Goodbye SNY, Hello WFSB? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goodbye SNY, Hello WFSB?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I knew a Season ticket holder who had seats right behind where Geno sits about 6-8 rows up pre 95. within in 2 years he was pushed up to the upper bowl and end line side of the corner. donating and paying a whole lot more then before. He stopped buying season tickets because the donation he had to make yearly just kept increasing to where he couldn't afford it. I'm retired ,on social security, a single season ticket is so far out of the realm of possibility for me that TV and the replays that get posted are all I have. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of us here in the same boat........
Uh oh.....I forgot those "personal seat licenses" (PSL). I'd buy season seats for one season just for the experience of sitting close to the floor. Then it would the upper bowl for me. Those escalating costs of PSL's and other ancillary fees will force you to relocate. The last time I had season tickets for anything was for the LA Raiders (at the LA Coliseum) when they moved to LA for 10 years. It was an excellent bonding opportunity with my then 10-year-old son.

The guy that came up with the idea of charging airline passengers for their bags is probably the same guy that came up with the PSL concept, too. :mad: Everything keeps going up. That cold roast beef sandwich that I paid $11.18 for just a year ago cost me $14.75 yesterday at our local deli. I told the lady that waited on me that I bet the next time I come in to get this sandwich, it will probably be $15.00. :eek:
I like their food, but I don't think I'll be going back there anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I live in Los Angeles and each basketball season I purchase a Sports Pak from DirectTV that includes SNY. I only discovered this opportunity a few years ago and have been thrilled to watch all the Huskies games each year since. I will be sorely disappointed if somehow SNY loses their package to broadcast Husky games this year. C'mon! This is the year we are finally going to put it all together and win the NC, right?! Please UConn and SNY, don't take this joy away from me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I live in Los Angeles and each basketball season I purchase a Sports Pak from DirectTV that includes SNY. I only discovered this opportunity a few years ago and have been thrilled to watch all the Huskies games each year since. I will be sorely disappointed if somehow SNY loses their package to broadcast Husky games this year. C'mon! This is the year we are finally going to put it all together and win the NC, right?! Please UConn and SNY, don't take this joy away from me.
I have DirecTV also. I was also purchasing the sports-pak for 4 months. Then I found out that Fox Sports also televises games that SNY does. I still got to see all the games without buying the sports-pak. That’s the Fox sports app, not Fox Sports 1.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Lets remember one important thing. WFSB is a main CBS station who is required to carry CBS shows. No way will CBS allow WFSB to not show their own programs to show UConn basketball. They are a national network, not independent like CPTV, or the CW, or a sports station like SNY. There is no way in hell that they can take over the SNY package.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hi DaddyChoc. Where ya been? :) Any direction. Right now, I'm 3,000 miles away. A 30-minute drive can't be more than 40 miles (in light traffic).
I been around… injuries (of players) have kept me away. 30 minutes north or east of Storrs would have you in Mass or Rhode Island

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I knew a Season ticket holder who had seats right behind where Geno sits about 6-8 rows up pre 95. within in 2 years he was pushed up to the upper bowl and end line side of the corner. donating and paying a whole lot more then before. He stopped buying season tickets because the donation he had to make yearly just kept increasing to where he couldn't afford it
You can think this guy for that:

1690743590748.jpeg

Instead of valuing and rewarding the teams most loyal "customers," Jeff Hathaway systematically disenfranchised them in favor of new and transitory money. That is a foolish short term strategy.

Reaction Score
Note the comment about Men's and Women's Basketball!

"UConn men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey, softball, and several coaches’ shows were said to be in the works."

I’m not sure if it means good by to SNY. I didn’t read that in the posted clip. WFSB has a number of channels now; one of several new ones is this sports channel. The call it ‘The Wax”. Thus far they have been showing old ACC Basketball games, ACC & SEC Football games, UFC, Professional Wrestling, shows about restoring old cars & trucks, and when WFSB has an event, like Golf, that goes long, they will show the news on the channel. All of these channels are available over-the-air. So, if your cable company doesn’t have it, you could probably hook up a digital antenna and scan your TV on the antenna and you’ll probably get it, along with many other stations that you may or may not have known were out there.

Reaction Score
You can think this guy for that:

View attachment 90203
Instead of valuing and rewarding the teams most loyal "customers," Jeff Hathaway systematically disenfranchised them in favor of new and transitory money. That is a foolish short term strategy.
A lot of those low level seats remain vacant during games. I i sit in those seats and there are very strict in prohibiting people from moving down and filling them up after halftime.

Reaction Score
SNY has a sub-licensing agreement with Fox Sports for up to 18 games a season. It was signed 3+ years ago for unspecified "Multi-Year".

See this article: SNY reaches agreement with Fox Sports to broadcast select UConn women’s basketball games.

Fox Sports has the main Big East TV Women's Basketball licensing agreement.

In their broadcasted announcement, WFSB said "this agreement will not affect the games and shows that you see in other media outlets. Our deal is in addition to those." They also showed an in-game clip of Aaliyah Edwards making a basket.

WFSB also said "UConn men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey, softball, and several coaches’ shows were said to be in the works."

Clearly WFSB has something in development for Uconn's women's basketball. It seems to me that they will eventually be picking up SNY's "up to 18 games" sub-licensing from Fox Sports., which has been in place for 3 seasons. Otherwise they wouldn't be calling out Uconn Women's basketball in their announcements. Obvioulsy we won't know for sure until a formal announcement is made.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
SNY has a sub-licensing agreement with Fox Sports for up to 18 games a season. It was signed 3+ years ago for unspecified "Multi-Year".

See this article: SNY reaches agreement with Fox Sports to broadcast select UConn women’s basketball games.

Fox Sports has the main Big East TV Women's Basketball licensing agreement.

In their broadcasted announcement, WFSB said "this agreement will not affect the games and shows that you see in other media outlets. Our deal is in addition to those." They also showed an in-game clip of Aaliyah Edwards making a basket.

WFSB also said "UConn men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey, softball, and several coaches’ shows were said to be in the works."

Clearly WFSB has something in development for Uconn's women's basketball. It seems to me that they will eventually be picking up SNY's "up to 18 games" sub-licensing from Fox Sports., which has been in place for 3 seasons. Otherwise they wouldn't be calling out Uconn Women's basketball in their announcements. Obvioulsy we won't know for sure until a formal announcement is made.
I have not seen any mention of Uconn Women's Basketball in connection with WFSB. Where did you read this? I correct my post. Several articles do say "women's basketball", and others do not.

Last edited:

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Note the comment about Men's and Women's Basketball!

"UConn men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey, softball, and several coaches’ shows were said to be in the works."

I did not see a mention of Women's Basketball in the article? See above post.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Glad you’re back. :cool: I know what you mean. I’m still very upset about Jana. :mad:
Yeah that’s horrible… just when you think the gel was gellin’

Reaction Score
So is there any update to this thread as of today? When I cut the cord with xfinity after going with frontier fiber, I was thrilled to be paying less for internet and being able to get the programming I wanted from YouTube tv. I even liked the fact that you could customize each user profile to see only the specific channels you want and in your specific order. And they had SNY. I have spent the last few months trying to figure out how I could still see the girls play.

I tried HULU for a couple of weeks, but the interface is so bad, and they just announced a price increase to over $80, that I dropped them, even though they had SNY.

I tried the “247 IPTV” app that some friends use when they’re not in CT to watch UConn women. I had high hopes, as it was working for them. Turns out that the standard subscriber version doesn’t have SNY. They apparently have some kind of pirated version that was hacked to give them access to SNY. Bummer.

I refuse to pay HULU or FUBO prices to get one channel. I pay $11.69/mo to get everything on Disney+, i’m not going to pay $60-80 or more for one channel.

the WFSB thing sounds interesting, but does anyone know what’s actually going to happen?

Reaction Score
I have been less than impressed by WFSB's sports coverage, particularly for women's sports. I'd rather have SNY or NBC-CT. But it's not up to me.
I get both SNY and WFSB, so I don't have too much to complain about. I will say, SNY has done a superior job with pre-game, post-game, Geno shows and other specials. I seriously doubt WFSB will do as good. Oh well...

Reaction Score
I live in Ohio and downloaded the SNY app on my ROKU TV and it shows me NO games. It always says I'm outside the viewing area so I have to get the games on Fox or some other place.

And to Old Gueezer...Disney is raising their prices too.

Reaction Score
As for the old CPTV days, it was great to have coverage, something most WCBB teams did not have, but the constant begging drove me crazy.
No attack @vtcwbuff but I find the constant auto, injury law firms, Liberty biberty and the Allstate man from hell more aggravating.
Remember when cable first came out it was promoted as advertisement free? ;)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I live in Ohio and downloaded the SNY app on my ROKU TV and it shows me NO games. It always says I'm outside the viewing area so I have to get the games on Fox or some other place.

The SNY app only works for subscribers to SNY via their TV provider. It does not work for just anyone who downloads their app.
However, the Fox Sports app streaming of SNY WBB games does work for anyone, anywhere as long as your TV provider has your local Fox programming, FS1 and FS2.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In a case such as this, UCONN does not care about the picture quality or broadcasting acuteness, or THE FANS......They care about ONE THING: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Reaction Score
So is there any update to this thread as of today? When I cut the cord with xfinity after going with frontier fiber, I was thrilled to be paying less for internet and being able to get the programming I wanted from YouTube tv. I even liked the fact that you could customize each user profile to see only the specific channels you want and in your specific order. And they had SNY. I have spent the last few months trying to figure out how I could still see the girls play.

I tried HULU for a couple of weeks, but the interface is so bad, and they just announced a price increase to over $80, that I dropped them, even though they had SNY.

I tried the “247 IPTV” app that some friends use when they’re not in CT to watch UConn women. I had high hopes, as it was working for them. Turns out that the standard subscriber version doesn’t have SNY. They apparently have some kind of pirated version that was hacked to give them access to SNY. Bummer.

I refuse to pay HULU or FUBO prices to get one channel. I pay $11.69/mo to get everything on Disney+, i’m not going to pay $60-80 or more for one channel.

the WFSB thing sounds interesting, but does anyone know what’s actually going to happen?
Based on the highlighted paragraph/sentence you also dropped YouTube TV because they got rid of SNY? To be able to watch ANY live UConn games you would need a TV provider...either cable or live streaming service and also have FOX Sports and FS1 channels at a minimum.

The logic you're not paying $60-80 or more is not only for one channel, don't forget UConn's games are also on FS1, ESPN family of channels, ABC, CBS Sports Network and FOX...let me put it this way, the "big games" are not on SNY.

If you still have YouTube TV would be wise to keep it, you will still be able to watch the UConn games not on SNY but on the Fox Sports app (on ROKU, other streaming devices, phone etc.)

Reaction Score
Uh oh.....I forgot those "personal seat licenses" (PSL). I'd buy season seats for one season just for the experience of sitting close to the floor. Then it would the upper bowl for me. Those escalating costs of PSL's and other ancillary fees will force you to relocate. The last time I had season tickets for anything was for the LA Raiders (at the LA Coliseum) when they moved to LA for 10 years. It was an excellent bonding opportunity with my then 10-year-old son.

The guy that came up with the idea of charging airline passengers for their bags is probably the same guy that came up with the PSL concept, too. :mad: Everything keeps going up. That cold roast beef sandwich that I paid $11.18 for just a year ago cost me $14.75 yesterday at our local deli. I told the lady that waited on me that I bet the next time I come in to get this sandwich, it will probably be $15.00. :eek:
I like their food, but I don't think I'll be going back there anymore.
I love the upper level at Gampel. Last row, center court, actual seats no one behind me. Love it, and see everything.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

And there are rumors that the Disney+ world might be broken apart, with ABC and ESPN returning as a separate entity. But no one knows if it will happen...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Weeks away from the start of the season, and we don't know how or where we may be able to watch our Huskies play. What flipping genius is in charge of this mess? As a subscriber of direct tv I have been able to watch the games broadcast by SNY, the coast has been $10 a month. Will I end up canning SNY? I think so, living in Tn. being a Husky fan can be an adventure, trying to find out where and how to watch the games. I will wait for a while before I go into panic mode, my inquiring mind just wants to know how I will be able to get my Husky fix. :( Send help!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom