Goodrich Starting Ahead of Diggins | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goodrich Starting Ahead of Diggins

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree that Skylar did not shoot well in the games against top opponents last season, but she must have done something right as Notre Dame beat UConn 3 out of 4 times last year and the Irish went 30-2 on the season. If Skylar was not a significant part of the reason they were so successful, then look out this season, because everyone is more experienced and Reimer and Allen join the team.
Of course she was a significant part of the reason they were so successful. She was the leading scorer and assist leader. She was the emotional leader. Not sure why you think anyone is saying anything different.

In spite of her bad shooting and high TO's against Baylor and Uconn, she was able to contribute to help ND win three of those games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree that Skylar did not shoot well in the games against top opponents last season, but she must have done something right as Notre Dame beat UConn 3 out of 4 times last year and the Irish went 30-2 on the season. If Skylar was not a significant part of the reason they were so successful, then look out this season, because everyone is more experienced and Reimer and Allen join the team.
Most of the losses were specific breakdowns by UCONN in execution not great play by SD.

Reaction Score

Skylar was part of the reason but not the main reason. This year, Mcbride killed us and Novasel did same last year. Those two did more damage than Diggins.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Diggins was a threat that needed to be guarded... which left others to produce. Skylar did her job... still has us talking about her!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Diggins was a threat that needed to be guarded... which left others to produce. Skylar did her job... still has us talking about her!

No doubt. As I said, her presence made a difference.

Yep, still talking about her. [mod edit:]

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Of course people will talk about her! She was one of the most heavily hyped players coming out of college EVER. The WNBA equivalent of James, Wade, and Bosch ending up at Miami. Probably the biggest WNBA story ever since there were 3 guaranteed superstars coming out of college who were destined to reinvigorate the WNBA and change its' landscape.

EDD has surpassed expectations. Griner has been solid but unspectacular. Diggins has all but disappeared. She lost her starting spot to another rookie - 5'4" Goodrich. Her PPG average has dropped to below 8 and she's now 4th in the rookie scoring behind Bentley. In her last game she played only 12 minutes, had 0 points, 2 assists and 3 boards.

And if you take into consideration the # of minutes she's played, her Minutes Per Game production is around the level of Bone, Hill, Ruffin-Pratt, and Messeman. Goodrich is the 9th leading scorer of rookies, and it's not out of the realm of reasonableness to say that Diggins is barely one of the best 10 rookies in the league. She's been a colossal disappointment no matter how you slice it. And there are no excuses or reasons that make any sense. The fact is she's struggling big time and given how much she was hyped coming out of college as a sure fire can't miss player, Tulsa has to be scratching their collective heads.

I hope Skyler succeeds in the WNBA. She earned a great deal more of my respect after hearing her comments regarding Griner's coming out. I hope she has a long and successful career. But to pretend that this story isn't news is a bit "ostrich in the sand".

And given how her team dominated UCONN for such a long stretch makes many UCONN fans that much more interested in her career, good, bad or otherwise. Her team practically owned UCONN the last 2 years of her college career. She was a great story in college. This year, basketball has passed her by...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, not really DC. Not as a shooter. Keep pressure on her at all and she struggles. She is good not great. 3 to See sold her as great. ESPN overly focused on selecting 3 seniors when there were numerous underclasswomen who would have been better choices.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Skylar was part of the reason but not the main reason. This year, Mcbride killed us and Novasel did same last year. Those two did more damage than Diggins.

I don't agree. Diggins was the biggest reason ND dominated UConn for almost 2 years. She controlled ND's offense, made plays to get her teammates shots, made big shots/plays that won games and, perhaps most importantly, made her teammates believe they would win. In the FF semifinal we didn't see that Diggins. UConn kept Diggins out of the middle of the floor and forced her into uncharacteristic mistakes. Her entire on-court persona was different. She was not the confident player we were accustomed to seeing and I'm not sure whether it was the pressure of the moment, the pressure of UConn's defense or for the first time in 2 years she was looking in to the eyes of a very confident UConn team; I suspect it was all of the above. Without their confident leader, we saw a much different Achonwa (couldn't hold on to the ball), a much different McBride (tried to be a hero and took bad shot after bad shot) and a less confident-looking coach (McGraw looked concerned early on and dazed at the end).

Reaction Score
I don't agree. Diggins was the biggest reason ND dominated UConn for almost 2 years. She controlled ND's offense, made plays to get her teammates shots, made big shots/plays that won games and, perhaps most importantly, made her teammates believe they would win. In the FF semifinal we didn't see that Diggins. UConn kept Diggins out of the middle of the floor and forced her into uncharacteristic mistakes. Her entire on-court persona was different. She was not the confident player we were accustomed to seeing and I'm not sure whether it was the pressure of the moment, the pressure of UConn's defense or for the first time in 2 years she was looking in to the eyes of a very confident UConn team; I suspect it was all of the above. Without their confident leader, we saw a much different Achonwa (couldn't hold on to the ball), a much different McBride (tried to be a hero and took bad shot after bad shot) and a less confident-looking coach (McGraw looked concerned early on and dazed at the end).

Yep. The stats will show the biggest reason ND beat (not dominated, dominated means you stomp the other team by 18+)) UConn.

UConn 1 - 4-15, 2-4(3pt), 5 assist, 7 turnover
UConn 2 - 11-31, 0-5(3pt), 3 assist, 8 turnover
UConn 3 - 5-15, 0-2(3pt), 6 assist, 5 turnover
UConn 4 - 3-15, 0-3(3pt), 8 assist, 6 turnover

Reaction Score
Yep. The stats will show the biggest reason ND beat (not dominated, dominated means you stomp the other team by 18+)) UConn.

Poo poo to you Goodgood...I would expect this kind of "logic" to be used on The Summitt but not in this superior-being forum. For pete's sake there is more to the game than the offensive side of the ball -- which is all the LV's can pride their self on anymore, and that is a reach too since they don't actually run any offensive sets. Diggins may have been inconsistent at times shooting the ball, but she had a knack for making things happen on BOTH ends of the court, and had an incredible desire to succeed that helped will her team to wins. The best example of this was the Huskies last visit to ND (3 OT's). ND was dead in the water down 7 points, WITHOUT McBride with just around two minutes remaining. There is no way in heck the Huskies should have lost this game given this situation...but somehow, Diggins found a way to win her final game ever at ND.

UConnCat (a distance relative of mine I believe) was right on with his/her assessment:

She (Diggins) controlled ND's offense, made plays to get her teammates shots, made big shots/plays that won games and, perhaps most importantly, made her teammates believe they would win.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I hope she does the same as a pro or it could be a very short career.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I knew someone would mention my use of the word "dominate." I wasn't talking scoreboard or statistics; I'm talking confidence, belief that her team would win and controlling the game. Diggins was ND's most important player and she instilled confidence in her teammates. She didn't need to dominate statistically in order to dominate the game. She made big plays in big moments to win games and it didn't matter if she had already turned the ball over several times or missed more shots than she made. As Geno often says, it's not how many, it's when. That's what winners do. Geno: "That's what All-American guards do," Geno Auriemma said. "I've had a couple in my lifetime. They make plays. They make them when they need to be made. That's what makes them who they are."

She was the most important player on a ND team that defeated UConn 7 out of 8 games before last season's Final Four.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I knew someone would mention my use of the word "dominate." I wasn't talking scoreboard or statistics; I'm talking confidence, belief that her team would win and controlling the game. Diggins was ND's most important player and she instilled confidence in her teammates. She didn't need to dominate statistically in order to dominate the game. She made big plays in big moments to win games and it didn't matter if she had already turned the ball over several times or missed more shots than she made. As Geno often says, it's not how many, it's when. That's what winners do. Geno: "That's what All-American guards do," Geno Auriemma said. "I've had a couple in my lifetime. They make plays. They make them when they need to be made. That's what makes them who they are."

She was the most important player on a ND team that defeated UConn 7 out of 8 games before last season's Final Four.

Spot-on!

There can be no question about Skylar's skill and leadership at ND, highlighted by her frequent success vs. UConn. She is an excellent player but so far has not been as successful as many expected her to be in her heavily hyped rookie season in the WNBA.

While I acknowledge her skill and leadership (again, in case anybody missed it), there are two traits that have not endeared her to non-ND fans, especially the ones here (on this board and in this state).

Her on-court mannerisms, including both her emotional outbursts and the persistent attention to her hairband, were often caught on-camera and became difficult to digest as ND pulled out victory after victory.

She also is inclined (excessively, even obnoxiously, to some) to self-promotion. It started when she committed to ND (big press conference, flashy display of her ND jersey, etc.) and continued at ND through her reference to "my fans" and public discussion of her twitter account.

These side issues do not detract from her quality as a player or a person, but they have fueled much of the discussion here.

There are two reasons she got drafted highly: she is good and the Tulsa team was bad. Not a good recipe for success by a small guard. I hope she improves and I expect she will. I wish her well, but I confess that I am glad she is no longer around to torment us UConn fans.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

She was mentally dominant when things went her way not so much when they didn't. She like Prahalis is given to pouting. Her biggest asset was her ability to draw fouls often through terrible calls and converting at the foul line.

She never won a state title in basketball, she never won a NC in college, she won 1 Big East tourney title. She is not dominant. She IS a marketable image.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How do you go into a National Championship game against a team you beat 3 times and play as bad as she played? Maybe I should say shoot as bad as she shot. Skyler Diggins is obviously a pretty good player, but it ends there. Over rated IMO. It would help if she could lose that sense of entitlement/chip on shoulder thing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No, not really DC. Not as a shooter. Keep pressure on her at all and she struggles. She is good not great. 3 to See sold her as great. ESPN overly focused on selecting 3 seniors when there were numerous underclasswomen who would have been better choices.
what ESPN did isnt Skylar's fault. too bad she's getting all the flack for it

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
what ESPN did isnt Skylar's fault. too bad she's getting all the flack for it
No, but she certainly played it up on Twitter and numerous other media formats and bought into the ESPN deal.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Five words sum up much of this entire thread: "post hoc ergo propter hoc."

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Perhaps what I am going to say is unsportsmanlike.
Maybe it's petty
It may run contrary to the way we are supposed to comport ourselves on the boneyard, but...
I am happy that Skylar is performing poorly.
Her attitude, ego and showmanship throughout her career and the way she rubbed ND's win in UConn's face were disturbing.
Her non-playing actions made me dislike her.
I hope she continues down her current path.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Skylar's early years she had a a team that was also built to win a NC. Her soph/jr yr IMO N Dame was the team with Baylor. They had talent depth and experience at every position. She is a terrific player obviously. But she is no game changer as a point guard! And as a 2 guard, she is not a great shooter. And without superior talent on the floor like she had in college, she looks like a mere mortal. I bet Odyssey Sims could replace Skylar right now and improve that team significantly. I want Skylar to succeed to help W B Ball! All her twitteree's are important to the game! She is just not my cup of tea. But she will have a long and great career I would think. I don't think it will be prolific. As always, I could be wrong!

Reaction Score
In those twelve games her 2 point shooting is around the same, her scoring is down, her assits are down and her TO's are up.

You made several excuses, including the 3 point line, the fatigue factor, the teammate factor.

I expect her to improve, but there is no need to sugarcoat her performance to date.

Feel free to point out where I mentioned anything about fatigue.

Reaction Score
And I don't believe Montgomery was ever one of the 3toC, or anything like that.

Oh please. There were plenty of fools who thought she should have been selected first overall in 2009, ahead of Angel McCoughtry. She's not the second, third, or even fourth best player from that class.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Oh please. There were plenty of fools who thought she should have been selected first overall in 2009, ahead of Angel McCoughtry. She's not the second, third, or even fourth best player from that class.
Not too many around here ever said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom