Harsh Yahoo stuff on Andre | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Harsh Yahoo stuff on Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I personally thought he was pretty bad at it, him and AO both. Remember the Melo put back dunk at Gampel that decided the game? That was because Andre bit too high on the hedge and ended up on CJ Fair when the team would've been better off with Roscoe on him, his original man. I thought Andre did a good job defending Kevin Jones on the perimeter but Jones mostly settles for jumpers and doesn't really drive from there. He also did a pretty good job on Cleveland Melvin, but let's not forget Andre not being able to keep up with Royce White at all, who abused him every which way before Roscoe got switched on him.

? The NBA either wants their bigs to blitz the pick and roll or hedge and recover. Drummond isn't going to be asked to switch out and defend guys like Royce White in the NBA. He's going to defend true big guys.

Guys that have a lot of experience scouting in the NBA seem to think that he was pretty good at defending the pick and roll.

Reaction Score
I'm ending the debate here because you're moving your goalposts so far down the line it doesn't make any sense to go any further. How you can't understand that there is no basis to compare Andre's post defense against college players against Kwame's at the same age WHEN KWAME NEVER PLAYED IN COLLEGE AND DEFENDED COLLEGE PLAYERS is beyond me. The point wasn't arguing Andre's post defense against Anthony Davis(why you brought him up is up to you) it was comparing Kwame Brown, THE POINT YOU ORIGINALLY MADE. Maybe caps lock will help you to understand that, the last word is yours.

But do you understand that that logic essentially defeats the whole point of any draft debate? Going by that logic, we shouldn't take any stock in what anybody did in college, because they weren't playing against "NBA players".

Again, how many NBA players did Anthony Davis go up against last year?

Do you just want to throw out everything these guys did because they weren't going up against "NBA players"?

The point is that Drummond was a very good post defender and a very good one on one defender. Statistics support that. You can try and discredit them all you want.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? You made the point that we can't evaluate what he did because he went up against "college big men"(your words, not mine). I'm saying that if we go off of that logic then we can't evaluate anything that a potential prospect did in college, because they all went against other college players. Why not just pick names out of a hat for draft selections?

I never once compared Anthony Davis to Andre Drummond. You completely made that up. I mentioned to just point out how absurd the whole idea is.

I made one post about Kwame Brown, yet you kept bringing him up. In all of the other posts I was talking about Drummond's defensive ability and how ridiculous your premise is. And I'm the one that doesn't understand?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm not overrating Andre, but these guys are underrating him. His floor is DeAndre Jordan. For the first guy to say that Jordan is his ceiling...after a few years??? I'm not a conspiracy nut but everything to come out of Yahoo is very anti-UConn. It's weird.

Drummond has huge "bust potential" because you don't draft a guy in the top 5 to be a DeAndre Jordan, and that may very well be who he turns out to be. But Andre also has, probably, the biggest upside of anyone in the draft. Most people appreciate that -- even if they express doubt he'll become a star. But not these two clowns.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not overrating Andre, ... His floor is DeAndre Jordan.

These two sentences are incompatable. His floor is much, much lower.

The bottom line is that Andre is not going be a star in the league by just showing up to games and practice. He's going to have to bust his hump and that's not a given. Rick Robey played for years and his only move was a lay-up with his left hand. If Andre can just come up with that he will way ahead of the game.

What these guys said isn't out-of-line, but that doesn't mean they will be proven correct. They were saying similar things about James Harden, he was everyone's drafted-too-high bust not too long ago. Like Harden, the ball is in Drummonds court.

Reaction Score
Drummond is a freak. the only thing that is stopping him from becoming a very productive NBA player is him and I know nothing about the kid personally so i'm not going to say anything about him or his work ethic.

maybe 1/100 big guys that are drafted are ready offensively their first few years in the league. lets not pass judgement on the kid until year 4 when most big guys really make that big leap into a productive player.

if i didn't need an immediate impact player i'd jump all over Andre. big guys with that athleticism are few and far between.

and even tho i love the team/school, i'm far from a UConn homer when it comes to analysis. if i thought he'd suck, i'd say it. at this point i think you judge a big guy on his raw abilities and whether he's willing to work. if he's the type of kid that is going to put in the time, i don't see many players with more upside in the draft.

Reaction Score
Right 21. I would say that if you are drafting him thinking he's going to help in the short term, you are wasting your time. Ideal situation for him would be something like one where he could be a backup for a couple of seasons and develop. But I'm not sure very many GMs would want to do that with a Top 5 pick. If the NBA had a sensible system, he go to the D-League for a year or two, or even stay in college for a couple more seasons. But of course they don't. So he'll get a big contract but who knows if he'll become a bigtime player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW... i think the writer is a bit of a moron, but as several posters pointed out, while the "critique" was essentially correct, the kid was 18 years old. he has a lot of upside. i don't expect him to be an elite NBA center, and he may never be, but he certainly could be an Okafor type player for many years, and his ceiling is probably higher. I know there aren't a lot of things we like about Bynum, but he was pretty much a non-factor his first few years but he's turned into an elite center thru hard work and training.

Reaction Score
the Bynum path is essentialy what i was getting at. thats the normal progression of a young stud big guy. Bynum clearly put in the work while a guy like Kwame chose the other path of laziness. None of us know what path Drummond will take but the upside of him is more than just about any other guy in the draft.

As for the Okafor comment. While Emeka has caught a lot of flack for being hurt alot, he's been a very prodcutive NBA player when he's stayed on the court. not many guys have averaged a double double with 1.8 bpg over an 8 year period. I'm not saying he's totally lived up to being the #2 pick, but he's been pretty damn good but has been playing on bum teams that never allow him to showcase his skills to the public on TV.

Reaction Score
Bynum rose up the charts as a junior/senior in high school. Was raw, went to NBA for a few years and sat, got better. Now would be considered an All Star center, or close. If Bynum had been a one and done at Uconn would expect he would have had a very limited impact for that one year, just like Drummond. Dwight Howard still can't shoot a foul shot, or jumper.
Key thing I saw last year with Drummond doesn't have much basketball experience. Out of position a lot, arms down, not moving to better place on court as play develops, no "that's my rebound mentality like the Worm", no form on shots. This is all something he can get much better at if he has the right attitude as to studying, listening and working. Uconns offense was impossible to play in last year for seasoned players, a novice like Andre had no chance.
The down playing of an 18 year olds work ethic based on ??? Not knowing how to do something is not the same as having no interest in learning how to do it. Never saw a trace of attitude by Andre last year, whether playing or sitting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Davis actually does have some back to the basket moves. If you watched him in the tourney you would have seen a number of lefty and righty jump hooks and turn arounds. He also shoots about 50% points better from the line. And he has more of an excuse for his developing post game than Andre because he hasn't even been a big man for 3 years.

You may be right that Drummond has a higher ceiling but not much higher and Davis is much more likely to reach his ceiling.

Not much, and not really against other legit big men. Withy completely neutralized him in the Championship game, despite the outcome. Davis' shot blocking is excellent. He has timing and athleticism. But he has a ton of development still to come to be an all star at the NBA level. I don't think the stark distinctions between him and Drummond are warranted.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

The bottom line is that Andre is not going be a star in the league by just showing up to games and practice. He's going to have to bust his hump and that's not a given. Rick Robey played for years and his only move was a lay-up with his left hand. If Andre can just come up with that he will way ahead of the game.

What these guys said isn't out-of-line, but that doesn't mean they will be proven correct. They were saying similar things about James Harden, he was everyone's drafted-too-high bust not too long ago. Like Harden, the ball is in Drummonds court.

Sounds like you overrate DeAndre Jordan. I would be shocked if Drummond isn't a competent defensive player and rebounder like Jordan is (which is all he is). I would be disappointed if he isn't better than Jordan within two years. Jordan is what Drummond will be if he learns ZERO post moves and never learns to shoot either a HOOK, a JUMP SHOT, or a FREE THROW. So if Drummond stays at the same level offensively, he will be Jordan. Now, defensively, Jordan is ahead of Drummond (but actually not even very good -- he's a plus shotblocker but not great otherwise). Of course, Andre has to work at it. I assume he will put the time and work in necessary to be a good defensive player and rebounder. Not a high bar. Which is was my point entirely.

Saying I'm overrating him by saying he'll at least as good as Jordan is just as subjective as my comment was. I was simply saying I'm not expecting Drummond to be a great player the way I have expected other Huskies to be great players (and then seen them fall short of expectations).

C

Chief00

These Yahoos are total lightweights in their parents basement - no understanding of the game

Reaction Score
You called him the best player in the country this season. I'm not sure you should be throwing stones.

Reaction Score
There is a stark distinction between Davis and Drummond. If you don't think that, I question your basketball IQ. The biggest difference is Davis almost always makes a difference in every game he plays and can do so in more than one way. He is better than Andre in almost every aspect of the game.

caw

Reaction Score
Marc Gasol was as slow if not slower than Hasheem and he was able to defend the pick and roll while on the same squad. Can athletic abilities come into play on D, yea, but you have to know what you're doing out there and also have a willingess to defend what's thrown your way. Hasheem's biggest problem is he had no clue and he also played lazy on D.

Not having any proof, I think Gasol is much quicker laterally than Hasheem.

Drummond's floor is lower than 4-5-1 as a rookie, 5-5-1 as a 2nd year player, 7-7-2 and finally 7-8-2 as a fourth year player with the best P&R PG in the game? Really? Are you willing to take under 6-6-1.5 for a four year average for Drummond's first 4 years? Keep in mind DeAndre Jordan was a year older entering the league also. I'd say that's a very fair floor based on actual production from Jordan.

Reaction Score
This is all insane... 7' 270, crazy athlete... as a freshman he went 10 pgs, 7reb, 3bl!! Oh and he's a great guy with alot of charisma

Whatever team gets him gets a gem, and he is being undervalued. Honestly alot of these comments I would look at the teams at picks 7-13 who are desperately hoping he falls to them. Watch it now, this will all turn in the next few days before the draft and he will go higher than expected.

Mark it down

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
ESPN Stats & Info@ESPNStatsInfo
Of the 125 players who defended at least 75 post-up plays this season, Andre Drummond allowed the fewest points per play.
People have told me that they didn't think Drummond was a good defensive player in terms of guarding his own man but I've always thought otherwise. Good stat

Reaction Score
Someone please save all the homer posts in the archives and resurrect it when Anthony Davis is a perennial all star and Andre is a bench big guy 5 years from now. Another case of homerism empowering the Internet poster to think they are smarter than those that are paid to evaluate. There is a sharp, again sharp contrast between Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond. The Kwame comparison isn't worth anyones time to even dissect.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Someone please save all the homer posts in the archives and resurrect it when Anthony Davis is a perennial all star and Andre is a bench big guy 5 years from now. Another case of homerism empowering the Internet poster to think they are smarter than those that are paid to evaluate. There is a sharp, again sharp contrast between Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond. The Kwame comparison isn't worth anyones time to even dissect.

Nice to know you can see into the future, maybe you should buy some lottery tickets to go along with those predictions.
I know Andre for a few years and know how much he loves the game and wants to be the best he can be. He needs work on his offense but the desire is there, that I know for sure.

Reaction Score
Show me where I said that. You are pretty clueless.

If (a) I didn't work for a living and (b) there was an easy way to search by poster, I certainly would. You know you said it, it's fine. People say ridiculous things from time to time. You got any other "rumors" you're hearing that have already been announced by the athletic department?

Reaction Score
Does anybody remember Roy hibbert his freshman year at Georgetown ? It comes down to what environment he is drafted into , that will dictate his growth in the first few years . I feel like some people on here have an ax to grind because of our dissapointing season. As far as yahoo and other media outlets we all know gms peddle them pointless drivel in order to get what they actually want in the draft ( hence dion waiters being so high on boards smh).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom