Give Me Hope - Offensive Line | The Boneyard

Give Me Hope - Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll keep it to two "Give Me Hope" threads tonight, to see how well they are received (and if it is at all therapeutic to me!). So the second installment is actually the 1,000 lb. gorilla in the room for me: Offensive Line. It is the unit that gives me the most heartburn about our future, so let's get that out there right now:

Offensive Line - I would love to say a smart comment like, "Well, it couldn't get worse," but something in my stomach tells me that it actually could. We will lose Jimmy Bennett and Adam Masters from the line after this year. Both have been relatively solid (although I thought Jimmy had a rough game today). We get back Greene, Friend, Mateas, and Bullock from the starters. Cruz and Samra have been lightly tested already (I think that Cruz has a lot of upside). I saw a little bit of Zach Rugg playing in the Ohio-vs-Pennsylvania game (the Big33, I think it's called), and I liked what I saw, but he's young. Hemingway is supposed to be good, but he is awfully light (as is Nwojeki)! Gifford, Paull, and Bockeloh seem to have potential, and Levy is an absolute house (6'5", 317).

Can this group be good? Can they be an improvement from this year?? Which 5 will it be??

Reaction Score
It can't possibly get worse. Change the coach and we will see improvement. Samra and Rugg have solid pedigrees. I'd like to see Samra tested at Center, put Cruz and Rugg next to him with Hemingway and Friend at the tackles.

Reaction Score
It can't possibly get worse. Change the coach and we will see improvement. Samra and Rugg have solid pedigrees. I'd like to see Samra tested at Center, put Cruz and Rugg next to him with Hemingway and Friend at the tackles.

I agree!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

It seems like we are pretty heavy on centers though (well, we have a lot of them, but I'm not sure of their respective quality, to be honest). Mateas, Bullock, Paull, and Bockeloh are all centers, if I'm not mistaken. We'll probably need Samra and Cruz at the guard positions along with Greene. The UConn roster list has Rugg listed as a guard, but I'm 99.9% positive that he played left tackle in the Big33 game, and I would love to see him try to fight his way into the spot that Bennett will vacate.

I didn't include Schafenaker or Hopkins into the discussion (recruits from this coming year), because I always feel like it's damned near impossible for true freshmen to play on an offensive line in the FBS...

Reaction Score
It seems like we are pretty heavy on centers though (well, we have a lot of them, but I'm not sure of their respective quality, to be honest). Mateas, Bullock, Paull, and Bockeloh are all centers, if I'm not mistaken. We'll probably need Samra and Cruz at the guard positions along with Greene. The UConn roster list has Rugg listed as a guard, but I'm 99.9% positive that he played left tackle in the Big33 game, and I would love to see him try to fight his way into the spot that Bennett will vacate.

I didn't include Schafenaker or Hopkins into the discussion (recruits from this coming year), because I always feel like it's damned near impossible for true freshmen to play on an offensive line in the FBS...

LSU has two freshmen's starting... one at the RG position and the other is at the RT position, but the talent level doesn't compare!

Reaction Score
I think we are a little small coming in Dan and I agree coaching , communication , and size all need to improve. I hope they go after a few big juco kids but we will see

Reaction Score
Samra's burned redshirt is criminal at this point in time. And I've tried to avoid calling guys out by name, but I think it may be time for Greene to watch more of the game from the sidelines. Bennett has been disappointing and we've gotten no consistency out of C position. Friend gets beat sometimes in pass blocking but has been ok. We'll miss Masters next year.

Next year could be ugly no matter who the coach is. Probably a rebuilding year with a new staff hopefully.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I thought things would of looked a lot different with Max in there but that wasn't to be the case. Max has great heart though man was brusin for a lot of little yds.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hope we put Foley back with these guys, in an scheme that is playable.

We got the Jimmys and Joes. The personnel seems to know how to play the game, they aren't slow.

There is quite a bit that I cannot say but I will ask one question: how is it that a couple of kids (one starter, one who played quite a bit off the bench) were able to block well against some pretty solid competition (including a few current NFL defensive lineman) two years ago but now can barely block air?

Near (possibly at) the top of my laundry list of gripes about the current HC (and OC) is that the one thing they did most to fix on our offense was the one thing that did not need fixing.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Dan, I like that you are the optimistic sort, but I'm having a hard time finding reasons to be optimistic about our OL in yesterday's wake...

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
There is quite a bit that I cannot say but I will ask one question: how is it that a couple of kids (one starter, one who played quite a bit off the bench) were able to block well against some pretty solid competition (including a few current NFL defensive lineman) two years ago but now can barely block air?

Near (possibly at) the top of my laundry list of gripes about the current HC (and OC) is that the one thing they did most to fix on our offense was the one thing that did not need fixing.

we are on the same page...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Samra's burned redshirt is criminal at this point in time. And I've tried to avoid calling guys out by name, but I think it may be time for Greene to watch more of the game from the sidelines. Bennett has been disappointing and we've gotten no consistency out of C position. Friend gets beat sometimes in pass blocking but has been ok. We'll miss Masters next year.

Next year could be ugly no matter who the coach is. Probably a rebuilding year with a new staff hopefully.

Unfortunately, this is my gut reaction too. I'm not sold on Bennett completely, and I'm ABSOLUTELY not sold on Greene. I'm also starting to get the sense that Bullock is better than Mateas at center, for what it's worth. It's my biggest area of concern for both this year and next...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, I like that you are the optimistic sort, but I'm having a hard time finding reasons to be optimistic about our OL in yesterday's wake...

My optimism is waning too, buddy. That's why I sent out this plea for the Boneyard to pick me up. I'm lighter than Fishy, but still above 200... :confused:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The only reason Samra's burned redshirt looks criminal is that the Oline has been healthy. We still have five games to play and he is one of our top-8 linemen.

Also, now that his redshirt is burned, he is practicing and participating in meetings with the rest of the Oline who are playing. In partial retrospect at the seven game mark it looks like a bad move, but it wasn't a bad decision at the time.

Reaction Score

I watch Friend a lot. Seems to have a lot of issues with blocking in general. On one sweep his way, he got right through the hole untouched! Only problem, he didn't have the ball. Kevin, if your're reading this: they are letting you through so they can tackle the running back. You have to hit someone, anyone. . .

Reaction Score
We truly need to get the best 5 offensive linemen on the field at their best positions. I am not sure if we have that right now. I think Friend might be better off at guard (although I think he has been pretty consistent), and Steve Greene just cannot stay at the other guard. He is a mauler, get his paws on you and you are going down. But that is the problem, he too often can't get his paws on you. He reminds me a little of Mike Hicks, are former right tackle. Move Greene to right tackle, IMO.

I would also like to see Mateus tried at guard. He has a ton of trouble snapping the ball. Take the pressure off him. See what he can do without that responsibility.

There are pieces here. What we need is an O Line Coach who recognizes strengths, and puts the lineman at their best spot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I watch Friend a lot. Seems to have a lot of issues with blocking in general. On one sweep his way, he got right through the hole untouched! Only problem, he didn't have the ball. Kevin, if your're reading this: they are letting you through so they can tackle the running back. You have to hit someone, anyone. . .
Did you analyze Kevin's play this thoroughly two years ago? While he did not play anywhere near as much as he has this season, he did play enough that a fair assessment can be made. How would you rate what you saw then?

Reaction Score
Didn't notice two years ago. Noticing things on the line a lot more now. A lot more.

Reaction Score

I agree with almost everything, but I think Deleone trying to add his schemes to a new line hurt us a lot this year!

Reaction Score
I agree with almost everything, but I think Deleone trying to add his schemes to a new line hurt us a lot this year!
They had MONTHS to get it figured out. Normally you expect a line to get better during the year, when no one is hurt, but we seem to have regressed. By far the biggest disappointment this year to me.

Reaction Score
They had MONTHS to get it figured out. Normally you expect a line to get better during the year, when no one is hurt, but we seem to have regressed. By far the biggest disappointment this year to me.

I say keep it simple! there's no need for Deleone to try and be a genius, as you can see with the offense and line its not working!

Reaction Score
I say keep it simple! there's no need for Deleone to try and be a genius, as you can see with the offense and line its not working!

The new blocking scheme is not difficult to pick up, it's just that he is trying to fit square pegs in round holes. There was no need for the new scheme. Our backs aren't suited for that style (look at McCombs stats plunging) and neither our the linemen. Recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score

If you can't move your feet to sustain your blocks then you better be damn good @ holding without getting caught!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom