Greater Hartford Summer Pro-Am league leaving Hartford | The Boneyard

Greater Hartford Summer Pro-Am league leaving Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I graduated from the old one, but isn't the new one out in the outer East End? I've never been to the one in Hartford so I don't know if accessibility was an issue there.

Reaction Score
I haven't been back to Crosby since graduating but back when I was there it was a pretty niced gym, they did alot to make the bleachers comfortable too. That was about 10 years or so tho, so I have no idea what its like now.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I graduated from the old one, but isn't the new one out in the outer East End? I've never been to the one in Hartford so I don't know if accessibility was an issue there.
it was very accessible when it was at SMSA (Sports, Medical & Science Academy in Hartford) Fox Middle, Classical Magnet (close to each other) not so easy to navigate in and out of.

SMSA was the best location ever... newly built school, wood floors, A/C, it was perfect and attracted a lot of spectators which caused the capacity to overflow every night.

Hartford has a history of messing up a good thing!

Reaction Score
Sad news. The people of Hartford really loved this annual summer league. Many of them will be unable to attend the games now. The mix of players will change as well. I wonder if Springfield will still put together a team and whether UConn guys will be willing to make the longer drive on a regular basis.

I hope to still make a few games as I really enjoy this league. I just know that as a practical matter I will probably not make as many games with a 45 minute drive rather than the easy 10 minute drive I had before.

Reaction Score
The best thing about the Pro-Am was seeing the UConn guys play against the best local talent. I doubt these guys will play in it now other than maybe making an appearence or two. I think Hartford and the guys who run the league could have tried a little harder to keep it in the city. There are plenty of venues and i'm sure they could have found additional sponsors to cover the security costs. How often do you get to see Division 1 and NBA talent play in a highschool gym setting? It's too bad but mark this up as another loss for Hartford.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Nothing but a $$$$$$$ move. Hartford as usual.....

Reaction Score
I remember the early days with Ray, Camby, Vin Baker, et al. Always an entertaining event but hopefully it doesn't lose any steam in WTBY. I used to live there and other than maybe a quick stop at Nardelli's try to avoid it.

Reaction Score
I remember the early days with Ray, Camby, Vin Baker, et al. Always an entertaining event but hopefully it doesn't lose any steam in WTBY. I used to live there and other than maybe a quick stop at Nardelli's try to avoid it.

Nothing wrong with a stop @ Diorio's either!

Reaction Score
You guys do realize the Waterbury team won last year. Plenty of talent will be there, they wouldn't move it if they couldn't get the players there. It'll be a better atmosphere as well since Crosby holds I think around 3k.

Reaction Score
I believe Diorio's closed my friend. Was a good spot though!

Diorio's is alive and well.
Drescher's, the unique german pub also downtown, has closed. There's word however, that a new owner may emerge. We'll see.
An irish pub called The Shamrock opened downtown and is packed nearly every night. It's right near the interchange of I-84 and Route 8.
There's also a brand new Italian place out near Crosby called Tiramisu in a little plaza that I hear is good but have not yet been to.

Reaction Score
Zalimel post: 615025 said:
You guys do realize the Waterbury team won last year. Plenty of talent will be there, they wouldn't move it if they couldn't get the players there. It'll be a better atmosphere as well since Crosby holds I think around 3k.

They are likely to lose the New London and Springfield teams and possibly the UConn guys and some of the Hartford guys. I would bet my left nut that there will be a decrease in the overall talent this summer.

I do give Pete Higgins a ton of credit though. He already put in countless hours. Now he will be adding a ride to Waterbury on top of it all.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dont see any "backsliding"... I see negotiating to bring it back to Hartford.

a portable hardwood floor seems like a cure for most of this problem

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The best thing about the Pro-Am was seeing the UConn guys play against the best local talent. I doubt these guys will play in it now other than maybe making an appearence or two. I think Hartford and the guys who run the league could have tried a little harder to keep it in the city. There are plenty of venues and i'm sure they could have found additional sponsors to cover the security costs. How often do you get to see Division 1 and NBA talent play in a highschool gym setting? It's too bad but mark this up as another loss for Hartford.
all bigger venues (high schools in Hartford have rubber floors, less maintenance) and the elite players refuse to play on rubber because it causes leg injuries. Middle Schools have wood floors but capacity becomes an issue.

Reaction Score
I like the city of Waterbury but the pro-am always belongs in Hartford, this is a great thing for the community and has been for a while.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I dont see any "backsliding"... I see negotiating to bring it back to Hartford.

a portable hardwood floor seems like a cure for most of this problem

What about the Armory? KO won a championship on that floor!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
that would be great... is that where the HellCats played?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
that would be great... is that where the HellCats played?

I'm not sure, they were the Connecticut Pride when I went to a couple of games. I know the HellCats played in the Civic Center. They might have moved after the initial rush died down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom