Great Rebecca Lobo Tweet | The Boneyard

Great Rebecca Lobo Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Had to send an application to coach my daughter's 3rd-grade bball team next year. Under "references" I put Geno Auriemma & Pat Summitt." :)

Like she really needed references....If I got her application, I don't think I would be able to resist calling up Geno and asking whether he thinks she could do it.

Also, I finally watched the U18 game USA vs. Brazil that is still available at ESPN3.com. I don't remember who the play by play caller was who was teamed with Rebecca, but he clearly didn't have a lot of knowledge about Rebecca or WBB. Some if his notable (and cringeworthy) comments:

"Rebecca, do you have a twitter account?"

After talking about Rebecca's USA basketball experience and being a part of the 1996 Gold Medal team, he started discussing the psychology of a player not starting and coming off the bench. At that point he said something like "Of course, Rebecca, coming off the bench is something you wouldn't know anything about". Rebecca was very gracious in talking about how a player needs to be always ready. However she probably felt like saying something stronger. Her issues with Tara Vanderveer during the 1996 Olympics are certainly well known. Here is a Jeff Jacobs article that talks about it: http://articles.courant.com/1996-07-19/sports/9607190865_1_rebecca-lobo-tara-vanderveer-attention. After her injuries, she was never quite the same player and didn't start at Houston nor at the CT Sun during her final years of the WNBA.

Finally, his comment about the headlines in tommorow's paper saying "Brazillians Waxed" was probably best not said at a U18 game.

I have to believe ESPN could do better.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
....If I got her application, I don't think I would be able to resist calling up Geno and asking whether he thinks she could do it.

Yes!! I would have tried to fake like I didn't know anything about the situation, like maybe pronounce Geno's last name wrong...(I would have been scolded in two different languages, but it would have been fun).

Reaction Score
espn probably told him to ask her if she had a twitter account, i think he asked her in the 17's game too

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Siobhan is a 3rd grader! Ok, when do we start the thread on class of 2021 recruiting?

Reaction Score
Hilarious!!! I would love to see the look on the person's face who picks up that application.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Siobhan is a 3rd grader! Ok, when do we start the thread on class of 2021 recruiting?
Isn't she the one who already signed up, on the hood of her car?
Barbie car.jpg

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
For those that may have not been around when the Boneyard Magazine was published, here's the cover story from the January 05' edition....I hope this doesn't start yet another investigation.....

lobo_signed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01