Giffey/Calhoun | The Boneyard

Giffey/Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
i noticed that while giffey started, calhoun got more minutes. who do you think gets more PT going into the season? cause no matter who the 6th man is, he'll be a good one :)

Reaction Score
I really think that OC starts but at the end of games Giffey is on the floor. He's an experienced senior with a Ring, who I expect to calm/lead the other players in close late game scenarios. I don't see OC as a leader right now in that situation. OC may get the minutes but when they count I see Giff playing. All of this is moot if one or the other is hot and playing well that game.

Reaction Score
I really think that OC starts but at the end of games Giffey is on the floor. He's an experienced senior with a Ring, who I expect to calm/lead the other players in close late game scenarios. I don't see OC as a leader right now in that situation. OC may get the minutes but when they count I see Giff playing. All of this is moot if one or the other is hot and playing well that game.

At end of the game, it depends on whether they are behind or in front.

Behind = Calhoun
In front=Giffey

Or go very small and play them both

Somehow I think this might not be a problem this year with all the players fouling out.
The teams with depth might have a special year--unless the refs give up the new directives, which may happen before Feb.

Reaction Score
I like starting OC
Giffey can handle not starting and the increase in defensive intensity coming off the bench will make us a better team
I don't see KO not starting his co-captains.

Reaction Score
The vets started the first exhibition game. Opening night could very well be different.

Reaction Score
If Bazz is going to start off games as a distributor and trying to get others involved I would rather Omar start, he's the better scorer. I liked that Niels seemed more assertive and wasn't hesitating on getting his shots up but I need to see them go down before I start to believe that he can put up dbl figure scoring games on the regular.

Reaction Score
If Bazz is going to start off games as a distributor and trying to get others involved I would rather Omar start, he's the better scorer. I liked that Niels seemed more assertive and wasn't hesitating on getting his shots up but I need to see them go down before I start to believe that he can put up dbl figure scoring games on the regular.
true but giff has the tools to be the best shooter in the squad. With either one we're fine; running an offense centered on screen and rolls well need weakside shooters. Bigs need to really storm down the lane on rolls to open up those shots. both also solid defensively, omar does have the edge in iso; but does that matter?

Reaction Score
I would rather see Omar come off the bench. Niels has a much more complete game. I would like to see Omar in a John Gwynn role this season.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I would like to see how Giffey does starting games. With his defense, rebounding, and improved offensive assertiveness, I could see Giffey helping the team to come and build leads early in the game. Omar could be the scoring spark off the bench.

This is Giffey's last year and I would like to see him get a chance to shine. If he does not deliver, then fine. I would rather not have the decision be based on who can handle not starting better, but that is obviously up to KO.

Reaction Score
i noticed that while giffey started, calhoun got more minutes. who do you think gets more PT going into the season? cause no matter who the 6th man is, he'll be a good one :)

A great problem to have.

Giffey with the first unit because he compliments SN and RB better. Calhoun is the lead scorer of the second unit.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
I would like to see how Giffey does starting games. With his defense, rebounding, and improved offensive assertiveness, I could see Giffey helping the team to come and build leads early in the game. Omar could be the scoring spark off the bench.

This is Giffey's last year and I would like to see him get a chance to shine. If he does not deliver, then fine. I would rather not have the decision be based on who can handle not starting better, but that is obviously up to KO.

I like Giffey's size as a more traditional 3. He's a better rebounder and I'd like him to have the opportunity to start this season, but Omar needs to be a great player for us too as he has the ability to explode for points in a way that Giffey can't match.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I don't understand the question and I really don't understand K's reply. Who started last year? Who finished games last year? Not Giffey.

Reaction Score
I like starting OC
Giffey can handle not starting and the increase in defensive intensity coming off the bench will make us a better team
Id rather have the defensive intensity from the start to dictate the tone early and put the other team on its heels.

Reaction Score
seeing as Omar is coming off double hip surgery and may not be up to game speed, i would go with Giffey starting. however i do think Omar is a better pure shooter, and have no problems with him taking a last second shot...Giffey, not so much. like upstater said, if we are up, Giffey, if we are down Omar

Reaction Score
If OC's shot starts falling he might be in there at the end of the games- he is our "pure" SG after all.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the question and I really don't understand K's reply. Who started last year? Who finished games last year? Not Giffey.

Huh? Giffey played a lot in crunch time last season, specifically early in the season when Calhoun was struggling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Huh? Giffey played a lot in crunch time last season, specifically early in the season when Calhoun was struggling.

I think you enforce my main point. I remember Calhoun making shots in big spots late. Omar being the first choice.

Reaction Score
My guess is that Omar will end up being the starter, but I actually like the team with Giffey at the starting 3. It gives the team better size, defense, and rebounding, and I think Niels has a more all-around game. Then, when Calhoun comes in, he can provide a nice scoring spark off the bench. And, I also really liked what I saw from Kromah in the exhibition and think he'll earn himself a chunk of minutes himself.

This is certainly a very good problem to have. I don't know if it's just being excited for the season, but UConn seriously seems stacked this year. We've got star players, we've got scoring, good depth. Rebounding may be a concern at times, but I absolutely think we've got a top 10 squad. People are sleeping on UConn this year.

Reaction Score
I think you enforce my main point. I remember Calhoun making shots in big spots late. Omar being the first choice.

Well, they're different players. Just as important as making big shots is preventing the other guys from making big shots, and Giffey certainly did that much better than Omar last season. Also, I think the discrepancy between Giffey's offense and Omar's offense is less than the difference between Omar's defense and Giff's defense. Omar was the worst defender on the team last season, Giffey may have been the best. I'll grant you, Omar seems like somebody who craves the big shot more so than does a guy like Giffey, but in the final minutes of games they are both going to be performing the same duties for the most part: spacing the floor for DeAndre, Boat, and Shabazz. So gun to my head, if it's a tie game with a minute left and there are no timeouts left (so you can't go offense/defense), I'll choose Giffey by a hair.

Of course, it's very possible one of these players could take a leap and there won't be any discussion. If Giffey becomes more reliable as a weapon offensively, it's a no-brainer - he has to be on the court during the last few minutes. But if Calhoun's defense progresses and it becomes clear his hip was a major detriment to his defense last season (as I suspect), you play him. Either way, it's a good problem to have.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Giffey becomes more reliable as a weapon offensively, it's a no-brainer - he has to be on the court during the last few minutes.

Just to be clear, I totally agree with this. I love Giffey, 24 minutes in the NC game as a frosh. But I've been waiting for that shot to become more consistant and I just wonder if he is what he is at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom