Good Day For Dyson (Summer League) | The Boneyard

Good Day For Dyson (Summer League)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had 21 points, nine assists, shot 7-7 from the floor and quarterbacked Charlotte to 94 points in a 40-minute game (he was also +20 in a six-point win, as Brandon Triche backed him up and despite a gritty and plucky effort, wasn't as effective).

Kemba and Sessions make it crowded for Dyson to stick in Charlotte (although their new coach has been quoted as saying he wants a third point guard). Didn't think he'd make it in the first place, and he's got some NBA "caps" (to use a soccer term) under his belt already, so he's done pretty well for himself.

Reaction Score
Oh oh oh oh oh beating out Triche for a roster spot would make this that much sweeter for Jerome. Looks like the guy whose desire we questioned so often during his senior year has found his heart.

Reaction Score
Dyson looks totally capable to play in the league. Looks like a legit pg. his game has matured so much, happy for him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Would really piss the Dyson haters off for him to be successful in The League. I personally liked Dyson, because he always played hard. Didn't look to develop his team play enough in College, but there are worse sins in this world. He approached a level of bonyard hate close to Oriakhi in his day.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
like every uconn player, i hope he succeeds. plus if he sticks i might have to become a hornets fan(their new name)

Reaction Score
Oh oh oh oh oh beating out Triche for a roster spot would make this that much sweeter for Jerome. Looks like the guy whose desire we questioned so often during his senior year has found his heart.

Desire was never a problem for Jerome. "Now that he's learned the importance of preparation ... yada yada yada"

Reaction Score
Desire was never a problem for Jerome. "Now that he's learned the importance of preparation ... yada yada yada"

IMO not preparing/not keeping off the court things in check shows an overall lack of desire.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I hope that Jordan decides to keep Jerome on the team. If anyone can make him better & teach him a little humility, it's Kemba!

Reaction Score
I always remember Calhoun saying Jerome Dyson would play in the league one day. Dyson takes a lot of heat for really no reason. If he didnt get hurt in 09 theres a strong chance we would have 4 banners hanging. By the way...I think MJ is a closet UConn fan (Kemba, Adrien, Gordon, Dyson).

Reaction Score
like every uconn player, i hope he succeeds. plus if he sticks i might have to become a hornets fan(their new name)

like every uconn player, i hope he succeeds. plus if he sticks i might have to become a hornets fan(their old name)

Fixed it for ya.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
like every uconn player, i hope he succeeds. plus if he sticks i might have to become a hornets fan(their old name)

Fixed it for ya.

i know, i meant for the people who didn't know the cats were at one time the hornets

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I always remember Calhoun saying Jerome Dyson would play in the league one day. Dyson takes a lot of heat for really no reason. If he didnt get hurt in 09 theres a strong chance we would have 4 banners hanging. By the way...I think MJ is a closet UConn fan (Kemba, Adrien, Gordon, Dyson).

Don't tell this to chief or free or frankivy. They will tell you how UConn only won in the post season when Dyson was OUT. "Never made the Dance when Dyson was in the lineup" was the familiar refrain.

Reaction Score
Enough bashing of Dyson. Yes, he wasn't an All American or All Big East First team. However, he played hard every game. Was most often our best guard defender. He was very athletic, but a 6'2" SG. He wasn't a great shooter, but a great driver. He averaged 17 ppg, 4 rpg & 4 apg as a senior. That's pretty damn good! Question his judgement at times, but not his heart. He left it all out on the floor. I believe he scored lose to 1,900 points in his career. He tried & I won't question hi effort. Good for him if he makes Charlotte's roster.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Enough bashing of Dyson. Yes, he wasn't an All American or All Big East First team. However, he played hard every game. Was most often our best guard defender. He was very athletic, but a 6'2" SG. He wasn't a great shooter, but a great driver. He averaged 17 ppg, 4 rpg & 4 apg as a senior. That's pretty damn good! Question his judgement at times, but not his heart. He left it all out on the floor. I believe he scored lose to 1,900 points in his career. He tried & I won't question hi effort. Good for him if he makes Charlotte's roster.

Don't think anyone is bashing Dyson on this thread. Raising some old boneyard ghosts, but other than that, no.

Reaction Score
Don't think anyone is bashing Dyson on this thread. Raising some old boneyard ghosts, but other than that, no.

Well, the tone seems to raise some Dyson bitterness, not necessarily by you. I was a Dyson fan because he always played hard. Those questioning his heart are way off. It didn't work out, not for his lack of trying. A lot finger pointing on here. Just because UConn doesn't have a great run, doesn't mean they didn't try. Sometimes chemistry is not there, doesn't mean they didn't care. 2006, 2010 & 2012 teams come to mind. We can't win a National Championship every year. It is what it is. Sometimes we're spoiled.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Well, the tone seems to raise some Dyson bitterness, not necessarily by you. I was a Dyson fan because he always played hard. Those questioning his heart are way off. It didn't work out, not for his lack of trying. A lot finger pointing on here. Just because UConn doesn't have a great run, doesn't mean they didn't try. Sometimes chemistry is not there, doesn't mean they didn't care. 2006, 2010 & 2012 teams come to mind. We can't win a National Championship every year. It is what it is. Sometimes we're spoiled.

Very good points, ones that are often lost in the minds of some of our posters who really think we should win the NC every year and that we always need someone to blame when we don't. Jerome was often the better point guard between he and Kemba when he was a senior and Kemba a sophomore, but neither played that well as a floor general and team leader.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Very good points, ones that are often lost in the minds of some of our posters who really think we should win the NC every year and that we always need someone to blame when we don't. Jerome was often the better point guard between he and Kemba when he was a senior and Kemba a sophomore, but neither played that well as a floor general and team leader.
Kemba started as the pg beginning of that season and did ok. Dyson played the 2 and was getting accolades. I believe he was getting strong consideration for the Wooden award and was leading the nation in scoring before the switch. Then the meat of the schedule began and Kemba struggled big time. JC moved Dyson to the point. He struggled as well. It wasn't heart that was the problem. It was being thrown into a role without the pre or early season development. No different then JC moving KFree to the three from his four position. KFree struggled even with the offseason and early season to give it a go. No one accused KFree of a lack of heart.

But in JD's case it was easy for a band of people to cast aspersions. He had a scowl when he played. He got into trouble a couple of seasons earlier. So some people started rumors about his lack of preparation. Salem witch hunt all over again.

Funny thing is with all the difficulty JD faced he got his degree on time and never said anything negative about the coach or his team mates. Between AO and JD, JD had a legitimate gripe with JC because the switch from the off guard to the pg mid season really impacted JD's chances with the NBA imo. If he stayed at the 2 I felt he would have left with a far better resume. But just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
The trouble with that team was with Kemba-Dyson-Sticks at the 1-2-3, you had three guys who wanted to attack the basket. None of those guys scared anyone with their three-point shooting, so the paint was always packed. The bench guys didn't help much either - Darius Smith, Donnell, freshman Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Whoever was playing point could beat their man and have two options - kick it out to a non-shooter or keep trying to attack against a packed defense.

Halfway through the year, Dyson was averaging 20-5-5, mostly against cupcakes with a couple tough games thrown in, but when better teams had better defensive schemes with better athletes, his numbers slid, the team slid and it was difficult to fix the problem. We kinda had to hope Dyson was on from three or Jamal Coombs-McDaniel maybe had an usually hot day off the bench to spread the floor.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
My problem with JD was his arrogance. He played hard. Tough kid. Made some questionable decisions on & off the court. For the record, just coz he walked with his class does not mean he got his degree....on time or otherwise.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My problem with JD was his arrogance. He played hard. Tough kid. Made some questionable decisions on & off the court. For the record, just coz he walked with his class does not mean he got his degree....on time or otherwise.
He got his degree on time. How do you define arrogance?

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
My definition may differ from yours...above the rules, me first, team second. How do you know for sure he got his degree? Taliek also walked with his class & just completed his degree over the Summer (YAY Taliek!!)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My definition may differ from yours...above the rules, me first, team second. How do you know for sure he got his degree? Taliek also walked with his class & just completed his degree over the Summer (YAY Taliek!!)
there were questions regarding his degree at time of graduation and it was confirmed. Sorry can't recall exactly who confirmed it. Believe it was JC.

def of arrogance the same. Just differ on opinion. My take: JC called him a warrior. He did what JC wanted. He wasn't perfect. Got into trouble. Lot of kids his age have done far worse. His Senior season was atrocious for all of us. As much to do with construction of team as opposed to JD. No one called Kemba selfish. He and JD just didn't have the skill set to run things that year nor the outside shooting to spread defenses.

He was a better complementary player than primary guard. Did well with AJP. Probably would have done well with junior Kemba but Kemba didn't "take things seriously until after his sophomore season". In quotes because it is only half true and things can be emphasized the way we want them.

JC had his flaws. We sometimes scratched our heads why some players were in the doghouse and others seemingly committing the same mistakes got passes. But game time JC was a bulldog. He was a control freak where commentators and fans alike were wagering how long before the first time out was called and a player pulled. A player consistently driving to the hoop the way JD did was doing what the coach wanted but executing it poorly. That's not selfish or arrogant. Just not skilled enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom