Has any other UConn freshman taken this much ownership? | The Boneyard

Has any other UConn freshman taken this much ownership?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I have some vague recollection. As a freshman she was playing with Tina Charles and Renee Montgomery... did she own the joint from day one? I mean Paige is flat out saying "this is all on me and I'm good with that". BTW, I think it's true that I don't have the memory I once did... I mean I don't remember having a better memory but I must have, right?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Stewie had a totally different personality than Paige does, and that's fine! She also didn't need to step up and be the vocal leader, not with Stef and Bria and Kelly on the team. Neither did Maya, she had Tina and Renee.

Paige is certainly special, though. She recognizes that the team needs a leader and is totally fine with that role. I can't believe how lucky we are to get to watch her play for UConn.

Reaction Score
Paige, Stewie, Maya and Dee wouldn’t they make a great starting four! I would have loved to see these 4 play together as freshman and beyond.....! Who would be your fifth?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing any of Paige's predecessors as precocious freshman and I know that Maya, Stewie, DT, Sue were all on that phenom level from early on. What I'm asking about is the leadership and maturity; It maybe that it wasn't needed from those earlier super frosh but Paige seems entirely comfortable with both the challenge and the accountability that comes with leading. She's all of what, 19? Remarkable. Also very interesting from a leadership perspective is the role Evina's carved out for herself. I wonder how much of all this comes from natural assertiveness and how much (if any) is filling a vacuum.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing any of Paige's predecessors as precocious freshman and I know that Maya, Stewie, DT, Sue were all on that phenom level from early on. What I'm asking about is the leadership and maturity; It maybe that it wasn't needed from those earlier super frosh but Paige seems entirely comfortable with both the challenge and the accountability that comes with leading. She's all of what, 19? Remarkable. Also very interesting from a leadership perspective is the role Evina's carved out for herself. I wonder how much of all this comes from natural assertiveness and how much (if any) is filling a vacuum.
I think DT would have/could have, but it just wasn't needed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am curious to see who comes up big against SC. I have no doubt Paige will do her part but I cant see her going for 30 with Dawn doing everything to make others beat her.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can compare Paige right now and her situation in terms of taking control, assertiveness and using her voice as a freshman to some of the other big time freshman like D, Stewie, Maya etc because usually UConn has atleast 2 if not more fantastic senior leaders so the freshman are never put in this position. This years team is completely different in that there are no seniors, and aside from Evina who seems comfortable as a leader, there really isnt anyone else as CW and ONO dont suit that role necessarily and need to focus on their own game more. It is almost perfect timing for her to come in and this is basically her team to lead for the next 4 years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It always comes back to go big or go small.
Compete Homer Simpson GIF by FOX TV

Reaction Score
Sorry just to add, I wonder how much the new generation growing up with the social media acclaim has affected that with Paige? She has been more in the spotlight from a young age then the previous players mentioned, even Stewie who wasnt at college that long ago didnt grow up with the attention Paige has. She is used to the pressure, the acclaim and having to deliver in front of thousands of followers following her every move.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I am curious to see who comes up big against SC. I have no doubt Paige will do her part but I cant see her going for 30 with Dawn doing everything to make others beat her.
Not sure either but I think Nika's on the selection committee.

Reaction Score
Paige, Stewie, Maya and Dee wouldn’t they make a great starting four! I would have loved to see these 4 play together as freshman and beyond.....! Who would be your fifth?
Kara

Reaction Score
Stewie had a totally different personality than Paige does, and that's fine! She also didn't need to step up and be the vocal leader, not with Stef and Bria and Kelly on the team. Neither did Maya, she had Tina and Renee.

Paige is certainly special, though. She recognizes that the team needs a leader and is totally fine with that role. I can't believe how lucky we are to get to watch her play for UConn.
I agree. She’s already the natural leader of the freshmen but you can already see the older players latching onto her as a safety valve. Get stuck with the shot clock winding down? Just get the ball to PB and give her a screen, she’ll figure out something. She’s fine with the role because she’s been in it for her whole BB life.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sorry just to add, I wonder how much the new generation growing up with the social media acclaim has affected that with Paige? She has been more in the spotlight from a young age then the previous players mentioned, even Stewie who wasnt at college that long ago didnt grow up with the attention Paige has. She is used to the pressure, the acclaim and having to deliver in front of thousands of followers following her every move.

That's a very strong point, but one has to be able to back it up with skills and accomplishment and Paige certainly delivers...An unholy combination: followed, lionized, and delivers...since junior high, it seems...and Geno when asks if he is surprised, notes that she tosses the 3's like last night, every day in practice...

Stewie took a while to find it...hit a real low mid-season with the Baylor game, was quite despondent...but by Notre Dame in the NCAA semi's she was ready to take over...and the poor Irish, didn't know what hit them...I remember one drive from the left (almost sideline) when she just swooshed in and deposited her almost as high as the basket floater....The ND kids just watched in awe....

This is different, part of it is the recent composition of the team in recent years...real, real, good...just missing that essential piece, that transcendent
leader....Lou and Pheesa had wonderful skills, but they did not fit that mould...

And this year's team really, really required it, if they were to become something special...The upperclassman, for all their talent, have nights in which they really struggle....you can't lead if you can barely stay on the court.

And so the kiddy corps, Led by that amazing gifted, totally unafraid, girl/child
that Sanka correctly points out, is accustomed to the adulation, thrives on it,
certainly doesn't let it affect her (negatively)....is with great rapidity, furfilling her destiny.

And we (and Geno) have the enormous pleasure of enjoying her do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom