Get to Know Napheesa Collier | The Boneyard

Get to Know Napheesa Collier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Considers herself a Forward. Will be interesting to see how Geno uses her. 2G or Wing?

Gut feeling, she'll end up as the best of this years Freshmen before she graduates.

CRNcJQjWoAAQQGU.jpg

Reaction Score
She never lifted weights before getting to UCONN? Don't many of the power BB high schools have significant weight programs? (Mater Dei does, for instance) Pheese should have a lot of room to grow!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nah... natural talents in HS, Mater Dei is like a prep school... could have better resources.

Kevin Durant is popular, so is Beyoncé along with Geno and IPhone.

While geezers are stalking Twitter they're over on Instagram :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Will be interesting to see how Geno uses her. 2G or Wing?

Regardless of how Geno uses her, Teams are going to have a hardtime just matching up with her. She is the energize bunny on steriods. Dennis Rodman energy and reflexes.
She never lifted weights before getting to UCONN? Don't many of the power BB high schools have significant weight programs? (Mater Dei does, for instance)
Actually no, most HS don't lift weights. Read an article a few years back Hallmarks of a good HS basketball Programs, weighting lifting and film study were two of the best descriminators.

Reaction Score
I love these interviews. Another special freshman in all aspects; intelligence, charisma, and charm. But on the court she is all business non stop. I am struck by the presence D'J and Pheeze. They are both just young freshmen but exude confidence about who they are and how special it is to be a UCONN Husky WCBB player.

Reaction Score
"Why is that even a question? Who picks Android?"
"I'm gonna say CD just to make Geno mad."

When they do KLS she'll be the tie-breaker between CD and Geno.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Considers herself a Forward. Will be interesting to see how Geno uses her. 2G or Wing?

Gut feeling, she'll end up as the best of this years Freshmen before she graduates.

CRNcJQjWoAAQQGU.jpg

I share your gut feeling. The sky is the limit for this young woman.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Imagine Moriah with size.This young lady,according to Geno,has her motor in constant motion,just like Moriah seems to do.There is no doubt,in my mind,that Katie Lou will become a special player,and that J.B. has the potential to be very solid,or better.However,if I was to pick,today,who I think the next,biggest,star will be,then I pick Collier,with no reservations.Not only does she have the talent and drive,she exhibits the desire and focus to make a difference,at both ends of the court,at all times.In my opinion,of the three,she has the potential to be one of those girls who becomes one of the best Connecticut has given us the pleasure of being able to follow,watch,and admire for four years.
I cannot imagine,if Connecticut does get Walker,and our Texas desire,this team doing anything but winning convincingly for the next few years.
If that happens,I hope I am allowed to be alive to relish it.

Reaction Score
OK. We've weighed in on the kind of season to expect, which team might have the best chance to beat UConn, and who will be on the starting five. Now: here's a new question: Could you make up 2 teams from the current crop of Husky players that might each have a shot at going undefeated this year? (That's how excited I am with the quality and depth of this bunch.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Could you make up 2 teams from the current crop of Husky players that might each have a shot at going undefeated this year?
No. With a roster of 13 players (6 on one team 7 on the other) that would mean playing a minimum of 33 Minutes per game ( every game) for an entire season. They would be dead, beat up or injured, by Christmas.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've watched Napheesa play the past three years after she transferred to Incarnate Word Academy here in St. Louis. It is an all girls school and I don't believe had a weight lifting program. The only thing keeping Napheesa from being an immediate impact player is a lack of a mid to long range game. In high school she seldom shot jumpers because her coach had her posting up so often. Maybe in the national tournaments in which she played she shot jumpers but rarely in St. Louis. She told me she wanted to play wing. She would be good at the position Gabby Williams played last year. She jumps high and can be effective against taller players.

Reaction Score

CRNcJQjWoAAQQGU.jpg

I fell in love with her "game" during the USA games--dynamic, tough, aggressive, can defend and can score, apparently from all over. I too believe before graduation, she among the 3, will be a serious standout.
Until recently I never got to see that most beautiful face--she is a 10 plus.
I was impressed with Boykins words, and assets--then to find out Dad was a Marine--Semper Fi!!!

Reaction Score
Imagine Moriah with size.This young lady,according to Geno,has her motor in constant motion,just like Moriah seems to do.There is no doubt,in my mind,that Katie Lou will become a special player,and that J.B. has the potential to be very solid,or better.However,if I was to pick,today,who I think the next,biggest,star will be,then I pick Collier,with no reservations.Not only does she have the talent and drive,she exhibits the desire and focus to make a difference,at both ends of the court,at all times.In my opinion,of the three,she has the potential to be one of those girls who becomes one of the best Connecticut has given us the pleasure of being able to follow,watch,and admire for four years.
I cannot imagine,if Connecticut does get Walker,and our Texas desire,this team doing anything but winning convincingly for the next few years.
If that happens,I hope I am allowed to be alive to relish it.
Lots of love for this beautiful, talented young woman. I too hope I shall be blessed with time to watch HER win 3 more championships (this year Stewie and Moriah will win one). I agree with every word you have said!!
Another poster has said she could fill the position relegated to Gabby this year --jumps as well, and (has proven) she can rebound with the bigs (in USA). Her mid range and long shots were working pretty well for her in the USA.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
One of Napheesa's many attributes that doesn't get mentioned as much because of her many other positives is her length. Her arms are really long. Not quite Stewie long but it is very noticeable. Her arms are longer than Boykin or KLS, it appears to me. She has an absolutely great physique for playing basketball: Tall, long, slender but not skinny. Probably can add muscle once she gets to lifting.

Come on, season. I don't know if I can hold on much longer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One of Napheesa's many attributes that doesn't get mentioned as much because of her many other positives is her length. Her arms are really long. Not quite Stewie long but it is very noticeable. Her arms are longer than Boykin or KLS, it appears to me. She has an absolutely great physique for playing basketball: Tall, long, slender but not skinny. Probably can add muscle once she gets to lifting.

Great minds think alike.

"I think we're both really long, and we both can do a lot more things, Napheesa is more of a slasher and nice pullups and finishers, and I hit the three well. ... Overall, since we're so long and big, we can rebound a lot together. I think it's going to be fun playing with her these four years."

KLS June 2015.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The only thing keeping Napheesa from being an immediate impact player is a lack of a mid to long range game. In high school she seldom shot jumpers because her coach had her posting up so often. Maybe in the national tournaments in which she played she shot jumpers but rarely in St. Louis.

Don't worry, her mid-range game is excellent. Saw her plenty at IW, with team USA, and in AAU games.

Reaction Score

Great observation, Gus! Napheesa's arms are really long. We constantly hear about the importance of how tall a kid is, but until Stewie came along, I don't recall any conversations about the advantages of great arm length. I have long thought that arm length is a distinct asset to a kid's success.

Both Moriah and Morgan are also clearly blessed with very long arms- not Stewie-long but definitely longer than most. Of course, Moriah has incredible quickness, and Morgan has spectacular timing and footwork. But their exceptional arm length enables them to play much taller than they are, and it gives them distinct advantages on both sides of the ball. With their great reach they can to do things other kids cannot do.

Stewie, Moriah and Morgan have very special skillsets and ferocious motors and all are complemented by uncommon arm length. And they have become extraordinary players. Napheesa has the ability to one day join this special trio.

[A good omen: the last time I saw arms as skinny as Napheesa's? A freshman Stewie!!]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great observation, Gus! Napheesa's arms are really long. We constantly hear about the importance of how tall a kid is, but until Stewie came along, I don't recall any conversations about the advantages of great arm length. I have long thought that arm length is a distinct asset to a kid's success.
upload_2015-10-14_9-13-13.png

This article says the average wingspan-to-height ratio is 1.01:1. Average for NBA players is 1.06:1, “greater than the diagnostic criteria for Marfan syndrome, a disorder of the body’s connective tissues that often results in elongated limbs.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...ketball_players_wingspans_are_absurd_and.html

If Stewie is 6'4" and her wingspan is 7'1", then her ratio is 1.18:1. This is higher than ALL the NBA "extreme" examples given in the article:

1.07:1 Dwight Howard
1.08:1 Shaquille O'Neal
1.08:1 DeAndre Jordan
1.10:1 Kevin Durant
1.10:1 Anthony Davis

Reaction Score
View attachment 10808
This article says the average wingspan-to-height ratio is 1.01:1. Average for NBA players is 1.06:1, “greater than the diagnostic criteria for Marfan syndrome, a disorder of the body’s connective tissues that often results in elongated limbs.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...ketball_players_wingspans_are_absurd_and.html

If Stewie is 6'4" and her wingspan is 7'1", then her ratio is 1.18:1. This is higher than ALL the NBA "extreme" examples given in the article:

1.07:1 Dwight Howard
1.08:1 Shaquille O'Neal
1.08:1 DeAndre Jordan
1.10:1 Kevin Durant
1.10:1 Anthony Davis
They always say that Stewie "has the wingspan of a 7'1" player", which is different than a 7'1" wingspan. At halftime of the 2014 NC game they showed a picture of Moriah measuring Stewie's wingspan; if you pause the video, you can see that it measures 6'10", which is a ratio of 1.05:1 for a 6'4" player. (That's 1.16 Brias):p;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yup. Looks to be fundamentally sound.

Not that I would know. :confused:
Don't want to follow my lead, huh? I, like many, speak/write of many things of which I know nothing!! Otherwise this page would be blank. (speaking only for myself).
Collier, is all they say and a L o T more . My expectations for this young lady, I hesitate to put on paper, is through the roof.

Reaction Score
They always say that Stewie "has the wingspan of a 7'1" player", which is different than a 7'1" wingspan. At halftime of the 2014 NC game they showed a picture of Moriah measuring Stewie's wingspan; if you pause the video, you can see that it measures 6'10", which is a ratio of 1.05:1 for a 6'4" player. (That's 1.16 Brias):p;):rolleyes:
Not much different, and the wingspan of a 7'1" player should be greater than 7'1". The study said they found ONE NBA player with a wingspan actually less than his height (J.J. Redick). Even an average human should have a wingspan slightly greater than their height. If Stewie has the wingspan of an average 7'1" player, then it should be significantly more than 6'10". ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom