• Pele

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Roger Federer

• Rafael Nadal

• Novak Djokovic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please feel free to comment below)

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Jordan and it's not even close for me. I've still yet to see anyone do the things he routinely did on a basketball court. For anyone who didn't live through his playing career or forgot how ridiculous he was...

Watch "Michael Jordan's HISTORIC Bulls Mixtape | The Jordan Vault" on YouTube

Reaction Score
This debate has raged throughout history but unfortunately it is difficult to compare athletes from different eras. As an example, in the year the Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs no team had hit that many in one year, and for that reason you could say he completely changed the game. Many people say Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time, but Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50 points in a season. In motorsports it’s near impossible to find anyone who dominated the sport more than Ricky Carmichael in motocross, actually going seasons without losing a single Moto. Auto racing has Jimmie Johnson who won seven championships out of the 11 seasons he participated. You can clearly make an argument for TB12.

However, for my money in pro sports there is no one who dominated his field more than Wayne Gretzky. Last I knew he had something like 61 NHL records. During the era in which he played, he set records that were just mind-boggling in scope. I believe he had more goals than anyone else had goals and assists added together. Again, his style of play completely changed the sport of hockey.

Now, as a Waterbury native, and again looking at the era in which they played, I go with Joan Joyce.
Joan Joyce absolutely has a valid case as the best female athlete ever. She was just born too early and it's a shame she isn't a household name.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Tyson fury.Too big ,too strong and fast for his size.Two hundred years of boxing could not find an opponent to take out fury.He's basically indestructible.He fought 3 incredible fights with the 2nd best heavyweight and convincingly came out on top the victor.I believe he is the greatest heavyweight to step into the ring

When it is all said and done and if Fury can continue doing what he has done I do believe he will surpass Ali. Boxes and moves like a middleweight, and he talks the talk like the great Ali. He may get knocked down but the man always rises. Just watching him in the corner of the first Wilder fight yelling to himself "I am the Gypsy King" still pumps me up.

Reaction Score
I had it between Jordan and Brady. Aside from all these championships, these guys played at a high level into their 40’s. That shows exceptional talent because even as they aged, they were still excellent at their craft. I had to go with Brady because he was winning titles in his 40s.

Reaction Score
I agree with your post Mr colchvegas ,keep in mind Ali did lose 5 fights,so he can't be I think be considered the greatest.But I agree with 99 percent of your post

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Valid point Kajik. I find it hard to believe Fury will lose before he hangs up the gloves. It will be tough for a heavyweight to outbox him and I do not see him getting KOd as he has risen multiple times from maybe the hardest hitting heavyweight (albeit very little else) of all time in Wilder.

I suppose I say Ali because if you ask non boxing fans about the greatest boxer almost all will know and say Ali.

Reaction Score
I chose Babe Ruth he did it on booze and smoked like a chimney and still kicked ass. Made the Sox a dynasty and later the Yankees who were the loser team in NY at the time was also a dominant pitcher.

Pretty fascinating CT connection.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I know @Fishy voted for, or will vote for, or won't vote at all but think its Phelps.

Reaction Score
This kind of debate can't even start until one or two adult beverages have been served. Then the fun begins..

GOATS in every sport. .Different challenges/different criteria/team sport/individual sport.. A conundrum

Reaction Score
Allyson Felix

I know she may not be number one, but she should at least be mentioned in the conversation. Just wanted to give her some shine:

Allyson Felix becomes most decorated American track athlete in Olympic history

iu

Reaction Score
Thurman Munson. No reason other than the fact that he played baseball the way I did when I was a kid, reminded me of my father, didn’t tolerate Reggie’s ego trip, and he was my childhood hero.
Munson had his own ego problems...make no mistake about it. What else would you call trying to turn his teammates on Reggie. Pure ego.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Objectively Bolt is the correct answer.

Nothing has really changed in the sport other than shoes and training. Same length track. It's a sport available to almost entire world's population and is competed everywhere in the world.

He has run faster than any human being ever clocked and dominated his sport for over a decade.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This debate has raged throughout history but unfortunately it is difficult to compare athletes from different eras. As an example, in the year the Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs no team had hit that many in one year, and for that reason you could say he completely changed the game. Many people say Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time, but Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50 points in a season. In motorsports it’s near impossible to find anyone who dominated the sport more than Ricky Carmichael in motocross, actually going seasons without losing a single Moto. Auto racing has Jimmie Johnson who won seven championships out of the 11 seasons he participated. You can clearly make an argument for TB12.

However, for my money in pro sports there is no one who dominated his field more than Wayne Gretzky. Last I knew he had something like 61 NHL records. During the era in which he played, he set records that were just mind-boggling in scope. I believe he had more goals than anyone else had goals and assists added together. Again, his style of play completely changed the sport of hockey.

Now, as a Waterbury native, and again looking at the era in which they played, I go with Joan Joyce.

That is why Bolt is the answer.

Reaction Score
I said Ali because his fame was not limited to any geographic location. You could pretty much go anywhere in the world and people knew who he was.
Before internet, cable TV, social media, cell phones, etc... Ali's greatness traveled around the world like he was a religion. His face was more recognized than any athlete discussed in this thread.

Reaction Score
Jack Nicklaus. 18 Majors, 6 Masters, 4 US Opens, 5 PGAs 3 Open Championships. 19 second place finishes in majors. 2 US Amateurs and an NCAA title. He won his first Major at 20 and his last at 46. He was Tiger Woods before Tiger Woods only better.

Reaction Score
Objectively Bolt is the correct answer.

Nothing has really changed in the sport other than shoes and training. Same length track. It's a sport available to almost entire world's population and is competed everywhere in the world.

He has run faster than any human being ever clocked and dominated his sport for over a decade.
So he trumps everyone else in every sport all time because he is the fastest guy (right now) to run a straight line for a very short distance.

Reaction Score
I had it between Jordan and Brady. Aside from all these championships, these guys played at a high level into their 40’s. That shows exceptional talent because even as they aged, they were still excellent at their craft. I had to go with Brady because he was winning titles in his 40s.

Jordan retired (again) at 40 and was definitely not remotely the same player he was in his prime. There is a basketball player whose sustained dominance after 20 years is absolutely freakish and maybe unprecedented but I don't expect him to get much traction here.

Reaction Score
Jordan retired (again) at 40 and was definitely not remotely the same player he was in his prime. There is a basketball player whose sustained dominance after 20 years is absolutely freakish and maybe unprecedented but I don't expect him to get much traction here.
I agree. However, the talent Jordan had to score pretty much at will at the end of his career was pretty amazing. He scored 50 very late in his career. Add that to the 6 titles and you’ve got something special.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So he trumps everyone else in every sport all time because he is the fastest guy (right now) to run a straight line for a very short distance.

Yes. The objective in a sprint is to run it faster than anyone else. And it's a sport that has basically remained unchanged for a couple of millenia.
Anyone who shows the ability to run that fast stays in that sport and competes. No one has done is better than Bolt.

That's the definition of Greatest Of All Time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom