Great Story About 1st Chinese WCBB Player: Cal's 6'7" Chen Yue | The Boneyard

Great Story About 1st Chinese WCBB Player: Cal's 6'7" Chen Yue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Guardian. It recounts how she was selected by an NBA exec for an event in China, the only girl selected for the final team out of a pool that included 78 boys a 1 other girl.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...n-from-chinas-american-dream?CMP=share_btn_tw

Chen Yue is a bit of a project, and suffered a small fracture in her foot so having only played 8 games, this will be a redshirt year for her. Which is wonderful, b/c as mentioned she is still developing and learning the game.

Despite not having perfect English, she has a perfect 4.0 GPA...at Cal-Berkeley, one of the best public universities in the country.

I love learning about the amazing stories and experiences that women's basketball makes possible for girls. Cal is having an awful season, but I appreciate this story so much.

I've only seen glimpses of her play, but she's a legit 6'7", not too thin nor too wide, not exceptionally athletic but adequate mobility, and has soft hands. She is not the next Griner, or Liz Cambage, or Sylvia Fowles, etc. But I hope and have some confidence she will steadily improve and make an impact eventually at Cal.

I'm hoping she can develop into a caliber of player close to that of Ruth Hamblin (Oregon State). Hamblin was a 6'6" unknown from Canada who only averaged 4.4 ppg & 2.9 rpg as a freshman but has really flourished and is expected to be a late 1st round or 2nd round WNBA draft pick this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom