Hailey Van Lith in the Portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno wants his shooters to shoot. Case in point. In UConn’s Sweet 16 loss to tOSU, Azzi was 6/17. How does that compare with Hailey Van Lith? In Louisville’s loss to Iowa in the Tournament she shot 8/19. Not much difference there.

and I wish Azzi would have shot more that game, especially in the 4th qtr.

Reaction Score
I think people are getting a little paranoid about NIL and super teams and the rest of it. Yes there is some money now available to stellar athletes but a player like Van Lith is already drinking from that well, as would be Betts wherever she goes to school if she also produces on the court which I am pretty sure she will. And that is the bottom line.

There are a bunch of young women who are arriving at college with their own brand already, and the college they go to isn't all that important. And for some, what they do on court may not be either.
Thank you for bringing a sense balance to this whole thing. Reading some of the comments and folks act like women's basketball is in its final days. Talk of "Super Teams" and how the "NIL is ruining the game" is just a little too much and I agree, people are getting a little paranoid.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
knowing how to beat the press and actually doing it are distinct things.
My thoughts exactly. You know that Geno spent considerable time in practice preparing UConn to deal with tOSU’s press. The plan was to have Azzi inbound the ball to a wing and then get the ball quickly to the middle to Nika to dribble into the frontcourt, or back to Azzi to swing it to the other side of the court.

Azzi made a number of bad decisions and the ball frequently got stuck in the corner. At some point, Geno had Nika inbound the ball. That worked a little better for awhile, but then Nika made some bad decisions.

For Geno it must have been like watching a car crash in slow motion. As I said after the game, a healthy Paige Bueckers shreds the Buckeye press easily, just like VA Tech’s pg did in the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. You know that Geno spent considerable time in practice preparing UConn to deal with tOSU’s press. The plan was to have Azzi inbound the ball to a wing and then get the ball quickly to the middle to Nika to dribble into the frontcourt, or back to Azzi to swing it to the other side of the court.

Azzi made a number of bad decisions and the ball frequently got stuck in the corner. At some point, Geno had Nika inbound the ball. That worked a little better for awhile, but then Nika made some bad decisions.

For Geno it must have been like watching a car crash in slow motion. As I said after the game, a healthy Paige Bueckers shreds the Buckeye press easily, just like VA Tech’s pg did in the Elite 8.
Agree. It was emotional exhaustion, if you ask me. I don't hold Azzi or Nika responsible for missing the right pass, or the rest of the team for becoming stagnant against the press. They were emotionally spent. It was a long hard season.

Reaction Score
knowing how to beat the press and actually doing it are distinct things.
Not that the highest level of D1 basketball they aren't ... or at least shouldn't be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
These guys have a spotty record so FWIW

Either WER is wrong (again) or Jeff Walz is wrong about Hailey Van Lith’s desire to be closer to home. I am reminded of when Destiny Slocum out of the PNW transferred from MD, initially to be closer to home at OR St, ultimately ending up at Arkansas.

“The long and winding road, that leads to your door….”

Reaction Score
If Walz is correct, then it surely looks like Oregon is in play.
Stanford (since she already graduated) would be a much better option. They still have a pretty good core of Brink, Demetre and Iriafen.

Oregon has completely gone downhill since the trip of Ionescu, Hebard and Sabally left.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stanford (since she already graduated) would be a much better option. They still have a pretty good core of Brink, Demetre and Iriafen.

Oregon has completely gone downhill since the trip of Ionescu, Hebard and Sabally left.
But what if Oregon also brings in Betts along with Hailey Van Lith in a package deal? In addition, rumors are flying that next year will be Tara’s last at Stanford, and while they will still be a formidable team, they certainly don’t look like a national champion.

Reaction Score
Geno wants his shooters to shoot. Case in point. In UConn’s Sweet 16 loss to tOSU, Azzi was 6/17. How does that compare with Hailey Van Lith? In Louisville’s loss to Iowa in the Tournament she shot 8/19. Not much difference there.
Small sample size is a known source of error in statistical analysis.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Small sample size is a known source of error in statistical analysis.
No doubt. But the perception that Hailey Van Lith is not someone UConn would be interested in, simply because she shoots a lot on a team that needs her to shoot a lot, is erroneous imo. I think UConn is not interested in Hailey Van Lith because the Huskies are loaded at guard. Had she been available before last season when Paige went down, UConn would have been knocking down the door.

Reaction Score
Thank you for bringing a sense balance to this whole thing. Reading some of the comments and folks act like women's basketball is in its final days. Talk of "Super Teams" and how the "NIL is ruining the game" is just a little too much and I agree, people are getting a little paranoid.
It may be premature but that doesn't mean it won't happen eventually......the portal allows already powerful teams the ability to bypass years of recruiting to instantly attain the proven players they need to strengthen any weaknesses in their rosters that would have been far more difficult under the old transfer rules.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why would she want to come to UConn? There's already going to be a log jam for playing time at the guard spot between Paige, Nika, Azzi, and the newcomers.
Because she's wants a ring, she's better than all of them (cept PB) and we need a shooter?

Reaction Score
Because she's wants a ring, she's better than all of them (cept PB) and we need a shooter?
I don't think we "need" anything from the portal but if were to want anything the last thing would be another guard imo. We have plenty of shooters on this roster and enough coming in that adding someone like Hailey Van Lith would seem like creating a problem rather than fixing one. Why add a player that is typically a star to an already crowded backcourt? If we were to use the portal for anything I think it would be another proven big. I think we have a lot of talent and potential in the 4/5 position but the only proven commodity is Aaliyah.

Between Ice, Jana, Patterson, and Amari I think someone will step up and prove themselves but getting an insurance policy wouldn't be the worst move.

Reaction Score
Van Lith isn't coming to UConn so stop wasting your time talking about it. Betts is the one we should hope to get since the only proven D1 post player we have is Aaliyah. All the others are either untested or simply haven't shown enough ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom