Harry & Villanova | The Boneyard

Harry & Villanova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Harry seems to have really picked up the recruiting: He has Adrianna Hahn and two others this year, picked up transfer Janna Tucker from the Lady Vols, and has the 5 star 5th ranked wing for the class of '16. Could we see Harry rise to the top of the BE in a few years? And will that kind of athletic talent cause him to change his team's style at all? Will be interesting to watch for the next few years.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
How much more time does Harry have coaching... we talk about Geno and CViv but Harry has been around for a while himself (dont know his age)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
How much more time does Harry have coaching... we talk about Geno and CViv but Harry has been around for a while himself (dont know his age)
Harry (58) is younger than Geno (61) and CViv (67). He graduated from college in 1978 and immediately became head coach at Villanova at age 22. Villanova was actually in the Atlantic 10 for his first 2 years there and then the Big East conference was formed. Geno was first a head coach in 1985 (all at UConn, of course) while CViv started in 1971 at Cheyney, then Iowa, and finally Rutgers.

Reaction Score

Harry is 58. Turns 59 in about 10 days. He has been the Head Coach at Villanova since 1978.

Reaction Score
Harry seems to have really picked up the recruiting: He has Adrianna Hahn and two others this year, picked up transfer Janna Tucker from the Lady Vols, and has the 5 star 5th ranked wing for the class of '16. Could we see Harry rise to the top of the BE in a few years? And will that kind of athletic talent cause him to change his team's style at all? Will be interesting to watch for the next few years.
\
I liked watch Harry P on the sidelines--I thought he micromanaged his team a bit --but he appeared to be a very nice guy and a great friend to Geno. It speaks loudly about Geno, the number and closeness of his coaching friends is rare, especially when Geno's teams regularly stomp those of his friends.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I got to talk to Harry once at the Geno roast, a few years ago. Very nice, down to earth guy. He was from the same area as my ex-wife, although I don't hold that against him :rolleyes:. So we talked about the area and where to get a good cheesesteak, a good grinder, etc.

Reaction Score
I ran into Harry at the Thanksgiving Tournament in Florida last season. Had a short conversation and questioned him on why he hasn't scheduled UCONN. He replied that his team is young and wasn't ready to play UCONN. With these incoming players, maybe now he will be ready to resume scheduling us. Hope so, my wife and I went to Philly in 2004 with another couple when both the men and women played Villanova on the same Saturday. Of course the women were favored to win a National Championship that year and they lost and the men won in OT. The men's game was very exciting, Anderson hit a three with seconds left in regulation to tie the game. But it all turned out great, both teams won the National Championship that year. Let the season begin.

Reaction Score
I met Harry in 2007 at the tournament St.Eliz.(Wilmington,Del.- K. Rushdan) hosts every year. EDD and Ursuline were there and I wanted to check her out, ironically St. Eliz. was at a tourney out west and wasn't there, but Harry was,standing against the wall at the end of the gym. So at half-time I went to chat him up and even though he knew it was a long shot (Nova WAS in her final 5), I think he was shrewd enough to sense her impending "homesickness" and was giving it his best shot. He was pleasant and I've always loved watching him coach, he puts on quite a show.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Harry also signed 2016 Kelly Jekot. At one time there was mutual interest between her and UCONN not sure what happened but Kelly will be coming in the same time that Tucker is eligible. Should be interesting.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think Harry will be radically altering his style, he has always been smart enough to get players that can play within it.

When he has talent, Villanova can be dangerous.

I agree with all who say he is a nice guy. My wife and I spoke to him very briefly, congratulating him on receiving a COY award, and he was extremely pleasant, pointing out his long friendship with CVS in the conversation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I met Harry in 2007 at the tournament St.Eliz.(Wilmington,Del.- K. Rushdan) hosts every year. EDD and Ursuline were there and I wanted to check her out, ironically St. Eliz. was at a tourney out west and wasn't there, but Harry was,standing against the wall at the end of the gym. So at half-time I went to chat him up and even though he knew it was a long shot (Nova WAS in her final 5), I think he was shrewd enough to sense her impending "homesickness" and was giving it his best shot. He was pleasant and I've always loved watching him coach, he puts on quite a show.
where is Rushdan... wow I forgot about her

Reaction Score
I got to talk to Harry once at the Geno roast, a few years ago. Very nice, down to earth guy. He was from the same area as my ex-wife, although I don't hold that against him :rolleyes:. So we talked about the area and where to get a good cheesesteak, a good grinder, etc.

MEYERS: now, just which ex-wife are we referencing here? (And, we Philly guys don't talk about grinders; we talk hoagies/ This doesn't mean I don't still love ya.) Stay well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Rushdan is a assistant coach at her former High School (St. Elizabeth)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYERS: now, just which ex-wife are we referencing here? (And, we Philly guys don't talk about grinders; we talk hoagies/ This doesn't mean I don't still love ya.) Stay well.
Grinders, hoagies, poorboys, subs, hero's, whatever. Ex-wives, girlfriends, lovers, whatever. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rushdan is a assistant coach at her former High School (St. Elizabeth)
Khadijah was beast coming up. She was actually creating a nice mold of Power Point Guard but knee injuries robbed her of the athleticism. She was a major menesis to both of my daughters in AAU and High School.

Reaction Score

What's the UConn fans know about Hahn down in DE? I got to watch her a lot. Close with EDD and went to same school. Doesn't look like a player walking in the gym but she is something..her handle and range and shooting off the dribble (behind the back, step back, whatever) is Steph Curry like..I'm not saying UConn or anyone missed but I think a lot underestimated her for more hyped up players..like a lot of the McD AA's..took her team to national rank with no height and not that much help..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What's the UConn fans know about Hahn down in DE? I got to watch her a lot. Close with EDD and went to same school. Doesn't look like a player walking in the gym but she is something..her handle and range and shooting off the dribble (behind the back, step back, whatever) is Steph Curry like..I'm not saying UConn or anyone missed but I think a lot underestimated her for more hyped up players..like a lot of the McD AA's..took her team to national rank with no height and not that much help..

You peaked my interest with this prior post below and gave me 1 more reason to go watch Nova during the 2015-16 season.
Adrianna Hahn, (2015) 5'7" PG from Ursuline Academy in DE (ring a bell?) was the best player on Belton's AAU Team (Team Takeover); although always recruited is now getting high level offers from ACC and interest from Stanford and other BCS..Coach is EDD's trainer..(John Noonan)..top 25 player..lot's of PGs but not many with the same IQ and 3 ball range
I hope Adrianna Hahn is everything you are predicting.

Reaction Score
I don't think Harry will be radically altering his style, he has always been smart enough to get players that can play within it.

When he has talent, Villanova can be dangerous.

I agree with all who say he is a nice guy. My wife and I spoke to him very briefly, congratulating him on receiving a COY award, and he was extremely pleasant, pointing out his long friendship with CVS in the conversation.
Harry also had a friendship and exchange of Coaching techniques with Pat Summitt, even after the urinary contest with Geno, his friend.

Reaction Score
Grinders, hoagies, poorboys, subs, hero's, whatever. Ex-wives, girlfriends, lovers, whatever. :cool:
Yes the fun times---Grinders, Hoagies, pooboys, subs, hero's , ate them all Waterville's grinders are the best. Wives, girlfriends, lovers just make sure you keep them separated. ,.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes the fun times---Grinders, Hoagies, pooboys, subs, hero's , ate them all Waterville's grinders are the best. Wives, girlfriends, lovers just make sure you keep them separated. ,.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
where is Rushdan... wow I forgot about her
I think she was the first frosh to be the Delaware POY. Then EDD became the second a year later. KR was the only in-state player close to EDD's level.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think she was the first frosh to be the Delaware POY. Then EDD became the second a year later. KR was the only in-state player close to EDD's level.
I think they had some great HS battles

Reaction Score
What's the UConn fans know about Hahn down in DE? ...

I am a huge fan of Hahn and can't wait to see at Villanova. And you are right, she does not look like it but she is athletic and has killer instincts with the skills to match. She has been underrated, in my opinion, because she has had knee issues that has limited her exposure in 2 AAU seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom