Georgia Tech's loss underscores ACC's difficult balancing act with Notre Dame | The Boneyard

Georgia Tech's loss underscores ACC's difficult balancing act with Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/...-accs-difficult-balancing-act-with-notre-dame

>>Everything about the ACC’s relationship with Notre Dame is a tenuous dance. It needs the Irish to win in order to get high-profile matchups and build the league’s strength of schedule. It needs the Irish to lose when they play key games against the ACC’s supposed elite. It needs Notre Dame’s audience to care about ACC football, but it needs to ensure the success of its own brand, too, because the bottom line for the foreseeable future is that the ACC needs Notre Dame a lot more than Notre Dame needs the ACC.<<

>>This is life under the ACC’s agreement with Notre Dame. The Irish have full membership in all sports except football, but remain in more of a “friends with benefits” relationship in the sport that matters most. If Notre Dame excels on the football field, the Irish enjoy the fruits of their own victories -- wins that will come, almost certainly, at the expense of an ACC contender. And if Notre Dame struggles, any wins for Clemson or Florida State or others down the road will do little to amplify the résumés for those programs.<<

>>In the meantime, the balancing act continues. Notre Dame heads to Clemson in less than two weeks, and if the Irish magic continues just a little longer, it might all but assure the ACC’s absence from this year’s playoff. If it doesn’t, the Tigers will have a marquee win for now, and they’ll need to root for Notre Dame for the next two months in hopes they can keep it.

Or perhaps, if we're writing potential scripts for the future, Clemson beats the Irish, then both win out. And then maybe Georgia Tech finds its way to the ACC title game, where it beats Clemson. And then at year's end, it comes down to this: Notre Dame or Georgia Tech for the final playoff bid. If that happens, rest assured, Notre Dame is definitely in the playoff and not the ACC.<<

seinfeld-popcorn-gif.gif

Reaction Score
GT lost this year to Notre Dame...FSU won last year....good competition is good.

The problem is that Ohio State beats a MAC team at home by 7...FSU shuts out BC on the road and FSU drops...

It is all public perception.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
GT lost this year to Notre Dame...FSU won last year....good competition is good.

The problem is that Ohio State beats a MAC team at home by 7...FSU shuts out BC on the road and FSU drops...

But NIU's a better program than BC. Oh hey, you're right--it IS all public perception!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Ohio St is in full blown cruise control until they play Michigan State. Their #1 ranking will not get threatened whatsoever until that game.

There are a lot of people out there who would consider NIU to be better than BC. Winning ugly at BC does not help anyone's playoff resume.

Reaction Score
I guess that we will see Saturday.....NIU and BC match up.

Vegas has BC by 4....throw up your money, should be a good game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ohio St is in full blown cruise control until they play Michigan State. Their #1 ranking will not get threatened whatsoever until that game.

There are a lot of people out there who would consider NIU to be better than BC. Winning ugly at BC does not help anyone's playoff resume.

Believe it or not...winning at BC allowed FSU to set a modern college defensive record. The only team to shut out a team that had scored 75 or more the week before.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Believe it or not...winning at BC allowed FSU to set a modern college defensive record. The only team to shut out a team that had scored 75 or more the week before.

Howard gave up 49 to Appalachian St the week before. That same big bad Eagle offense barely put up 24 on Maine in their huge New England rivalry game in week 1. Colour me unimpressed. Sorry.

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of cupcakes played by teams the last 60 years...still a record. Hard to shut out a team on the road. Even Maine put up 3.

Just an addition to the record set by FSU, in 1968, of holding a team to 80 points fewer than the week before.

I thought that keeping BC from crossing the 50 except once (to the 39) was good defensive football.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm continually baffled by whatever it is that makes one think anyone who posts here gives a duck* about what Florida State does or any of their supposed records.

Is it just me?

Reaction Score

NIU was ready to break down brick walls to beat #1. BC was just hoping to make it though the game without breaking down.

Reaction Score
I'm continually baffled by whatever it is that makes one think anyone who posts here gives a duck* about what Florida State does or any of their supposed records.

Is it just me?

Beat me to it...

Reaction Score

Does Howard even offer football scholarships?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Is it just me?

I don't know, I can think of a few reasons why I give a duck* about FSU football.

florida-state-bleacher-report.jpg

Reaction Score
When ND get's snubbed and doesn't make the BCS playoff, the noise to join a conference will get LOUDER. In the ACC, they have a clear path to a National Championship.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know, I can think of a few reasons why I give a duck* about FSU football.

florida-state-bleacher-report.jpg

I'm curious as to the significance of a crucifix tattoo #3 has right above her pubic mound.

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
I'm curious as to the significance of a crucifix tattoo #3 has right above her pubic mound.

She thought that if she got that, belly shirts would be appropriate church attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom