Has Coach P given up trying to beat UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has Coach P given up trying to beat UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I generally think that the criticism of mccallie on this board is way out of proportion.

But these statements even strike me as very odd.

All this criticism of Coach McCallie makes me think im in The Devils Den :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
All this criticism of Coach McCallie makes me think im in The Devils Den :rolleyes:
A tough season with all the injuries. Sometimes (maybe most often) a team's/coach's worst critics come from their own fans.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If Mc
Triad, we're just trying to make you feel right at home here on The Boneyard. :)

Reaction Score
The school should fine her for being a detriment to their team. Her statement, McCallie called the seeding "unforgivable," and that she could see the dejection on her players' faces when the seeds were announced putting them in same bracket as UConn.

A winning coach would have said something along the lines of "the players were ecstatic with the opportunity the NCAA has provided for us."
"We want to play the best anywhere anytime, our championship will not be tainted because someone else knocked off the number one team!"

This is simply pi$$ poor coaching, I would not let her train my dog let alone coach my daughter...

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Sorry Duke friends but apparently your Coach P is lining up her excuses already. It sounds like she believes Duke can't beat UConn, period.

The Blue Devils (27-6) played the nation's toughest schedule and had the third-highest RPI, but wound up seeded in the same region as perennial women's basketball powerhouse Connecticut for the second time in four years.

That doesn't seem fair to McCallie.

"To me that is kind of fascinating," she said. "What are we trying to do, keep Duke out of the Final Four?"

Duke coach unhappy team in same region with UConn, AP article from the Sanford Herald

Well given the Duke injury situation she probably is not incorrect in thinking it is a real long shot THIS year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They could have put her in Notre Dame's bracket. :)

Reaction Score
I don't like to criticize a coach, except Geno, :eek: because there is so much we don't know about her team. But those comments show a defeatist attitude that spreads to the players. The game is half over before they take the floor.

6 TO GO
Yes. but remember Geno's comment that was directed, medially, at my favorite player-- 'we don't have an inside game'. It really depends on whether you are making excuses or remotivating a player. Maybe the Dukies should give Tina a call and have her tell them a funny thing she did-- she had a picture of BG plastered in her locker (among doing endless drills). I would be willing to send my collection of current Uconn players to every individual team member of that storied team. Such a nice bunch of girls (we recruited and would have gladly taken a few of them). One would think they were deserving of a much clearer picture from the staff. Must be the education and the Yale-like buildings-- have anyone stayed at that hotel on campus. Take it from me, it's unbelieveable. What parent would say no. Well, some do, don't they!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The school should fine her for being a detriment to their team. Her statement, McCallie called the seeding "unforgivable," and that she could see the dejection on her players' faces when the seeds were announced putting them in same bracket as UConn.

A winning coach would have said something along the lines of "the players were ecstatic with the opportunity the NCAA has provided for us."
"We want to play the best anywhere anytime, our championship will not be tainted because someone else knocked off the number one team!"

This is simply pi$$ poor coaching, I would not let her train my dog let alone coach my daughter...

Woof woof!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Might we say that McCallie exemplifies pessimism and Muffet personifies optimism?

Reaction Score
I agree Blue, but there are just some things a coach just never says in public, and this is one of them.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
The only teams in the field that don't get a sick felling about being in your bracket are
the few bubble teams that just hope to get in any where. Your excitement and joy for
your team is a flip coin, many see the games elephant in our china closet.

Reaction Score
Never mind UConn how about winning a round of 32 game on your home court! They are really gonna struggle next year with all the seniors they are loosing!

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
If Becca Greenwell and Alexis Jones are near 100% Duke will be easily a top 5 team.
They will be much faster and better than this year team, with more versatility both ways

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I feel like that's the chorus every year..."Duke will easily be a top 5 team"...it just never seems to end that way, does it? And on paper, they should be. But they never quite get there. They definitely haven't been a Final Four team in quite some time.

Reaction Score
Well, they'll be big with 7 players 6'2" or bigger.

But they could be thin with ballhandlers:

G Jones (recovering from injury)
G Greenwell (recovering from injury)
G/F Kalia Johnson
W Sierra Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics