Gordon Sammis Named OC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gordon Sammis Named OC

Reaction Score
I’m going to take a wait and see approach, I really liked him as our OL Coach, and now let’s see what he does as OC. I have confidence in Mora’s judgment.
^^^^ this. OL was a bright spot, and I trust JM made the best move he could. Now that we have a DC, he can help out with the O.

Reaction Score
UConn memory lane on an OL coach as OC....take a top local NFL caliber QB ...go with a trick shot youtube sensation... this is one example among UConn's many incredible track record blunders...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I mean I'm as disappointed as anyone here, but I doubt there was much available out there and this at least keeps things some what consistent on offense. This close to spring practice I doubt bringing in an OC to completely overhaul the offense at this point in time was probably unrealistic. I wish Sammis the best and hopefully he surpises us like John Dunn did.
If this is what really happened, which I know you are just hypothesizing, then we are really in trouble. Anytime you hire someone because there's nothing else available, it never ends well. That reality, the we just settled in Sammis, is the biggest concern I have on this whole hire. It just seems like an internal promotion because trying to find a real OC was too hard to do with Spring practice starting in 2 weeks.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
it would be great if Mora would do an interview at the start of spring practide where he reveals his offensive strategy with Sammis as OC.

When I have heard Mora talk about offense in the past...he talks a good game. And throughout the year last year, he sounded just as frustrated as the fans with the offense..which is why i wasnt surprised Charlton is gone.

Now he needs to give the fans a reason to believe that Sammis is the right guy to make this offense respectable.

Reaction Score
I have a lot more faith in Sammis than I did Guifre. There are many OC/OL coaches in the P5. Ryan Grub was an OL coach. If you have good to great position coaches which we did not have last time, things will be ok. Nail this QB coach hire and Sammis will be ok. If he can scheme his line to give the protection the QB needs it's all good. Those that are poopooing this move are suffering PTSD from Guifre instead of looking at history league wide.
We're going from a guy with a good scheme who couldn't call plays to save his life to a guy who, even if has great concepts and a great philosophy, has never called plays.

Reaction Score
Ryan Grubb, Jeff Grimes, and Alex Atkins were all OL/OC coaches. Every situation is different. I give everyone permission to be cautiously optimistic.

And if Mora can manage to hire a QB/PGC that most people like, then y'all can be full blown optimistic.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
A) Not that it's close to ideal but I imagine Sammus will be OC/OL coach. We only have one open spot on the staff.

B) I'm not claiming that he will or will not open up the passing game but before anyone completely dismisses the idea that he may want a more wide open offense, due to his being an OLine coach, keep in mind that Andy Reid started as an offensive line coach.
So did Gioffrey.

Reaction Score
Think we’re well past giving the UConn admin the benefit of the doubt when it comes to football in the past 12 years.

Show us competence. Support will follow. But Blind Faith at this point is a just a pretty good 60s band and not where this fan base is

Reaction Score
Guessing Gordon just saw the want ad and thought it might be fun? :confused:

Peter.jpg

Reaction Score
UConn football is a snail, crawling along the edge of a staight razor........and surviving.

Reaction Score
there are 3 coaches that UConn can not lose.
McDonald the pitching coach.
Kimani the MBB #2 guy.
And the #1 guy is Sammis!!!!
Whatever it takes to keep Sammis, we need to do.
Our OL was at an elite level.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Our new OC is a successful, relatively young (40?) coach on the offensive side of the ball his entire career. I too would prefer a proven OC, but you Sally's that are dumping on the guy before he ever calls a play should be embarrassed. He could be a genius...or maybe not, but give him a chance before you become arm chair OCs. You guys know the O-line does more than just run block, right?

Reaction Score
Our new OC is a successful, relatively young (40?) coach on the offensive side of the ball his entire career. I too would prefer a proven OC, but you Sally's that are dumping on the guy before he ever calls a play should be embarrassed. He could be a genius...or maybe not, but give him a chance before you become arm chair OCs. You guys know the O-line does more than just run block, right?
I kind of agree with this. But they need to start winning now and can’t afford another swing and miss. My interest in the game has taken a hit over the last year. NIL and seemingly endless transfers has taken some of the fun away. What once would have been a horror (shutting it down) would now just be a shrug. But remember this:
  • Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Reaction Score
Yea back when football ran like it was 1985 ..... Football has changed. This is going to be torture run right, run left, lateral pass to watch this year. Only the most loyal UConn football fans who don't dare challenge the system would find an upside in losing an awful OC to get an unproven OL coach AGAIN as its OC.
Maybe Sammis is a coach for the “next millennium”. Let’s hope, but that isn’t the point. OL coaches tend to have a good overview. Hopefully his offensives philosophy is what we need.

Reaction Score
UConn memory lane on an OL coach as OC....take a top local NFL caliber QB ...go with a trick shot youtube sensation... this is one example among UConn's many incredible track record blunders...
What?

Reaction Score
I’m going to take a wait and see approach, I really liked him as our OL Coach, and now let’s see what he does as OC. I have confidence in Mora’s judgment.
I like what Mora is doing here, Sammis is very knowledgeable and pragmatic, so I don’t think we’ll see a Fagnano type as quarterback.

Reaction Score
……..and you’re posting this why??? I hope you don’t think Mora has the same football IQ as the idiot’s of the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom