OT: - Grandpa and two Granddaughters Day Trips | The Boneyard

OT: Grandpa and two Granddaughters Day Trips

Reaction Score
I'm blessed to have four granddaughters. Their ages are 8, 6, 4 and 2. Last year, I took one of my vacation weeks and did day trips with Devan and Zara my two eldest. We went to the Bronx Zoo; the Maritime Center; a bunch of parks with playgrounds and an indoor play center. It was a lot of fun. I live in Waterbury so I'm centrally located in Connecticut. I have not been to that zoo my two children were my granddaughters ages. Maybe I picked the wrong day but many animal exhibits were closed. That sort of took the fun out of the day. But we made the best out of a long day. I'm planning this years day trips now and would like some input. Both girls love animals so I was thinking about the Roger Williams Zoo in Rhode Island. Looking online it seems like a nice place to spend the day. Has anyone gone here before? Two other places which are on my mind is the Boston Aquarium. Again, I have not been there in ions. Still have to check and see if their location is off of the Mass Pike and if Parking is Available. They both have been to Mystic Aquarium and that is always a good standby. Googling the other day I saw that Lego Land has a location not far into New York on I-84. That may be another destination. They like parks so this would be something different other than Quassey or Lake Compounce. I'm sure that Many of you do the same thing with your kids or grandkids. Can you suggest a few places that you visited, were fun and safe? Many thanks...

Reaction Score
I think the older girls would really enjoy the newly renovated Peabody Museum at Yale. Check the website to see all that it offers. Admission is now free.

Reaction Score
The New England Aquarium is nice but no onsite parking. You either park in a lot maybe 1/4 mile away or take the T like we have done. The Museum of Science has an onsite parking garage And Down the street within a 5 min walk is the Cheescake factory.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Mystic Seaport and Sturbridge Village are good ways to sneak in some history lessons while the kids have fun.

Roaring Brook in Canton is a good place on a hot day

Good ol’ Quassey is an option.

There’s a llama petting zoo in Cheshire (Connecticut Alpaca and Tree Farm)

Lutz Children’s Museum in Manchester, the Science’s Center in Hartford, and the West Hartford Children’s Museum are hands-on experiences for kids. Kidcity in Middletown is a zoo, with uncontrolled children running loose. Maybe it’s changed since I was there last but I don’t recommend it

If you really get stuck and it’s a hot day, go to a McDonald’s with one of those big inside playscapes/ball pits. Outside playscapes are ok if shaded but I’ve seen kids get burned on sun-baked slides. Bring LOTS of water, too

Check out local libraries. The children’s rooms often have interesting and fun things to do.

The Air Museum in Windsor Locks is neat.

Never been here, but it looks fun PEZ Visitor Center - Hours and Location

I think there’s a steam train museum in Waterbury. We took our kids there and they were allowed to enter the cars, etc. Not sure if this is the same thing? Looks different Railroad Museum of New England

Ah, this is bringing back the old days of being home with my boys

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I took my two oldest grandsons to the Roger Williams Zoo two years ago and had a great time. It's very clean and the boys really enjoyed it. I may go back there this summer. Stay away from the Bridgeport Zoo, dirty and the boys, as well as granddad, did not enjoy that trip.

Reaction Score
The New England Aquarium is nice but no onsite parking. You either park in a lot maybe 1/4 mile away or take the T like we have done. The Museum of Science has an onsite parking garage And Down the street within a 5 min walk is the Cheescake factory.
Thank you for the tip on no parking. Even though it’s a short distance to walk I would rather go somewhere where I don’t need to do that. But, it’s something I would do on my own

Reaction Score
I took my two oldest grandsons to the Roger Williams Zoo two years ago and had a great time. It's very clean and the boys really enjoyed it. I may go back there this summer. Stay away from the Bridgeport Zoo, dirty and the boys, as well as granddad, did not enjoy that trip.
Took Devan to Beardsley three years ago. I wasn’t impressed either.

Reaction Score
Mystic Seaport and Sturbridge Village are good ways to sneak in some history lessons while the kids have fun.

Roaring Brook in Canton is a good place on a hot day

Good ol’ Quassey is an option.

There’s a llama petting zoo in Cheshire (Connecticut Alpaca and Tree Farm)

Lutz Children’s Museum in Manchester, the Science’s Center in Hartford, and the West Hartford Children’s Museum are hands-on experiences for kids. Kidcity in Middletown is a zoo, with uncontrolled children running loose. Maybe it’s changed since I was there last but I don’t recommend it

If you really get stuck and it’s a hot day, go to a McDonald’s with one of those big inside playscapes/ball pits. Outside playscapes are ok if shaded but I’ve seen kids get burned on sun-baked slides. Bring LOTS of water, too

Check out local libraries. The children’s rooms often have interesting and fun things to do.

The Air Museum in Windsor Locks is neat.

Never been here, but it looks fun PEZ Visitor Center - Hours and Location

I think there’s a steam train museum in Waterbury. We took our kids there and they were allowed to enter the cars, etc. Not sure if this is the same thing? Looks different Railroad Museum of New England

Ah, this is bringing back the old days of being home with my boys
Lots of local places. Can’t go wrong with a PEZ.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lots of local places. Can’t go wrong with a PEZ.
We lived in Cheshire for 10 years :)

Reaction Score
I'm blessed to have four granddaughters. Their ages are 8, 6, 4 and 2. Last year, I took one of my vacation weeks and did day trips with Devan and Zara my two eldest. We went to the Bronx Zoo; the Maritime Center; a bunch of parks with playgrounds and an indoor play center. It was a lot of fun. I live in Waterbury so I'm centrally located in Connecticut. I have not been to that zoo my two children were my granddaughters ages. Maybe I picked the wrong day but many animal exhibits were closed. That sort of took the fun out of the day. But we made the best out of a long day. I'm planning this years day trips now and would like some input. Both girls love animals so I was thinking about the Roger Williams Zoo in Rhode Island. Looking online it seems like a nice place to spend the day. Has anyone gone here before? Two other places which are on my mind is the Boston Aquarium. Again, I have not been there in ions. Still have to check and see if their location is off of the Mass Pike and if Parking is Available. They both have been to Mystic Aquarium and that is always a good standby. Googling the other day I saw that Lego Land has a location not far into New York on I-84. That may be another destination. They like parks so this would be something different other than Quassey or Lake Compounce. I'm sure that Many of you do the same thing with your kids or grandkids. Can you suggest a few places that you visited, were fun and safe? Many thanks...
Boston Aquarium will be a let down if you've been to Mystic Aquarium'

Reaction Score
Wow; would have never of thought that. Wish that Baltimore was closer. Their aquarium is really nice.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods.

Small children make excellent pickpockets- you will clean up.

Legoland is about 90 minutes from you. An overnight trip there would not be the worst thing.

Reaction Score
I disagree with you on that. I think the aquariums are pretty equal with the New England Aquarium have a bigger indoor space and central tank. The big plus is you have a lot to do for the day in Boston. You can walk the freedom trail, do a duck boat tour and enjoy the Boston Common.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two other places which are on my mind is the Boston Aquarium. Again, I have not been there in ions
Then you should go. They will be sure to get a charge out of it.

If you're willing to head up to Boston, how about the Constitution and doing the Freedom Trail?

It's a little bit of a drive for you, about 2 1/2 hours but have you considered the Crayola Factory in Allentown? My kids enjoyed that when they were young. That's good for maybe three or four hours. If you want to maximize the drive time there then you could add a Canal boat ride at the National Canal Museum that's nearby.

Reaction Score
I disagree with you on that. I think the aquariums are pretty equal with the New England Aquarium have a bigger indoor space and central tank. The big plus is you have a lot to do for the day in Boston. You can walk the freedom trail, do a duck boat tour and enjoy the Boston Common.
Mystic better for kids I feel, because of the outdoor park aspect. Have often seen Mystic listed within the top 10 Aquarium lists, not so for New England.

Reaction Score
All great suggestions.

Nothing to add except your granddaughters have a very thoughtful and loving grandpa. Here's a high five. You are creating memories for them that will last a lifetime.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My adult son is visiting so I asked what he remembered from his childhood.

Going to Lyman Orchards. They do events for kids there.

Pick blueberries in June - even the little one can do it but be sure she doesn’t eat too many.

The swimming hole and falls at Wadsworth Falls State Park in Middlebury.

Any of the million small church festivals - for little ones, it’s better (less intimidating) than Disney World. When they’re little, kids can get overexcited/overstimulated so a church festival is perfect.

Reaction Score
Remember it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. My grandkids are all grown now but some of the things they remember most were the times we went berry picking in the summer and apple picking in the fall at some of the great family farms we have in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
All great suggestions.

Nothing to add except your granddaughters have a very thoughtful and loving grandpa. Here's a high five. You are creating memories for them that will last a lifetime.
That is very nice and thank you. Yes, doing things with my eldest granddaughters is so special. Soon my four year old will take part as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom