly given the talent around him.

Not hating, just stating.

I made that up, so please cite me if you use it. :)

Reaction Score
He's never been a big leaper nut there has to be something going on with him. Forget about him having no lift on that alleyoop attempt, he has no explosion on any of his movements anymore, it's like he's playing with a flat tire.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think people are drawing too broad a conclusion from the alley oop - it wasn't well-thrown, (too low), and I think Omar hesitated between catching it and laying it in or trying to dunk it. He ended up doing neither.

It was just a bad play and not reason for a medical diagnosis or an indictment of his physical abilities.

Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like anyone is denigrating him, I think it's just obvious to us all that he's not right physically.

Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like anyone is denigrating him, I think it's just obvious to us all that he's not right physically.

That's my point. Yeah, we know. We've known for over a month. If he gets right and gives us anything this year, it's found money. It's ridiculous that we have an Omar thread after every win. Leave the kid alone.

How about a Phil Nolan thread? Anyone?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This board is ridiculous. It's so hard to come here after a game especially after a win and read the threads and comments

Reaction Score
What a strange thread.
If the kid is playing hurt, or unrecovered, why has nothing been said by anyone in the program about it? KO and staff would have every motivation to make it known that he's not 100%. Not a peep from anyone, but rather wild-ass speculation on the BY about his medical status.
Also, his numbers are pretty much exactly what they were last year, on a per minute basis, and there has been zero noticeable improvement in his game, whether it is his passing game, shooting form, or driving ability.

Not sure exactly why so many people seem so adverse to coming to the obvious conclusion, which is that OC hasn't panned out and likely will not be much better over the next two years.

It's not an "indictment" of his character or his will to win or his "physical abilities" or a "medical diagnosis." It's just an obvious conclusion, and one of the type that we all gather here to discuss.

When did this board start morphing into the women's board, where bald assessment of game play is only tolerated if it's positive?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This board is ridiculous. It's so hard to come here after a game especially after a loss and read the threads and comments
Fixed it for you.

When we win we have people comparing brima to Ewing. When we loss we call dd a and say Omar sucks. All this thread is about is how Omar has lost his explosion.

Reaction Score
All I wanted to know if anybody had any recollection of Omar dunking in a game the last 2 years. I like Omar and root for that 3 point stroke to come back every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom