Go DePaul!! Beat Duke!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Go DePaul!! Beat Duke!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hard not to feel for the Duke players with the run of injuries, but I am very happy for Doug and DePaul - long live the old big east. Heck, I was also rooting for Syracuse which I do not remember doing before. Now, it will be a really good day if St. John's can make some noise!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg ‏@DougFeinberg 2h
Thanks to my colleague @JoedyAP this game should be called the Evils vs. the Blue Emons cause clearly there is no D on either team
Great tweet!
Also - I always think it is bad for coaches to complain about the seeding - just get on with it. Never seems to end up well. And you are going to have to beat 4 good teams that are playing well to win it all so ...

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Hard not to feel for the Duke players with the run of injuries, but I am very happy for Doug and DePaul - long live the old big east. Heck, I was also rooting for Syracuse which I do not remember doing before. Now, it will be a really good day if St. John's can make some noise!!!

Speaking of which, one of the Boneyard stat geeks should do a W-L for last year's Big East Teams so far in the tourney UCONN, Louisville, SJU, DePaul, ND, Syracuse (narrow loss to UK) - did I miss anybody ??

Reaction Score
Interesting ... Duke coaches (men and women) were both the ones doing the most bitching and moaning about the tournament -- Coach K about the A-1o being unworthy; women's coach about unfair seeding. And they're both out early. Boo hoo.
To the credit of Coach K, he went into the Mercer locker room after the game and congratulated them for playing a great game and complimented their team.

Reaction Score
I feel for Duke's players. The injuries to the back court hurts (no pun intended). UConn fans know how injuries can turn what was expected to be a special season into a disappointing end. And the players who could play played their hearts out. I am not a Duke fan, but I don't dislike them as much as I used to. For that I can thank our Duke friends here on the Boneyard. Guys...sorry to see your team lose this early.

I am happy for former conference mates DePaul and Doug Bruno. Doug is one of the good guys in the coaching ranks.

But you know what I am happiest about? I get to hear the DePaul band play again!!!!! An extra bonus to going to the regional in Lincoln! They were the best band at the Big East tournament and I was always sad to see them pack up when DePaul would ultimately lose. The band members are really into the games and play very entertaining musical numbers - not the usual pep band numbers. Love that Chicago!

Reaction Score
Well consider the upside for JPM, Duke will not have to be inconvenienced with the travel problems that are unfolding in this NCAA tournament! They will not have to travel anymore this season and with the severe weather coming over the next few days it should be a great relief to her and the team! Sleep well you Devils of Duke.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I actually think DePaul would be a tougher match up for us.
ASweet-I couldn't agree more- DePaul is one of the wild cards that u don't want to run into right now! They know who they are and what they do! They can beat almost anybody right now! I would almost rather play N dame than them right now. They r dangerous- good for Doug!!!!!

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I like Duke losing as much as anyone -- but really, you know the injuries they endured and you mock?
That is a shame really, I would prefer they go down at full strength obviously. Take two of our starting 5 off permanently, and we are not much different than the rest of the pack- very vulnerable. However, Duke at full strength has proven to be consistent underachievers for a long long time! Which is fine with me!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I feel for Duke's players. The injuries to the back court hurts (no pun intended). UConn fans know how injuries can turn what was expected to be a special season into a disappointing end. And the players who could play played their hearts out. I am not a Duke fan, but I don't dislike them as much as I used to. For that I can thank our Duke friends here on the Boneyard. Guys...sorry to see your team lose this early.

I am happy for former conference mates DePaul and Doug Bruno. Doug is one of the good guys in the coaching ranks.

But you know what I am happiest about? I get to hear the DePaul band play again!!!!! An extra bonus to going to the regional in Lincoln! They were the best band at the Big East tournament and I was always sad to see them pack up when DePaul would ultimately lose. The band members are really into the games and play very entertaining musical numbers - not the usual pep band numbers. Love that Chicago!
Their band is so good- I don't know why other teams band's don't try to copy some of their stuff! They are fun and entertaining! They create almost a home field advantage for the team- even when on the road!!!!

Reaction Score
They lost two starters and another player to injuries. I dislike the coach and of course really think Doug B is great stuff. But still please be kind as injuries are a poisonous cup to drink. So we are just lucky that our KML is OK now; and that Hartley has come back from her injury, and that MJeff's foot is not any worse, etc. It's tough...

they were bad before the injuries

a good team doesn't lose by 22 points at home

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Duke sure had bad luck with injuries. I should feel sympathy. But I don't. I simply have no good feelings about anything associated with the alma mater of Christian Laettner.

Sorry.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Speaking of which, one of the Boneyard stat geeks should do a W-L for last year's Big East Teams so far in the tourney UCONN, Louisville, SJU, DePaul, ND, Syracuse (narrow loss to UK) - did I miss anybody ??
WV.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like the Duke posters, but I also like Doug Bruno.

I feel for Duke because they lost a ton of talent to nasty injuries, but JPM has under-performed at Duke.

Teams that whine about their placement look particularly foolish when they don't take care of business. The Blue Devils simply weren't a Final Four team with those injuries.

We need to focus and take care of business tonight. And then repeat 4 more times.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
For the record (as the thread starter), I have no animus toward the Duke players. They had a tough year with injuries. I do think they deserve a better coach. BUT, I am REALLY glad for my hometown team DePaul that they go on to Lincoln. And I, too, can't wait to hear their band. I wish them the best against the Aggies. And yes, as a native born Texan, I would have rooted for the Aggies against Duke, but I can't against Doug and the Blue Demons. Too much Chicago in my blood, even though I have been bleeding blue as a Husky fan for 20 years in CT. Of course, I live in hope that UCONN goes ALL THE WAY.

Reaction Score
For the record (as the thread starter), I have no animus toward the Duke players. They had a tough year with injuries. I do think they deserve a better coach. BUT, I am REALLY glad for my hometown team DePaul that they go on to Lincoln. And I, too, can't wait to hear their band. I wish them the best against the Aggies. And yes, as a native born Texan, I would have rooted for the Aggies against Duke, but I can't against Doug and the Blue Demons. Too much Chicago in my blood, even though I have been bleeding blue as a Husky fan for 20 years in CT. Of course, I live in hope that UCONN goes ALL THE WAY.

granted they had two key injuries , but why did Wells leave the team ? and why did Holland transfer ?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, I am super confused about Wells also. She was injured during the UConn game with shin splints, but then she just sort of...disappeared. No official statement (that I read, maybe there was one). She wasn't featured on Senior Night. Strange.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I feel sad for the Duke players. They would not have lost (or at least would have had a better chance at winning) had Gray and Jones not gone out with injuries. Liston is not a point guard, but she did her best and that is all you can ask out of your players. I remember when Stanford was hit with a variety of nasty injuries for years, so I can empathize with the players and the fans. It's just a very unfortunate situation.

However, I do not like McCallie. Maybe it's because she's upended Stanford twice (once at Maine, the other at Michigan State). There is just something that I have never liked about her, but I can't put my finger on it. And of course, the comments she made about the committee not wanting her team to get to the Final Four... just not very smart. You can complain about the seeds, but you take what you are given and work with it. She set up her team for failure from a mental standpoint and that's disturbing behavior to see out of a head coach.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Took in the Duke postgame presser. Wms was composed (took some blame on for her play against the BD's zone), but Halley Peters was pretty much a wreck. Little really said about the game. McCallie was very complimentary of her seniors. Her widely quoted statement about how it was hard to guard Doug's hot rey shooter because she shoot from so far out: It's a misquote. True to form she referred to the player by number, not by name (as it was reported). At the end of the game McCallie looked like she was going to lose it - and she did apparently in the locker room as she sniveled and dabbed the nose throughout the conference.

Reaction Score
I'm a loyalty kinda guy, and DePaul was part of the contingent that broke up the Big East. I know it wasn't his idea, but I found myself rooting for Duke on this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom