Giffey quotes: | The Boneyard

Giffey quotes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In another thread Zion posted this:

@NeillOstrout: Giffey: “Lasan had a great first half. I had a great first half. Then you end up on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the second half...

@NeillOstrout: More Giffey: ....But it doesn’t matter as long as we win.”

The full quote is different:

"I know everybody on this team could play a whole different role if we were at a different school," Giffey said. "But that shows the mentality of our guys, Lasan had a great first half, I had a great first half and then we were on the bench for 10 minutes — but it doesn't matter as long as we win."

Sadly the abbreviated post has some posters convinced that Giffey is frustrated with his playing time and has bad mouthed the coach in public.

Reaction Score
What he said was blunt but he was speaking the truth. Both him and Lasan helped them build a big lead and both were on the bench for what? To watch Boatright play out of control? To watch Daniels play timid? Last year Ollie bitched he didn't have any depth on his bench. This year he has and what does he so in the 2nd half---not play any of them. Yeah, it was a win but it shouldn't have been that close.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What he said was blunt but he was speaking the truth. Both him and Lasan helped them build a big lead and both were on the bench for what? To watch Boatright play out of control? To watch Daniels play timid? Last year Ollie bitched he didn't have any depth on his bench. This year he has and what does he so in the 2nd half---not play any of them. Yeah, it was a win but it shouldn't have been that close.
Some reporter questioned Neils about not getting in the second half until ten minutes passed and Neils said he was supportive of the decision. The quote by Ostrout is not the full quote and gives a different impression from what Neils stated. And people are taking the simplified quote to validate their feelings as opposed to what Neils stated.

Reaction Score
Ummmm...I was not trying to validate any feelings for the record. I shared a tweet(s). Relevant to topic in thread.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Were all talking about Neil. He succeeded

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Ummmm...I was not trying to validate any feelings for the record. I shared a tweet(s). Relevant to topic in thread.
I was hoping you would clarify this. Watch all the fires that continue because of that tweet.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Were all talking about Neil. He succeeded
It was sloppy at best and contentious at worst. It's the reporters version of a technical foul. But without the consequences.

Reaction Score

Your narrative would make more sense if they weren't playing well for the majority of the time Giffey was on the bench. The lead ballooned to 17 at the 12 minute mark, and shortly after it was cut into, Giffey checked back into the game.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It was sloppy at best and contentious at worst. It's the reporters version of a technical foul. But without the consequences.
And we're still talking about it. He wins

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And we're still talking about it. He wins
He only wins if we go to his website and respond to him. Otherwise all he is doing is damaging the reputation of one of the players and giving the impression to the casual fan that there is contention on the team when the opposite is the case.

UConn loses in the public perception. He doesn't win anything. And he doesn't lose anything.

Reaction Score
Maybe not embarrassed, but he should be smarter. Twitter has 140 characters - use them better.
Has anyone ever bettered their image on twitter? It seems like half the data on twitter is either misleading or false. An electronic supermarket tabloid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
anysuccess this team has this year will be hard to obtain without having giffey in the storyline.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever bettered their image on twitter? It seems like half the data on twitter is either misleading or false. An electronic supermarket tabloid.

I am going to guess that you do not read Twitter much.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

I didn't think much of it until I started to pay attention to it - it's a remarkable way to get information. This particular kerfuffle aside, the UConn beat guys all do a pretty decent job on Twitter.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
In another thread Zion posted this:

@NeillOstrout: Giffey: “Lasan had a great first half. I had a great first half. Then you end up on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the second half...

@NeillOstrout: More Giffey: ....But it doesn’t matter as long as we win.”

The full quote is different:

"I know everybody on this team could play a whole different role if we were at a different school," Giffey said. "But that shows the mentality of our guys, Lasan had a great first half, I had a great first half and then we were on the bench for 10 minutes — but it doesn't matter as long as we win."

Sadly the abbreviated post has some posters convinced that Giffey is frustrated with his playing time and has bad mouthed the coach in public.

wow, I'll never respect anything NeillOstrout reports again

what a jackwagon, it's a great example of what I despise about the today's media

Reaction Score
Ostrout is one of the best UConn beat writers, IMO. I like him when he was with the Waterbury Republican too. I think this was just a matter of trying to publish something quickly.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
wow, I'll never respect anything NeillOstrout reports again

what a jackwagon, it's a great example of what I despise about the today's media

My guess is he rushed something out without taking the time to check it's content. But in that attempt to get the scoop he presented something that was almost the complete opposite of the statement Giffey made. Just one simple change I had a great first half. Then you end up on the bench for the first 10 minutes vs. I had a great first half and then we were on the bench for 10 minutes — but it doesn't matter as long as we win. and the entire meaning changes. It is why I am very reluctant to take any one statement at face value.

I saw this entire thing play out with Hathaway and his testimony to the NCAA over the Miles incident. Hathaway stated he never saw JC go harder after a recruit which ended up being incriminating. The NCAA took this statement at face value, disregarded the statements of JC and the coaching staff that they went to the compliance department because they wanted to report improprieties and that was what JH was observing. If the NCAA realized the state of the compliance department at UConn, it was gutted by Hathaway, and if the NCAA realized that Hathaway removed himself from the actions of his coaches, the NCAA would have questioned Hathaway further. But the NCAA was led by someone who had a vendetta against JC and it used the Hathaway statement as proof of a problem. In the Hathaway case I believe it was a deliberate attempt to word things in a manner to get JC in trouble. In the Ostrout case it was probably a reporter who was most likely sloppy imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom