Good article on APR turn around | The Boneyard

Good article on APR turn around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is it good? This new guy must be better than Taigen, right?

Reaction Score
if y0u can figure out what's good about this article, then I can't help you

Are you referring to UConn not being in trouble any more with APR? I was referring to the article. The article is poor. It's good that UConn will be less likely to be banned.

Reaction Score
Are you referring to UConn not being in trouble any more with APR? I was referring to the article. The article is poor. It's good that UConn will be less likely to be banned.

What is it about this article that's poor, its content, they way it's written? Be specific, what's good or positive about the article is that measures are being placed to ensure Uconn doesn't have to go through this again. The article is well written, factual and relevant.

Reaction Score
What is it about this article that's poor, its content, they way it's written? Be specific, what's good or positive about the article is that measures are being placed to ensure Uconn doesn't have to go through this again. The article is well written, factual and relevant.

In addition to monitoring study halls more effectively (at home and on the road), the university has also raised academic expectations. Basketball players are now expected to take classes during three sessions between the conventional spring and fall semesters, as well as register for “intersession” courses during the winter break, according to an article in the Hartford Courant.

How does the sentence that follows the statement about raised academics fulfill the writer's claim?

Reaction Score
How does the sentence that follows the statement about raised academics fulfill the writer's claim?

I can only make assumptions regarding what the author was thinking, so I won't comment, but increasing oversight on academics can only mean good things for the program. The program needs to be more accountable and it appears that it will be now more than ever.

Reaction Score
I can only make assumptions regarding what the author was thinking, so I won't comment, but increasing oversight on academics can only mean good things for the program. The program needs to be more accountable and it appears that it will be now more than ever.

Oversight over lower standards. Not something to celebrate.

C

Chief00

OK - this thread has been all BS except for the comment about UConn learning to game the system.

It was reported that Harvard basketball got a 914 score and FL a perfect 1,000 score and SEC partner UK got a 979. The bottom-line is that Walter Harrison, Mark Emmert and fellow disingenuous bureaucrats are perpetuating a fraud, while the NCAA lines its pockets with money earned by guys their investigators make sure don't get paid unless they are in a protective class (I.E. Duke BB or SEC FB -Cam Newton).

The reason Harvard BB got a low score is they treat the BB players like other students and have actual academic programs with rigor. FL and UK got great scores because they have "academic" programs solely designed to pass atheletes at the expense of any real academic rigor in the class room. So this is what we have learned. How sad but necessary.

Reaction Score
OK - this thread has been all BS except for the comment about UConn learning to game the system.

It was reported that Harvard basketball got a 914 score and FL a perfect 1,000 score and SEC partner UK got a 979. The bottom-line is that Walter Harrison, Mark Emmert and fellow disingenuous bureaucrats are perpetuating a fraud, while the NCAA lines its pockets with money earned by guys their investigators make sure don't get paid unless they are in a protective class (I.E. Duke BB or SEC FB -Cam Newton).

The reason Harvard BB got a low score is they treat the BB players like other students and have actual academic programs with rigor. FL and UK got great scores because they have "academic" programs solely designed to pass atheletes at the expense of any real academic rigor in the class room.

I'm almost glad Harvard got a 914 (below the minimal average score) to show what a farce this is.

Actually, a 914 sounds pretty impressive coming from Harvard.

C

Chief00

As a side note, my sister works at Harvard and they have had all kinds of conflicts with the NCAA crazy rules. In particular with exchange students, transcripts of students who have studied aboard, etc. Few of these stories make the headlines (except with Joe Nocera) and they are usually in Olympic sports, which don't get the coverage.

All this and you can practically be an illiterate at an SEC school and get handed a piece of paper called a diploma after 4 years. Yes, the program is tailored for the sole purpose of keeping athletes and post season eligibility.

Reaction Score
All this and you can practically be an illiterate at an SEC school and get handed a piece of paper called a diploma after 4 years. Yes, the program is tailored for the sole purpose of keeping athletes and post season eligibility.

With the exception of maybe Notre Dame, this is true for the Big East as well, and don't pretend otherwise.

Reaction Score
With the exception of maybe Notre Dame, this is true for the Big East as well, and don't pretend otherwise.

Why is ND an exception? And, really, you think things are like the SEC at UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom