Georgios Papagiannis (No College - Playing Pro Overseas) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgios Papagiannis (No College - Playing Pro Overseas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get it... Amida has his great and poor points. But the comparison was just dumb, imo. You compared a guy who played tons of minutes on a mediocre team to a guy who played 12mpg on a loaded team. In retrospect, did you want Travis taking some of the shots that the pros on that team took? That team was loaded - KO, Sheffer, Donny, Donyell, Ray, Brian Fair. In those years we hardly ever posted our 5's as they were screeners for our wings coming off curls. Travis and Hayward were supposed to be warm bodies to give fouls, play positional D, and grab some boards. They gave us 6, 7, and 2 blocks and almost 5 fouls in 28 mpg. Pretty solid.

It wasn't my comparison. I was disagreeing with the person who said he was worse than sophomore Knight.

And no, it wasn't solid. Knight was bad. That he was playing with good players doesn't change this. A player who isn't asked to do much on offense should see his efficiency go up, but Knight shot both infrequently and poorly, so he provided almost no value on offense. His defensive value was largely negated by the fact that he fouled every 5 minutes.

By his junior year, Knight had fixed most of his problems, and by his senior year, he was terrific. But he was nowhere near as good as Brimah before that.

Reaction Score
It wasn't my comparison. I was disagreeing with the person who said he was worse than sophomore Knight.

And no, it wasn't solid. Knight was bad. That he was playing with good players doesn't change this. A player who isn't asked to do much on offense should see his efficiency go up, but Knight shot both infrequently and poorly, so he provided almost no value on offense. His defensive value was largely negated by the fact that he fouled every 5 minutes.

By his junior year, Knight had fixed most of his problems, and by his senior year, he was terrific. But he was nowhere near as good as Brimah before that.

God you don't budge do you? Really lame in that regard I must say.

Travis was not at all "bad", never despite your need to label him as such. Never......as a matter of fact there is an argument and a good one. But you really needed to look at the 2 teams and the requirements, not just the players as boog said. They weren't afraid to throw Travis the ball, he could pass. Dod he turn it over, yes at times. Could Amida had handled it at the top of the key as much and picked for people? NO ....he only hands the ball off or else we all take a deep breath when he threw a pass.

Neither were great or close. Both had strengths and weaknesses. One played on a team where the front court and forward options were plain awful, the other wasn't needed for 26 minutes so maybe you're right, it's an unfair comparison. But to call one a lot better than the other is ignorant, at best!

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I thought sophomore Travis Knight was pretty freaking awful. But I'm at a loss as to how or why anyone would compare him with Brimah... different players, skill sets, teams, roles... blah blah.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I thought sophomore Travis Knight was pretty freaking awful. But I'm at a loss as to how or why anyone would compare him with Brimah... different players, skill sets, teams, roles... blah blah.

That's your opinion and well stated one I may add. They were different for sure but they were also playing the center spot for UConn for the most part so that would be why. Everyone gave their opinion on their soph years so let's jump ahead.

If Amida is as good as Travis in other ways besides blocking shots, and learns the game enough to be able to do the right things, which Travis did, he will be a really good player for us more than likely better than Travis. But if he continues to not understand the game as we see it, he will never be Travis. I'm obviously hoping to see tremendous strides in his understanding of the game starting next year. We will see.

Next

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
is he really Greek or was he born in Niger?

Greek guys take the cash, African projects choose us

Reaction Score
I guess i'm just more surprised that there isn't more of a middle ground when it comes to people's opinions on him.

He's an obviously flawed player who needs to improve in some key areas if he's going to be what this team NEEDS him to be (and if he wants to play in the NBA), but just because he hasn't taken everyone's pre-prescribed roadmap to that point... I don't see how that makes him a bust.

I'm big into advanced metrics in baseball but in basketball i'm more of a novice so bear with me (and if someone who's better at this can unscrew my logic, please do) - but a lot jumps off the page about him to me. For one, his win shares per 40 min (WS/40) is really freaking high. National average is .100. His was .191. His overall win shares almost doubled (2.5 to 4.4 WS) from his freshman season. He almost doubled his point scoring, maintained his high block rate and carved his fouls down by a full third of what they were last year. He found more of a niche in the offense towards the end of the year and even bumped up his FT shooting % by 8 points. That paints a picture to me - of a guy who's headed in the right direction.

Rebounding is still a huge issue and the lack of development there is concerning - but I'm just surprised it's been as much of a back breaker for people as it has been. Especially within the context of the pieces around him. I'm not ready to call Brimah the next anyone at this point and sure - a part of me wonders if there's anymore in there - but on the whole, I was pleased enough with his development this year...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Rebounding is still a huge issue and the lack of development there is concerning - but I'm just surprised it's been as much of a back breaker for people as it has been. Especially within the context of the pieces around him.
People are pretty dumb. Try to remember that.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything 'dumb' about being worried about his rebounding not improving an iota. I just don't think it's time to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of it. I mean let's say that improves this offseason and nothing else does. That's a pretty freaking great college basketball center, right?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything 'dumb' about being worried about his rebounding not improving an iota. I just don't think it's time to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of it. I mean let's say that improves this offseason and nothing else does. That's a pretty freaking great college basketball center, right?
Right. But even with his poor rebounding, he's been a massive asset for this team over the last two years.

Folks like yourself (and others) who offer balanced analysis aren't dumb. I'm a big Brimah fan but I agree 100% that he needs to improve in some crucial areas - strength, rebounding and defensive recognition being the big three - and that if he does, our ceiling as a team goes way up.

I also think that, as your previous post indicated, Brimah showed tremendous improvement from freshman to sophomore year despite missing the entire summer with shoulder surgery. So I'm bullish on what we'll see out of him as a junior.

The dumb folks are the ones who say he didn't improve (they also tend to say the same about Facey, which is even more laughable), and seem to think he won't improve.

It's ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I guess i'm just more surprised that there isn't more of a middle ground when it comes to people's opinions on him.

He's an obviously flawed player who needs to improve in some key areas if he's going to be what this team NEEDS him to be (and if he wants to play in the NBA), but just because he hasn't taken everyone's pre-prescribed roadmap to that point... I don't see how that makes him a bust.

I'm big into advanced metrics in baseball but in basketball i'm more of a novice so bear with me (and if someone who's better at this can unscrew my logic, please do) - but a lot jumps off the page about him to me. For one, his win shares per 40 min (WS/40) is really freaking high. National average is .100. His was .191. His overall win shares almost doubled (2.5 to 4.4 WS) from his freshman season. He almost doubled his point scoring, maintained his high block rate and carved his fouls down by a full third of what they were last year. He found more of a niche in the offense towards the end of the year and even bumped up his FT shooting % by 8 points. That paints a picture to me - of a guy who's headed in the right direction.

Rebounding is still a huge issue and the lack of development there is concerning - but I'm just surprised it's been as much of a back breaker for people as it has been. Especially within the context of the pieces around him. I'm not ready to call Brimah the next anyone at this point and sure - a part of me wonders if there's anymore in there - but on the whole, I was pleased enough with his development this year...

Pretty sure no one has called him a bust nor has he been close tot that. But you need to know he's probably more in between what some deem as a lot better and others deem to be short on game (me). He's probably going to improve with Miller and Enoch joining but it's up to him how much from here on in. He could stay as is, be a solid player for us no doubt. But to be who he wants to be and honestly who he should be, he has a couple flights to walk up. He can do it and I'm sure everyone in their right mind is rooting for him to. Just some people seem to believe criticism is hate or disrespect for whatever reason? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Right. But even with his poor rebounding, he's been a massive asset for this team over the last two years.

Folks like yourself (and others) who offer balanced analysis aren't dumb. I'm a big Brimah fan but I agree 100% that he needs to improve in some crucial areas - strength, rebounding and defensive recognition being the big three - and that if he does, our ceiling as a team goes way up.

I also think that, as your previous post indicated, Brimah showed tremendous improvement from freshman to sophomore year despite missing the entire summer with shoulder surgery. So I'm bullish on what we'll see out of him as a junior.

The dumb folks are the ones who say he didn't improve (they also tend to say the same about Facey, which is even more laughable), and seem to think he won't improve.

It's ridiculous.

I like you a nd your posts but again, I think many of those who you think are saying he didn't improve think he did. Just not as much as many do believe he did. And watching every aspect of the game he nor Facey improved tremendously and while you think that's ridiculous I don't. And I know we are not alone but neither are you!

Reaction Score
To re-iterate what a few others have said in this thread, Brimah is a flawed player with God-given gifts that often make him indispensable even in the worst of times. If you need any evidence that he was a vitally important player for us last season, check his on/off splits - no other player, not even Boatright, caused the team to crater in their absence like AB did. Some of that can be attributed to our lack of depth at the position, but purely by virtue of two things he does really well - crash the rim on offense and protect the rim on defense - he is an extremely valuable player in today's game.

I didn't think he deserved to win defensive player of the year, though. In reality, he probably wasn't even the best defensive player on his own team. His tendency to over-pursue ball-handlers and needlessly lunge at shooters is infuriating, and as a center, rebounding is 100% part of the job description and his failure in that department should have been factored in to the DPOY voting. AB winning DPOY kind of reminds me of Fab Melo winning Big East DPOY in 2012, even though Gorgui Dieng was way more deserving.

Still, though, I don't think we should yet some of the overriding flaws that will define his sophomore season overshadow the spurts of dominance we did see from him. The Florida game, in particular, stands out as one of his best moments as a Husky - he was extremely disciplined and in-tune with his footwork in the closing possessions of that game. The waning moments of the Cincinnati and Tulsa games were also examples of how debilitating he can be to opposing offenses when he's thinking the game at a high level.

We should also remember that, although AB will likely never be more than an adequate rebounder, he will be flanked by two of the best rebounding forwards in the country next season in Hamilton and Miller. He is going to have free reign to chase blocks all over the court and elevate our defense back to UConn quality in the process.

Reaction Score
We should also remember that, although AB will likely never be more than an adequate rebounder, he will be flanked by two of the best rebounding forwards in the country next season in Hamilton and Miller. He is going to have free reign to chase blocks all over the court and elevate our defense back to UConn quality in the process.

This is a great point. The team had several deficiencies last year, but the utter lack of rebounding was the most glaring. Adding an elite rebounder like Shonn Miller (6th best defensive rebounding% in the country last year) is such a big addition. Our defensive numbers were actually pretty good last season, but we couldn't finish possessions by securing a rebound.

We may have had a down year and will be losing our top scorer, but there's a lot of reason for optimism next year. We will be a much more well-rounded team next season, and our starting 5 is extremely talented. If the rumors of Sterling Gibbs come to fruition, I really believe we could be a Final 4 caliber team. That's a big leap given what we accomplished in 2015, but we've all seen firsthand what can happen when a UConn team has all the right pieces.

caw

Reaction Score
This is a great point. The team had several deficiencies last year, but the utter lack of rebounding was the most glaring. Adding an elite rebounder like Shonn Miller (6th best defensive rebounding% in the country last year) is such a big addition. Our defensive numbers were actually pretty good last season, but we couldn't finish possessions by securing a rebound.

We may have had a down year and will be losing our top scorer, but there's a lot of reason for optimism next year. We will be a much more well-rounded team next season, and our starting 5 is extremely talented. If the rumors of Sterling Gibbs come to fruition, I really believe we could be a Final 4 caliber team. That's a big leap given what we accomplished in 2015, but we've all seen firsthand what can happen when a UConn team has all the right pieces.

Miller is also considered a very good defender.

Reaction Score

Good point here too. While Amida is a shot blocker and went after a high percentage, he was flanked by young, inexperienced defenders of the block, which also assisted in calling out his defensive weaknesses. A good team has people able to adjust down low and help where required and a Miller may just do that. Let's be honest in defense of both Facey and AB neither were very good at being where they were supposed to be on defense and having 2 in the game makes matters much worst. With Miller and another year under their belt I would expect the defense down low to be a lot more stingy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good point here too. While Amida is a shot blocker and went after a high percentage, he was flanked by young, inexperienced defenders of the block, which also assisted in calling out his defensive weaknesses. A good team has people able to adjust down low and help where required and a Miller may just do that. Let's be honest in defense of both Facey and AB neither were very good at being where they were supposed to be on defense and having 2 in the game makes matters much worst. With Miller and another year under their belt I would expect the defense down low to be a lot more stingy.
And this was the deficiency of the team last season. If you put in the better rebounder in Kentan you had a tremendous liability with defense. If you put in the better defender in Phil you had a tremendous liability with rebounding. Miller appears to be superior to any of last seasons fours. Ditto on the offensive end. One player has the potential to shore up the most glaring deficiency. IMO Deandre would have made a huge difference with the way things worked out had he stayed.

This season everything hinges on the ability of Jalen to run the show! That's a tall order for a freshman. Which is why I'm hoping that UConn can get Sterling Gibbs. No one can predict how quickly four new players can integrate with the team. Nor can we be certain that their skills will be complimentary to the existing team. But I would love the opportunity to observe it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
To re-iterate what a few others have said in this thread, Brimah is a flawed player with God-given gifts that often make him indispensable even in the worst of times. If you need any evidence that he was a vitally important player for us last season, check his on/off splits - no other player, not even Boatright, caused the team to crater in their absence like AB did. Some of that can be attributed to our lack of depth at the position, but purely by virtue of two things he does really well - crash the rim on offense and protect the rim on defense - he is an extremely valuable player in today's game.

I didn't think he deserved to win defensive player of the year, though. In reality, he probably wasn't even the best defensive player on his own team. His tendency to over-pursue ball-handlers and needlessly lunge at shooters is infuriating, and as a center, rebounding is 100% part of the job description and his failure in that department should have been factored in to the DPOY voting. AB winning DPOY kind of reminds me of Fab Melo winning Big East DPOY in 2012, even though Gorgui Dieng was way more deserving.

Still, though, I don't think we should yet some of the overriding flaws that will define his sophomore season overshadow the spurts of dominance we did see from him. The Florida game, in particular, stands out as one of his best moments as a Husky - he was extremely disciplined and in-tune with his footwork in the closing possessions of that game. The waning moments of the Cincinnati and Tulsa games were also examples of how debilitating he can be to opposing offenses when he's thinking the game at a high level.

What he said ^
Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member