Guard recruit ? Kendal Harris | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Guard recruit ? Kendal Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's not a combo guard, he's a true point. No offense, but based on your posts regarding him and Facey, how many actual games have you seen between the two of them? Not 2-3 minute youtube clips, but games from this season? Not saying you have to have seen multiple games or even a game because we all have lives and its not a duty to be up on HS players, but everything you've typed comes off as "I've heard or I've read", stop going by everything the national guys say, especially when the majority of them don't even sweat NYC hoops like that and don't even have a real grasp on the players.

While I agree with you that he's better than Bear advertises, I watch the game against the Philly Charter and also Boys & Girls, and he wasn't the primary ball handler, but did handle the ball a lot. He also looks to pass mostly, and he gets most of his points slashing, so in that sense, he is a true point. But not the primary ball handler. His team was kind of a donut team, played around the perimeter mostly. They actually look like VCU to me.

caw

Reaction Score
UConn or most teams are not looking for One & Done players (save KenSucky). A lot of this year's successful players are based on opportunity. Dunn & Ferrell are playing behind established players, very good players this season (Counsil & Hulls). Obviously, there are hits & misses, but normally recruiting services are spot on... and sometimes players surprise based on physical development.

That said, Burke is the best PG in my opinion this year. He just "gets" it. Larkin has been great too. Yes, not top recruits, but both highly recruited. Arcidiacono & Carson have been great as freshman.

I don't think you are getting what I am saying. The recruiting services are fine for that year. Dunn was a top 3 PG recruit for 2012, I do think he was overrated overall because he was a PG though. I don't think he should have been above Calhoun.

2012 was just a very weak year overall and for PG's in particular. If Dunn had been a 2011, or 2013, recruit he would be lucky to be a top 10 PG recruit and in the top 50 for either of those classes. He got extremely lucky to be in a weak class.

My point is that you can't compare Samuel's ranking in 2013 to Dunn's ranking in 2012.

If both were in 2013, likely it's a difference of maybe 50-75 versus 100-125, instead of top 20 (Dunn 2012) versus 100-125 (Samuel 2013). Much smaller ranking gap if Dunn were in 2013. Dunn would still be rated higher, IMO, but it wouldn't be as large a gap.

If both were in 2012, Samuel is likely top 75-100 or so.

If you want to compare two players from PC and UConn, it would be Austin (74, Rivals) and Samuel (115, Rivals) as both are in the same class.

caw

Reaction Score
While I agree with you that he's better than Bear advertises, I watch the game against the Philly Charter and also Boys & Girls, and he wasn't the primary ball handler, but did handle the ball a lot. He also looks to pass mostly, and he gets most of his points slashing, so in that sense, he is a true point. But not the primary ball handler. His team was kind of a donut team, played around the perimeter mostly. They actually look like VCU to me.

Was Ricky Moore a PG or SG? El-Amin handled it more and Moore really only scored on slashing and passed a lot. I would still describe Moore as PG.

Samuel is the same on his high school team. No he isn't the defender or same player that Moore was, but he fills the second PG role on his team in a similar fashion.

Reaction Score
Was Ricky Moore a PG or SG? El-Amin handled it more and Moore really only scored on slashing and passed a lot. I would still describe Moore as PG.

Samuel is the same on his high school team. No he isn't the defender or same player that Moore was, but he fills the second PG role on his team in a similar fashion.

I agree with that, but his handle gives me pause.

Reaction Score

I admire your enthusiasm. Hope he proves it true... I'm just going by the experts here. Everything I've read or heard is Samuel is a combo guard. Solid handles, good set up man.... good scorer, suspect outside shooter. He's not one or the other. If he turns into an El-Amin or Ricky Moore, that would be great. I haven't heard anyone saying he's that good. At the end of the day, he's averaging 15 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg. Solid but is that a star player for UConn?

caw

Reaction Score
I admire your enthusiasm. Hope he proves it true... I'm just going by the experts here. Everything I've read or heard is Samuel is a combo guard. Solid handles, good set up man.... good scorer, suspect outside shooter. He's not one or the other. If he turns into an El-Amin or Ricky Moore, that would be great. I haven't heard anyone saying he's that good. At the end of the day, he's averaging 15 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg. Solid but is that a star player for UConn?

He doesn't need to be a star player. I was comparing him to Moore not El-Amin. I think what you wrote describes the following three UConn players. #1 I couldn't find freshman or sophomore numbers for.

UConn player #1: 7.5 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 3.5 APG, 1.6 SPG (44%, 33%, 73%) - Junior
6.8 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 3.6 APG, 1.1 SPG (42.3 FG%, 35.3 3PT%, 81% FT) - Senior

UConn player #2: 2.1 PPG, 0.8 RPG, 1.4 APG (38%, 0%, 72%) - Freshman
7.9 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 5.6 APG (39%, 11%, 74%) - Sophomore
6.4 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 6.1 APG (47%, 20%, 73%) - Junior
9.8 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 6.4 APG (51%, 31%, 81%) - Senior

UConn player #3: 8.1 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 4.9 APG (435, 25%, 55%) - Freshman
9.2 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 5.1 APG (46%, 30%, 65%) - Sophomore
7.7 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 4.8 APG (44%, 06%, 56%) - Junior
6.3 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 6.5 APG (42%, 20%, 55%) - Senior

Two of the above won NCAA championship trophies as starters. The other also has a ring.

Reaction Score
He doesn't need to be a star player. I was comparing him to Moore not El-Amin. I think what you wrote describes the following three UConn players. #1 I couldn't find freshman or sophomore numbers for.

UConn player #1: 7.5 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 3.5 APG, 1.6 SPG (44%, 33%, 73%) - Junior
6.8 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 3.6 APG, 1.1 SPG (42.3 FG%, 35.3 3PT%, 81% FT) - Senior

UConn player #2: 2.1 PPG, 0.8 RPG, 1.4 APG (38%, 0%, 72%) - Freshman
7.9 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 5.6 APG (39%, 11%, 74%) - Sophomore
6.4 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 6.1 APG (47%, 20%, 73%) - Junior
9.8 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 6.4 APG (51%, 31%, 81%) - Senior

UConn player #3: 8.1 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 4.9 APG (435, 25%, 55%) - Freshman
9.2 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 5.1 APG (46%, 30%, 65%) - Sophomore
7.7 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 4.8 APG (44%, 06%, 56%) - Junior
6.3 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 6.5 APG (42%, 20%, 55%) - Senior

Two of the above won NCAA championship trophies as starters. The other also has a ring.

Reaction Score
Were any of them 3 star recruits? Ricky Moore was a high level recruit.

I'm done arguing. Keep up the positive thoughts. UConn needs them. It's nice having recruits interested in UConn. At the end of the day, UConn needs some difference makers to keep them atop of the basketball world. Role players are good, a team full of role players will keep UConn in the middle of the pack.

Night....

caw

Reaction Score
Were any of them 3 star recruits? Ricky Moore was a high level recruit.

I'm done arguing. Keep up the positive thoughts. UConn needs them. It's nice having recruits interested in UConn. At the end of the day, UConn needs some difference makers to keep them atop of the basketball world. Role players are good, a team full of role players will keep UConn in the middle of the pack.

Night....

FFS, Trey Burke was a three star. Ollie was a two star (if). Cotton on PC was unrated (leading BE in scoring).

EDIT: I let you side track me, that wasn't the point of what I posted. The point was you don't need stars at every position to win, or at least UConn never has. Now head back to the Providence board.

Reaction Score
I think the most important thing tha came out of this thread is that caw can handle his bid'ness. Big Boy who likes to have a few cocktails and throw down!!! ;)

caw

Reaction Score
I think the most important thing tha came out of this thread is that caw can handle his bid'ness. Big Boy who likes to have a few cocktails and throw down!!! ;)

LOL, I'm too old for that ish now, unless someone messes with my daughter.

Reaction Score
Check out minute 3:35 here:

C'mon, look at a Wiggins video and then talk about athleticism. Samuel seems like a great kid with the potential to be a contributor but, athletically and otherwise, he's not in Dunn's league coming out of high school. It doesn't make you less of a UConn fan to admit what anyone who's being honest knows. Sometimes you sound ridiculous tying yourself up in knots trying to avoid saying UConn isn't the absolute best at everything.

Incidentally, to the other guy who's been blowing Kris Dunn in this thread, he has looked awful at PC.

Reaction Score
C'mon, look at a Wiggins video and then talk about athleticism. Samuel seems like a great kid with the potential to be a contributor but, athletically and otherwise, he's not in Dunn's league coming out of high school. It doesn't make you less of a UConn fan to admit what anyone who's being honest knows. Sometimes you sound ridiculous tying yourself up in knots trying to avoid saying UConn isn't the absolute best at everything.

Incidentally, to the other guy who's been blowing Kris Dunn in this thread, he has looked awful at PC.

So, he's not in Dunn's league, and Dunn looks awful--therefore...

You're comparing Wiggins to Samuel? Talk about a outlandish comparisons. Who mentioned Wiggins?

Reaction Score
So, he's not in Dunn's league, and Dunn looks awful--therefore...

You're comparing Wiggins to Samuel? Talk about a outlandish comparisons. Who mentioned Wiggins?

The point is that you are incorrect in your assessment of Samuel's athleticism. Athleticism is not the thing that stands out about his game. Conversely, athleticism is exactly what stands out about Kris Dunn's game.

You also pointed us to a particular play in one of the videos you posted as an example of Samuel's terrific athleticism. There wasn't anything particularly special about that play.

Reaction Score
The point is that you are incorrect in your assessment of Samuel's athleticism. Athleticism is not the thing that stands out about his game. Conversely, athleticism is exactly what stands out about Kris Dunn's game.

You also pointed us to a particular play in one of the videos you posted as an example of Samuel's terrific athleticism. There wasn't anything particularly special about that play.

OK, you guys are right, he's nowhere in the same galaxy as a kid who is awful (Dunn).
He doesn't have a good handle, and he can't shoot from the outside (this is me saying that).
So, what's the conclusion?

Reaction Score
OK, you guys are right, he's nowhere in the same galaxy as a kid who is awful (Dunn).
He doesn't have a good handle, and he can't shoot from the outside (this is me saying that).
So, what's the conclusion?

I'm only talking about athleticism. That's the comparison you made. Dunn's athleticism is not awful.

Reaction Score
I'm only talking about athleticism. That's the comparison you made. Dunn's athleticism is not awful.

Here's a video of Dunn at his best (not one game, but highlights):

Leaping ability is the same, dunking is the same, slashing is the same, body control is the same. What Dunn shows here is a much better handle, equal in passing, and maybe a better jump shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom