Griner turns down national team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Griner turns down national team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Maya did a great job handling the ball... she is better without it but she can do it. I would prefer no cappie... Lawson over Cappie... but even then... And yes.. Semoine can handle the ball well. Because of that I would go for someone like Asjha over a guard.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this will only add fuel to the "Griner's a dude" morons who use the fact she didn't participate in Team USA as a basis for believing the reason why was that she was afraid of failing a gender test.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this will only add fuel to the "Griner's a dude" morons who use the fact she didn't participate in Team USA as a basis for believing the reason why was that she was afraid of failing a gender test.
It already has.. Guess where.

Reaction Score
They have Seimone listed as a forward but she is very comfortable (not to mention capable) at the guard spot. She is very versatile but seems to be more of a 2 guard these days. Her handle, quickness and range on the perimeter are outstanding. Not to mention the fact that she and Whalen have logged significant minutes together as a backcourt combo with much success. Of the various combinations Geno will have at his disposal, he could easily run Sue & DT as the starting backcourt and then sub in Whalen and Seimone. Team USA really has excellent 4 guards in this lineup, which is plenty IMO.

If the past is any guide--even more so since Griner is now unavailable--the committee will go for more size on the inside. Which is why I would go with Asjha.

One word, Nneka.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
One word, Nneka.
For 2012, not possible. Because there are a number of posts (including Appel) who have been involved with the USNT for years ahead of her, and she has not been a candidate.

For 2016, she should get into the mix, assuming she excels as a pro.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Dupree was wonderful last season in the Hartford tryouts and continued her remarkable shooting and all-court presence in the tournament. Even though we're UCONN fans here, I don't see how she can be overlooked.

Reaction Score
For 2012, not possible. Because there are a number of posts (including Appel) who have been involved with the USNT for years ahead of her, and she has not been a candidate.

For 2016, she should get into the mix, assuming she excels as a pro.

not talking posts, but rather forwards. She is easily one of the top forwards in the game. I have no doubt she'll excel as a pro.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

It already has.. Guess where.
ummmmmm the ESPN board?

Reaction Score
I suspect Geno cares more about size at the 2 and the 3 than he does ball-handling. Think UConn of the past with two wings that were 6 foot or taller. Taller wings to make the post entry pass and taller wings to close out on the tall international shooters. Sue and Lindsay have point guard taken care off and DT can play as the 3rd point guard if needed for Geno. The addition of Seimone adds one more perimeter player than Geno had in the World Championships, and makes them pretty well set at guard.

The 12th spot will almost certainly be a post with only 3 true post players currently on the roster. It will be interesting to see who they take.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
One word, Nneka.

Would be a very interesting player to add to the mix, I agree! I was going with the existing pool that the committee was working with.

She is awesome.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think there will be many minutes in the Olympic games where Fowles and Tina Charles are on the floor at the same time. In case you haven't noticed because you don't follow the CT Sun, Tina has developed a very reliable 15-foot jump shot since she turned pro, and she can play the 4 as well as the 5 quite competently. I think those two plus Candace Parker will get the lion's share of minutes at the 4/5 now that Griner is out of the picture.

I would expect to see Dupree or Brunson as the 12th player -- as rebounding forwards to fill the minutes not taken by Fowles / Parker / Charles. While they are not clearly better than Asjha, I think they would get the nod over her. If Geno wants jump shooting as well as defense/rebounding/putbacks from this role, then either Dupree or Asjha would be more promising than Brunson, but if rebounding is the major deciding factor, then it would be Dupree or Brunson. So Dupree is probably the best overall choice.

I think Nneka will be a major contender for the 2016 Olympics, but not 2012. I don't think Jayne Appel will be in the picture.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I'm for adding Nneka. No particular reason but to shows support to our good freinds who post here from The Farm.:)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I like the idea of having a younger player from college play with the experienced pros. Nneka would be a good choice.

Reaction Score
I remember when Sue and D made their first Olympic there was talk from the committee and the players that it was important to bring on the "youngsters" to the team, to learn from the vets and to pass the baton. For that reason I would go with Nneka. If they want to go with the more experience, I would go with Asjha.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like the idea of having a younger player from college play with the experienced pros. Nneka would be a good choice.
Over Ashja? no way. i think Nneka will be on the team in the future, but not at this point. she's not as good as Jones.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Holy carp! Ok, to be clear--Brit did not turn down the 12th spot after being offered. She withdrew from consideration. The 12th spot has not been offered yet.

Did Brittney call Geno?

I hope the family situation gets resolved.

A.J. did a nice job in the World Championships. She can defend much taller players and hit the midrange jumper very reliably. I hope she gets it.

I agree. There is a big difference between withdrawing your name than turning down an invitation to join the team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I agree. This will very likely only increase this talk.

Reaction Score
Dupree was wonderful last season in the Hartford tryouts and continued her remarkable shooting and all-court presence in the tournament. Even though we're UCONN fans here, I don't see how she can be overlooked.

how come no one ever mentions elle della don..iam not a fan but she seems to have the moves..i know she plays in a weak conference and i have never seen her play against a good team with a good defense but she is the leading score in the nation and can play just about any position
i know i spelled her name wrong

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I read this from an article on Fullcourt.com. My prayers are with Griner and her family. Her mother was unable to travel to the Final Four. And shame on those on other boards who want to think that there is a darker reason for BG not playing.

http://www.fullcourt.com/lee-michael...-olympic-games

"According to a spokesperson for USA Basketball Griner's mother, Sandra, is seriously ill, though the nature and severity of her illness were not known at this time."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I read this from an article on Fullcourt.com. My prayers are with Griner and her family. And shame on those on other boards who want to think that there is a darker reason for BG not playing.

http://www.fullcourt.com/lee-michael...-olympic-games

According to a spokesperson for USA Basketball Griner's mother, Sandra, is seriously ill, though the nature and severity of her illness were not known at this time.
I'd have to be pretty damn sick not to be able to watch my daughter accomplish something on the level of winning an NCAA championship. And given that practices start in May, it's completely understandable that Griner came to the conclusion that, whatever the illness is, now was not the time to be away.

Reaction Score
I'd have to be pretty damn sick not to be able to watch my daughter accomplish something on the level of winning an NCAA championship. And given that practices start in May, it's completely understandable that Griner came to the conclusion that, whatever the illness is, now was not the time to be away.

That is not good news. I remember when Rebecca Lobo's mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer she somehow managed to get to her daughter's games. For a mom to not be able to be there shows how serious this must be.

My prayers are with the Griner family with a few more thrown in for any dark soul who would think the reason for Brittany to pull out of the Olympics could be anything else.

Reaction Score
I think Baylor is just keeping her out of the OLY's because they don't want her to get hurt. She played every single game this year for Baylor......shoot, she hasn't missed a GAME for Baylor yet and her momma still been sick all this time.....why didn't she miss any BU games then? Forgive me if i come off as inconsiderate, I'm just saying tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom