Griner, Johnson suspended 7 games each | The Boneyard

Griner, Johnson suspended 7 games each

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does seem harsh, but the harshest penalties to date will have been meted out to Liberty players if Isiah Thomas "leads" and owns them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Harsh, but I think this is as much about a comparison to men's pro leagues than specifically to these two. If the general tenor in the country is domestic violence is bad and athletes in pro-leagues need to be severely punished for it, then the WNBA better be out front on it as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does seem a bit heavy, but I suppose it sends a message.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've said elsewhere in the board that I'm not sure the domestic violence lable is the best fit to this circumstance as it typically has an aggressor and victim where this seemed more like a brawl. Regardless, the WNBA punishment sent a clear messages for players to keep their crap out of the media spotlight.

If I'm handling the PR for these guys, I'd be setting up a mea culpa tour of benign interviewers and a series of public photo ops depicting them as a happy couple. The message being "yeah things got out of hand, pre-wedding stress, we're embarassed and it won't happen again."

Reaction Score
Good for the WNBA for taking such a tough stance. I'd like to see the other pro leagues do the same thing.

HGN

Reaction Score
I was waiting for the shoe to drop.............So I am not surprised. Domestic violence is DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. We are so use to seeing 'Male' abusers and female victims that we sometimes don't apply the same attitude when its a female abuser.

But DOMESTIC VIOLENCE is DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. And the WNBA should take a hard stance just like the other professional leagues.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Good for the WNBA for taking such a tough stance. I'd like to see the other pro leagues do the same thing.
it's also important if the WNBA is then considering taking the stance of rejecting the Liberty's boneheaded move. I hope it is the left jab to be followed by the right hook (yes, I know it's a really bad analogy given the circumstances)!

JUST SAY NO TO ISIAH. JUST SAY NO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Message sent. Maybe Phoenix will have a really bad record and draft Stewart.

I hope Griner and Johnson get the message and take it seriously and not laugh it off.

Reaction Score
The NBA suspended a Hornets player for a quarter of the season for accusations of domestic violence, so this seems in line with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was waiting for the shoe to drop...So I am not surprised. Domestic violence is DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. We are so use to seeing 'Male' abusers and female victims that we sometimes don't apply the same attitude when its a female abuser.

But DOMESTIC VIOLENCE is DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. And the WNBA should take a hard stance just like the other professional leagues.
Help me out here. Who was the abuser in this case Griner or Johnson.?

HGN

Reaction Score
BOTH.....That's why both were suspended the 7 games.

Reaction Score
Those two should join the Kardashians Family .....

Reaction Score
This. What we're seeing here is the WNBA kowtowing to a whole bunch of crocodile tears about female perpetrators of domestic violence. Female abusers exist and those situations should be taken very seriously, but there's no evidence to suggest that this is a pattern of abuse. Anyone pretending not to get the difference between the Griner-Johnson situation and Ray Rice knocking his much smaller wife unconscious are being disingenuous.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Those two should join the Kardashians Family .....

Hey, you might be on to something. A reality series! Goodness knows the world needs more of them. How about "Surreal Housewives of Phoenix" ?

Reaction Score
Hey, you might be on to something. A reality series! Goodness knows the world needs more of them. How about "Surreal Housewives of Phoenix" ?
I like your idea. How but change to "Two Surreal Housewives of Phoenix"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc