Hall of Famer Lynette Woodard named new Winthrop women's coach | The Boneyard

Hall of Famer Lynette Woodard named new Winthrop women's coach

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ROCK HILL, S.C. - Basketball Hall of Famer Lynette Woodard has been named Winthrop's women's basketball coach. Woodard joined the program as an assistant last August and was appointed acting head coach in January following the suspension of then-coach Kevin Cook. Cook was later let go by Winthrop as Woodard finished out the season.

Winthrop went 6-55 the last two seasons and double-digit players transferred away from the program in the last three years. Cook’s suspension and eventual agreement with the school to move on left a void filled by Woodard, who was named interim coach on Jan. 25 and oversaw the final 12 games without a win. She was grateful to Cook, in the audience Tuesday, for bringing her to Rock Hill and is clearly energized to rebuild Winthrop’s program.

“We’re moving forward. I’m so proud to lead our team, which is right here before you,” Woodard said, pointing to some of the players in attendance. “They’ve been through a lot. But I know that they’re winners in their hearts and we’re gonna work together to get this thing turned around.”

Now Woodard can add head coach to her resume. Winthrop athletic director Ken Halpin told the gathering that he gets excited talking about doing things that have been done before.

“We have someone here on our staff that’s easily more accomplished than anyone I know in doing things that have never been done before,” he said, as Woodard beamed.

NOTE - Article about the Samuelson sisters is below this one.

[Rest of article]

lynette

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32