Give Me Hope - Offensive Line | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Give Me Hope - Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO I believe that Adam Masters is a better LT than a Guard and is a better LT than Jimmy Bennett. So for me the question is: is Bennett better than Cruz?? And it seems that staff has answered that question. There does seem to be some improvement with Bullock at OC over Mateas…. I agree on Greene, he is better fit for Foley’s schemes than DeLeone’s. For next year one of the main concerns is who is playing LT – do they move Friend over there, or does someone like Gifford or Levy or in-coming frosh Hopkins step up, as Hemingway is a RT for now and they seemed to have moved Rugg to OG??

Reaction Score
IMO I believe that Adam Masters is a better LT than a Guard and is a better LT than Jimmy Bennett. So for me the question is: is Bennett better than Cruz?? And it seems that staff has answered that question. There does seem to be some improvement with Bullock at OC over Mateas…. I agree on Greene, he is better fit for Foley’s schemes than DeLeone’s. For next year one of the main concerns is who is playing LT – do they move Friend over there, or does someone like Gifford or Levy or in-coming frosh Hopkins step up, as Hemingway is a RT for now and they seemed to have moved Rugg to OG??

All good points. I wish I knew what our OL and backs and QB are being taught. It's SO mind numbing for me to see how poorly we block at times, because of simple defensive shifting of players.

I do get the feeling at times, that they simply aren't being taught a full system this year. Is it possible that this coaching staff is sacrificing something, to build now, and then add more later to the offense?

We came out on Saturday, and Temple was playing a standard 7 man front, 4 down, 3 up, with a split 2 deep safety coverage shell. Our offense eats that kind of defense up. THe seam routes to the TE, the post routes, te blocking up front for running.

If a defense does anything else, we're in trouble. Temples started lining up in a single deep safety look presnap, with a safety up in close, and then when the play clock would drop down to about 5, that safety would split back out into the field and the safeties would go back into halves. Now, our QB is a basically a frosh, so I don't expect him to pick that up right away, but it seems that we're a division 1 program, so we should be able to get some communication going on the field, with pictures and diagrams to show that QB what they're doing to disguise looks prior to snap. I have no idea if any coaching like that is going on during games. I would hope so.

The defensive line, started moving around a bit and showing different gap pressure, but the coverage shell, for the most part, stayed exactly thesame, just showed a different look prior to snap, and it seems our blockers lost some of their assignments as the game wore on, because of the shifting and different alignments up front that the defense presented.

We have trouble against single deep safety defensive sets, all season long. We have touble against defenses that do any kind of shifting and motion prior to snap.

we're going to see these kinds of the things from opposing defenses the rest of the way. I would hope that we start to practice better to handle it.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it helps, but there is an assmption built in to this that Bennett will not get 6th year.

Regardless, the OL play has been horrible. You would think by now they would take it personally, but i will call every single one of them out and say you are killing this team, single-handedly. You can't run block and you can't pass block. NONE of you is expendable. Not now, not next year. I am so frigging tired of hearing it is the coaching - you're a D1 player, frigging hit the guy across from you in to next week. And when we pass sustain your blocks and cut off the lanes. This is not a defense of GDL, this is a call out to 20 year old boys to start acting like men.

Reaction Score
Yes Gioff23 thanks, I have assumed that Bennett does not get a 6th year, if he does then ok I get it... I few observations about what else might be going on with the OL. Staff has stated that they want each Olineman to be able to play 2/3 different positions on the line, hey are they possibly loosing valuable practice/film time trying to master other positions. IMO you are lucky if you have a couple of players who can handle that for depth purposes (Masters and Bullock as examples)... Finally sometimes playing the best prototype OL athletes does not equal playing the 5 who can be successful and play well as an overall unit…. Just some food for thought…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom