Guard recruit ? Kendal Harris | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guard recruit ? Kendal Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't say he was a Beverly "level athlete". I said they had a similar ranking coming out of High School. Upper 70's. 3 Star. I said he's fairly athletic. He's not in Dunn's athletic league yet. I'm hoping I'm wrong. I was just going on the the poster who was saying he's similar to Dunn, when that's far off.

Rankings schmankings.

Watch him play.

I fail to see how a kid with this much explosion is "far off" Dunn's level of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Kris Dunn is a terrible comparison for Terrence Samuel. Samuel is a solid, heady point guard who is always looking to pass. He is definitely not an outstanding athlete like Dunn is, but he's much more of a natural point guard.

They are both 6'3'' and neither can shoot very well, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

Reaction Score
Rankings schmankings.

Watch him play.
I fail to see how a kid with this much explosion is "far off" Dunn's level of athleticism.

Whatever, I would estimate 90% of Div 1 men's players can dunk a ball. I'm glad you think so highly of him. I hope all those expert recruiting services are wrong & he's not a 3 star recruit. I'm a UConn fan, but I'm just being realisitic. If you want to believe he's as athletic as Kris Dunn, so be it. I'll look for him in the High School All American game.

Reaction Score
Whatever, I would estimate 90% of Div 1 men's players can dunk a ball. I'm glad you think so highly of him. I hope all those expert recruiting services are wrong & he's not a 3 star recruit. I'm a UConn fan, but I'm just being realisitic. If you want to believe he's as athletic as Kris Dunn, so be it. I'll look for him in the High School All American game.

You mean Jordan Brand? He is playing.

Reaction Score
Kris Dunn is a terrible comparison for Terrence Samuel. Samuel is a solid, heady point guard who is always looking to pass. He is definitely not an outstanding athlete like Dunn is, but he's much more of a natural point guard.

They are both 6'3'' and neither can shoot very well, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

Samuel doesn't play as much point as you think, he plays off guard. Nor does he have a great handle. You are right that he passes well. His best attribute is his athleticism in driving to the hoop and his ability to control his body to make all kinds of shots while driving.

Reaction Score
Samuels is very athletic and has gobs of potential. all he needs to do is listen to Ollie.

Reaction Score

caw

Reaction Score
This comparison to Dunn is so unfair to Samuel. Dunn was a High School All American. He was probably the #2 PG in the country last year. Dunn is super athletic, a tremendous defender & was an excellent scorer. Samuel is not in that class. Hopefully Samuel can contribute some next season with energy. No need to start comparing him to Dunn, because that just puts unneeded pressure on the kid from himself & fans.

Put it this way, Darius Smith, Jamal Trice, Scotty Haralson came in as higher recruits than Samuel. His ranking is similar to Donnell Beverly's. Let's hope he does better than these guys. I do hear read he's fairly athletic, but his game needs refining.

I somewhat agree that it is an unfair comparison, but not for the reasons listed above.

2012 class was weak in general and the PG class for 2012 was extremely weak.

Top three PG's per ESPN in 2012 were Marcus Paige (8 ppg, 4.5 apg in 28 MPG), Kris Dunn (5.3 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 2.7 APG in 27 MPG), and Yogi Ferrell (8 ppg, 4.5 apg in 28 MPG).

Dunn wouldn't be a top 5 PG in the 2013 class, IMO. I would actually put Dunn below Harrison, Hill, Goss, Jackson, Jordan, Barber, Walton and Ennis in 2013 and I love Dunn.

Boatright (around #75) was 50 spots lower than Dunn (around 20) out of high school.

After watching both in full games (not highlights), Dunn is more athletic, but Samuels is no slouch. The biggest difference is style of play. Samuel almost always goes for the simple play, whereas Dunn (in high school) almost always went for the fantastic play. You could argue Samuel can't see or do the fantastic play, but could argue he has a higher BBIQ and knows where the ball is supposed to go. Won't find out until later. Dunn is probably a slightly better defender.

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree that it is an unfair comparison, but not for the reasons listed above.

Top three PG's per ESPN in 2012 were Marcus Paige (8 ppg, 4.5 apg in 28 MPG), Kris Dunn (5.3 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 2.7 APG in 27 MPG), and Yogi Ferrell (8 ppg, 4.5 apg in 28 MPG).

Dunn wouldn't be a top 5 PG in the 2013 class, IMO. I would actually put Dunn below Harrison, Hill, Goss, Jackson, Jordan, Barber, Walton and Ennis in 2013 and I love Dunn.

Boatright (around #75) was 50 spots lower than Dunn (around 20) out of high school.

After watching both in full games (not highlights), Dunn is more athletic, but Samuels is no slouch. The biggest difference is style of play. Samuel almost always goes for the simple play, whereas Dunn (in high school) almost always went for the fantastic play. You could argue Samuel can't see or do the fantastic play, but could argue he has a higher BBIQ and knows where the ball is supposed to go. Won't find out until later. Dunn is probably a slightly better defender.

Agreed. I think people here get a little carried away about Dunn-the PC board is questioning his ability to be their PG next season because of his handle!!!!! He has about as many turnovers as assists, is a poor shooter and makes many silly mistakes. I'm from NL and when was the last time SECt had a superstar basketball player in college? The competition in basketball is weak in the ECC even though Dunn played against better competition his Sr year thanks to scheduling. Anyone questioning Samuels competition in NY??? I think/hope Dunn has a great career at PC, even though I don't like PC, because he's a great kid.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Fixed
You know, I don't give a rat's ass if the kid is "guilty" of whatever was in the police report. So what? He was drunk, he was angry, and he shoved his girlfriend and knocked her glasses off. That means he can't play basketball? Nonsense.

We live in such a weenie-washy society. It's not like he gave her two black eyes and broke her eye socket. It's not like he's some sort of serial girl-beater.

What kind of eunich, umemotional, passionless, metrosexual, PC lives do you freaks live to conclude that a 5 am drunken rant that resulted in pushing and glasses being knocked off means that the kid should be banned?

Seriously? Raise your hand if you've never done something stupid while you were drinking.

Also, raise your hand if you've never driven your car at greater than .08 BAC.

Screw you.

Wolf's coming back, I'm a gunnuh love it when he does, and I don't give a that he got physical with his girlfriend, because I have no idea what happened between them, and unlike you, and the other eunich, umemotional, passionless, metrosexual, PC, I'm all for equal rights, emotionally and physically, and sometimes people deserve to have their glasses pushed off their faces, regardless of gender.

Reaction Score
You know, I don't give a rat's ass if the kid is "guilty" of whatever was in the police report. So what? He was drunk, he was angry, and he shoved his girlfriend and knocked her glasses off. That means he can't play basketball? Nonsense.

We live in such a weenie-washy society. It's not like he gave her two black eyes and broke her eye socket. It's not like he's some sort of serial girl-beater.

What kind of eunich, umemotional, passionless, metrosexual, PC lives do you freaks live to conclude that a 5 am drunken rant that resulted in pushing and glasses being knocked off means that the kid should be banned?

Seriously? Raise your hand if you've never done something stupid while you were drinking.

Screw you.

Wolf's coming back, I'm a gunnuh love it when he does, and I don't give a that he got physical with his girlfriend, because I have no idea what happened between them, and unlike you, and the other eunich, umemotional, passionless, metrosexual, PC, I'm all for equal rights, emotionally and physically, and sometimes people deserve to have their glasses pushed off their faces, regardless of gender.

Tell 'em why you mad, son! :cool:

caw

Reaction Score

Screw you.

I've gotten in my share of fights sober and drunk, sent a kid to the hospital for facial reconstructive surgery for a 5 am fight. I've never raised my hand to a female. You know what being a sissy is, being violent with someone smaller than you.

And no, I've never driven after having an alcoholic drink of any sort, and i was in a frat in the south, I know too many people who have died because of driving drunk (one is too many). I don't care if it's legal or not, it's just stupid.

Reaction Score
If Husky99 is right and Harris is going to stay in Texas, where do we stand with Austin Pope? Seems like our only other option at the guard position for next year.

Reaction Score
If Husky99 is right and Harris is going to stay in Texas, where do we stand with Austin Pope? Seems like our only other option at the guard position for next year.

We don't need Austin Pope. He's like a 1 star recruit... and he thinks he's Jamal Crawford, according to him. Except, no one else sees that comparison.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
From what I have seen and heard, TS has a solid handle and he does play a lot of PG for his team but not exclusively. I think Donnell Beverly-grade handle...not Kemba Walker but better than OC. Also he is a strong kid who is a good passer and has good defensive fundamentals. He will definitely get a fair amount of minutes off the bench next year.

Reaction Score

In all fairness to Dunn, he just started playing around Dec 20th, this after missing several months while recovering from shoulder surgery. And add in the fact, Vincent Council is PC's starting PG and he's had an outstanding career at PC (though he too missed time with injury). Bryce Cotton is playing like a first team Big East player, so Dunn isn't as featured this year. However, he was a Top 25 recruit last year, whether anyone questions it or not.

Samuel will hopefully do well over time. He's a combo guard, steady with some athletic abilities. He'll probably be more of a role player during his career at UConn. It's not a bad thing. I'm not putting him down, I'm just saying don't bill him into some kind of savior like some folks seem to be doing. UConn has solid, recruits coming in... No stars, but Facey does have potential to develop into someone very good.

Reaction Score
You know what being a sissy is, being violent with someone smaller than you.
So you never got in a fight with a dude smaller than you?
I've never raised my hand to a female.
"raised my hand." Like I said. You don't know what happened. Maybe he caught her banging some other guy. If he did, and all he did was push her and knock her glasses off, then I'd say he showed tremendous restraint - I, for one, who not have had nearly that much restraint. If that makes me a sissy, so be it.

caw

Reaction Score
In all fairness to Dunn, he just started playing around Dec 20th, this after missing several months while recovering from shoulder surgery. And add in the fact, Vincent Council is the PC's starting PG and he's had an outstanding career at PC (though he too missed time with injury). Bryce Cotton is playing like a first team Big East player, so Dunn isn't as featured this year. However, he was a Top 25 recruit last year, whether anyone questions it or not.

Samuel will hopefully do well over time. He's a combo guard, steady with some athletic abilities. He'll probably be more of a role player during his career at UConn. It's not a bad thing. I'm not putting him down, I'm just saying don't bill him into some kind of savior like some folks seem to be doing. UConn has solid, recruits coming in... No stars, but Facey does have potential to develop into someone very good.

I like Dunn and think he will get better. He was deservedly a top 25 player in his class. It was a weak class, especially for PGs. He would be 50 or lower in 2013 or 2011.

Look at 2011, the top 10 PGs in the class (per rivals, can't find ESPNs):
  1. Marquis Teague: 33 minutes, 10 PPG, 4.8 APG NBA after freshman year
  2. Josiah Turner: 25 minutes: 6.8 PPG, 2.4 APG (Complete headcase though talented)
  3. Tony Wroten: 30 minutes, 16 PPG, 4 APG NBA after freshman year
  4. BJ Young: 25 minutes, 15 PPG, 2.3 APG
  5. Myck Kabongo: 31 minutes, 10 PPG, 5 APG
  6. Ky Madden: 20 minutes, 7 PPG, 2 APG
  7. Jahii Carson: DNP: 37 minutes 18 PPG, 5 APG this year
  8. Quinn Cook: 12 minutes, 4 PPG, 2 APG
  9. Ryan Boatright: 30 minutes, 10 PPG, 4 APG
  10. Chris Jones: JC player of the year this year?
Others of note:
#16 Shane Larkin
#19 Naadir Tharpe
#26 Trey Burke

2012 PGs:
  1. Kris Dunn
  2. Kevin Ferrell
  3. Semaj Christon
  4. Marcus Paige
  5. Dominic Artis
  6. Tyler Lewis
  7. Ryan Arcidiacono
  8. James Robinson
  9. Codi Miller McIntyre
  10. J-Mychal Reese
There isn't a single one and done player there, IMO. Boatright was #9 and #41 overall by Rivals, I can't imagine Dunn being higher.

caw

Reaction Score
So you never got in a fight with a dude smaller than you?
"raised my hand." Like I said. You don't know what happened. Maybe he caught her banging some other guy. If he did, and all he did was push her and knock her glasses off, then I'd say he showed tremendous restraint - I, for one, who not have had nearly that much restraint. If that makes me a sissy, so be it.

It's hard when you are only 6'5 265 :p.

No seriously, I've always been one of the smaller guys, until hitting a college growth spurt as a sophomore, I just know how to fight. I'd say the smallest guy I've gotten in a fight with was in high school and was 5'10, 185, so about my height at the time and had a good 15 lb's on me (again, at the time).

Reaction Score
In all fairness to Dunn, he just started playing around Dec 20th, this after missing several months while recovering from shoulder surgery. And add in the fact, Vincent Council is PC's starting PG and he's had an outstanding career at PC (though he too missed time with injury). Bryce Cotton is playing like a first team Big East player, so Dunn isn't as featured this year. However, he was a Top 25 recruit last year, whether anyone questions it or not.

He's not a combo guard, he's a true point. No offense, but based on your posts regarding him and Facey, how many actual games have you seen between the two of them? Not 2-3 minute youtube clips, but games from this season? Not saying you have to have seen multiple games or even a game because we all have lives and its not a duty to be up on HS players, but everything you've typed comes off as "I've heard or I've read", stop going by everything the national guys say, especially when the majority of them don't even sweat NYC hoops like that and don't even have a real grasp on the players.

Reaction Score
I like Dunn and think he will get better. He was deservedly a top 25 player in his class. It was a weak class, especially for PGs. He would be 50 or lower in 2013 or 2011.

Look at 2011, the top 10 PGs in the class (per rivals, can't find ESPNs):
  1. Marquis Teague: 33 minutes, 10 PPG, 4.8 APG NBA after freshman year
  2. Josiah Turner: 25 minutes: 6.8 PPG, 2.4 APG (Complete headcase though talented)
  3. Tony Wroten: 30 minutes, 16 PPG, 4 APG NBA after freshman year
  4. BJ Young: 25 minutes, 15 PPG, 2.3 APG
  5. Myck Kabongo: 31 minutes, 10 PPG, 5 APG
  6. Ky Madden: 20 minutes, 7 PPG, 2 APG
  7. Jahii Carson: DNP: 37 minutes 18 PPG, 5 APG this year
  8. Quinn Cook: 12 minutes, 4 PPG, 2 APG
  9. Ryan Boatright: 30 minutes, 10 PPG, 4 APG
  10. Chris Jones: JC player of the year this year?
Others of note:

#16 Shane Larkin
#19 Naadir Tharpe
#26 Trey Burke

2012 PGs:
  1. Kris Dunn
  2. Kevin Ferrell
  3. Semaj Christon
  4. Marcus Paige
  5. Dominic Artis
  6. Tyler Lewis
  7. Ryan Arcidiacono
  8. James Robinson
  9. Codi Miller McIntyre
  10. J-Mychal Reese
There isn't a single one and done player there, IMO. Boatright was #9 and #41 overall by Rivals, I can't imagine Dunn being higher.

UConn or most teams are not looking for One & Done players (save KenSucky). A lot of this year's successful players are based on opportunity. Dunn & Ferrell are playing behind established players, very good players this season (Counsil & Hulls). Obviously, there are hits & misses, but normally recruiting services are spot on... and sometimes players surprise based on physical development.

That said, Burke is the best PG in my opinion this year. He just "gets" it. Larkin has been great too. Yes, not top recruits, but both highly recruited. Arcidiacono & Carson have been great as freshman.

Reaction Score
He's not a combo guard, he's a true point. No offense, but based on your posts regarding him and Facey, how many actual games have you seen between the two of them? Not 2-3 minute youtube clips, but games from this season? Not saying you have to have seen multiple games or even a game because we all have lives and its not a duty to be up on HS players, but everything you've typed comes off as "I've heard or I've read", stop going by everything the national guys say, especially when the majority of them don't even sweat NYC hoops like that and don't even have a real grasp on the players.

Really? So I read many scouting reports & listen to experts to keep up. I guess I am no doing my duty on attending every game of UConn's incoming recruits ... I guess I am wrong & so are the national recruiting services, who's been watching them for years. I do know it's not an exceptional year for NYC players. Maybe the scouts missed this??? I did say Facey has potential to be a very good player, but his best skill is on defense now. I've never said any of UConn's recruits suck. I just say give them time to develop & not expect them to be Stars like everyone is clamouring for.

Reaction Score
Really? So I read many scouting reports & listen to experts to keep up. I guess I am no doing my duty on attending every game of UConn's incoming recruits ... I guess I am wrong & so are the national recruiting services, who's been watching them for years. I do know it's not an exceptional year for NYC players. Maybe the scouts missed this??? I did say Facey has potential to be a very good player, but his best skill is on defense now. I've never said any of UConn's recruits suck. I just say give them time to develop & not expect them to be Stars like everyone is clamouring for.

I guess you missed the part where I said it's not a life duty to watch recruits' games? The national guys calling Samuel a combo is where the scouting reports are flawed, he's not and anyone who has watched over the past year knows this.

Reaction Score
I guess you missed the part where I said it's not a life duty to watch recruits' games? The national guys calling Samuel a combo is where the scouting reports are flawed, he's not and anyone who has watched over the past year knows this.

So what is he? 50% of recruiting services call him a point guard. The other's call him a SG. Look at our very own Bone-yard report... We list him as a PG, but he's the #39th SG coming in. He's a combo guard from everything I heard. It's not a bad thing. Tony Robertson was a very valuable player for UConn with a similar description!

http://the-boneyard.com/blog/recruiting/mens-basketball-recruiting/

Reaction Score
From what I have seen and heard, TS has a solid handle and he does play a lot of PG for his team but not exclusively. I think Donnell Beverly-grade handle...not Kemba Walker but better than OC. Also he is a strong kid who is a good passer and has good defensive fundamentals. He will definitely get a fair amount of minutes off the bench next year.

I've watched a couple entire games. He did not handle the ball as point for the majority of the games. Also, he was stripped several times in both games. He is definitely a good passer. I would not feel comfortable with him at PG even as a fill-in next year unless his handling improves a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom